Pumpkin Bars & Maple Frosting

Comfy Belly: Pumpkin Bars

It’s pumpkin season for some of us, so consider yourself warned. Another thing: A couple of readers have asked me to post a cream cheese frosting recipe, but I can’t do that without giving you something to spread it on. Hence, these pumpkin bars.

Comfy Belly: Pumpkin Bars

Looking at a quick list of the pumpkin cake and bread recipes I’ve posted in the past, there is a clearly something missing.

These bars are light, compact, and a bit on the sweet side, at least for me. So you might want to reduce the maple syrup or honey by a teaspoon or so if you find it too sweet. The cream cheese frosting is a nice balance to this tender spicy bar, but feel free to leave them naked.

My photos show a crème fraîche topping because I didn’t have cream cheese on hand. I whipped 8 ounces of crème fraîche with about 2 tablespoons of maple syrup until it was light, like regular whipped cream, and then spread it over the bars. But if you’re not dairy-free, the cream cheese frosting is the way to go.

In lieu of the dairy-based maple cream cheese frosting, I’ve also offered up a dairy-free maple frosting using soaked cashews. You’ll need to prepare this one ahead of time by soaking the cashews for about 3 hours.

Comfy Belly: Pumpkin Bars

Posted in Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  22 Comments

22 Responses to Pumpkin Bars & Maple Frosting

1. Christina Johnson says:

I am on day 3 of intro diet for scd. My ears have sooo much pressure they feel like they are going to pop. Is that normal??

2. Beth says:

I just made these, and they are delicious! I used only 1/4 cup of maple syrup in all, and felt no need to add more upon tasting the scrumptious batter. And although when I make them again, I will plan ahead and try them with frosting, they were perfect with a drizzle of coconut milk, maple syrup and a tiny sea salt sprinkle. Thanks for sharing!

3. Mary says:

I served these to my mom & in-laws last night and they were a hit! They took 38 minutes in the oven at 350 to cook all the way through, and they were very moist. I think when I make these next I’ll reduce the maple syrup by two tablespoons or even 1/4 cup. Also, in the icing, I added 1/4 tsp of Penzey’s double strength vanilla, which is equivalent to 1/2 tsp of commercial vanilla, because everything is always better with vanilla. My mother-in-law commented that she would not know they were gluten-free if I had not told them. Thanks for the great recipe!

Yes, these are moist. I have also reduced the maple syrup by 1 tablespoon and others have as well – see the comments—one person went from 3/4 to 1/4 of maple syrup with great results.

• Mary says:

I just made these again tonight and reduced the maple syrup in the bars according to the new instructions. I’m liking them a lot better with less moisture! They turned out great with only 1/2 cup maple syrup.

4. Dina says:

These look delish. Any chance I could use almond flour instead? I’m not a fan of coconut and sadly I miss out on super yummy treats like these.

5. Pingback: Baked | Bigfoot Child Have Diabetes

6. Pingback: Kristine Rudolph » Explore More : October 18th

7. Alanna says:

These pumpkin bars look delicious, and I love that ingredient list – yum!

8. Erin says:

My daughter and I just sampled a fresh batch of these pumpkin bars with the frosting. Yum! A new favorite fall treat! Thanks for another terrific recipe.

9. bree says:

Looks amazing. Would flax eggs work in place of egg? Im on a strict elimination diet for nursing.

10. AniaK says:

I’ve never made a cashew frosting before and really wanted to try it. I followed all the steps, but it came out incredibly runny. What could have happened? Could I have soaked the cashews too long? And how does one fix such a problem in cashew frosting?

yes, it is a bit thinner. I usually put it in the refrigerator before using it. You would need to reduce the liquid in it (like the apple juice). I just edited the amount of apple juice to thicken it. It should still be sweet enough.

11. Tracey F. says:

I thought maple syrup was NOT SCD legal?

12. Julia says:

These are amazing!! I made a double batch-gone!! Kids love them and I cannot get them to eat veggies normally. Making a quadruple batch now and freezing for lunches. My frosting ended up runny tho with the syrup added- thoughts on this? Don’t think I need the syrup, really.

you might be right about the dairy-free frosting – I refrigerate it and frost so it’s thicker. I think it could work well with less syrup and apple juice, and maybe add cinnamon to up the sweetness. I’ll revisit this.