This is one of our favorite “smoothies.” This is really more of a slushy because I use fruit, some juice, possibly some ice, and blend away. A great cooler to have after varsity tennis practice (in our case), on a hot day, or with a spicy dish. Strawberries are still showing up here, but when they aren’t, I use frozen strawberries.
It’s important to drink and eat something within an hour of a physical activity to aid your body in replenishing nutrients, fluids, repair any tired, sore, and injured muscles, and prevent a drop in blood sugar. During an activity, replenish fluids and if possible, some carbohydrates (a piece of fresh or dried fruit is an easy one), every 60 minutes of activity. Afterward, choose meals that replenish fluids, carbohydrates, protein, and salt.
This recipe is using just strawberries, but I add extra fruit when I have it around or if I want to adjust the flavor of the slushy. Watermelon is one of my favorite fruits to add to a smoothie because it sweetens it naturally and adds fiber. Feel free to adjust the ingredients to taste, and add yogurt if you’re up for that.
Here are some other fruit pairings that make a great slushy:
- strawberries and blueberries
- banana and strawberries
- watermelon and strawberries
- kiwi and strawberries o freeze strawberries, I cut the stems off them, place them in a sealed bag or container, and then place them into the freezer. I don’t wash them before freezing. You can wash them before using if you want to.
- 1 pint strawberries fresh or frozen; greens trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 cups apple juice or grape juice or lemonade
- 1 cup ice, crushed or chopped (add more as needed) optional if you're using frozen strawberries
- If the strawberries are frozen, add the honey to the lemonade first to dissolve it completely, and then add the lemonade to the blender. If the strawberries are fresh, add everything to the blender but the ice, blend the mixture for a minute or so, and then when the honey is dissolved, add the ice.
- Blend until it is the consistency of a slushy.
- Taste, adjust as necessary, and enjoy!