Cut-out Cookies (using almond flour)

Cooling cookies

This post is way overdue – I had planned to post this over a year ago, but forgot about it until a reader inquired (thanks Ann!). So here is a recipe for cut-out cookies using almond flour. (In case you’re not yet in a holiday mood, this recipe may get you there.)

These cookies take longer to make than the average sugar cookie recipe, but I just accept the fact that sometimes it takes longer to make good things. I leave about 2 hours from start to finish to make these cookies. And, of course there are so many ways you can decorate them – frost, dip in chocolate, or just eat plain!

Cookies and cutters

Cookie cutter ideas:

Recipe inspirations:

Roll and cut

Lift cookie off of non-stick surface

Posted in Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  47 Comments

47 Responses to Cut-out Cookies (using almond flour)

1. April L. says:

I may have to get some cookie cutters just to try this. I’ve been loving almond flour lately (just made a pumpkin pie with your crust recipe–divine!). They look delicious!

2. Janice says:

I am going to have to try this. I have been using almond flour but have not made cut-out cookies yet with it. I am sure that it will be just as delicious as the other recipes that I have tried so far from your site!

3. Anne says:

Is this a new layout? It looks great :-). I’ve never really liked cookies so I think I’m saving my kitchen energy for something else, but this post put me right in the christmas mood anyhow, thanks!

4. Do you think Olive oil would work instead of butter? We are dairy free, but also found out we can’t have coconut or palm (among MANY other things). And we’d also be using an egg replacer.
    They look great! :o) I thought about using sunflower and/or pumpkin seed meal to make them. So basically I’m asking about completely changing the recipe I guess. lol
    Thanks for the recipes you share!
    Kristy

Kristy – I don’t know about the pumpkin or sunflower seed meal, or the oil – my guess is the oil will make them spread a bit more than you would like (not keep their shape as well). What about vegetable shortening?

5. Sophie says:

Your gf cookies look wonderful!! I have more then 120 cookie cutters so I must make this tasty & easy recipe!! Yeah!

6. Sherry says:

These look good! I have never had successful cut out cookies, but I’m going to try again.

7. Amy says:

These do look great. Do you only have to bake them at 325 for eight minutes? Or do you also have to bake them at 170 for an hour? I want to make sugar cookies with my daughter this year and it would be great to bake some that I could eat with her!

8. Ann says:

This recipe looks great, so glad i could remind you about this and help put people in their holiday spirit, i definitely have some winter & holiday cookie cutters, so i can’t wait to try this. Yummm!

9. sproutsmama says:

hurrah! i have a cupboard full of cookie cutters that i was resigned would live out their lives with minimal use. now i can make up a batch of cookies to frost with my almond-loving kitchen-helping toddler!

10. David says:

They sound great! In Sweden we do gingerbread cookies every christmas that look similar to these. It’s really tasty with lots of spices. I’d love to make them with almond flour, inspired from this recipe. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

David, yes – these turn into gingerbread cookies when you add a few more spices. I’d love to hear how yours turn out. I may post a version of gingerbread cookies as well.

11. Peggy says:

These look wonderful. Could you use agave nectar instead of the honey? If so, would the amount be different?

Yes, I feel pretty confident you can use agave. I haven’t done it, but it’s a 1:1 substitution.

• Peggy says:

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to try these. I think baking and then frosting them will put me in the holiday mood. I will let you know how they turn out with the agave nectar.

12. Carol says:

We’re trying them without butter or honey-similar to what Kristy is looking for. We need them without eggs too–

We’ve used a lot of your recipes-trying to make them with egg replacer, stevia, and dairy free. (candida diet)

Any suggestions on how to replace honey. Does the honey help hold the cookie together so it doesn’t crumble? Do we need extra liquid when using stevia?

We tried the same thing with the Biscottis. Kind of worked-they were crumbly (though we did use egg in that recipe)

Thanks so much for all you’re doing!!!!
    Carol

13. Elizabeth says:

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm
    i was just talking to someone about how much i wanted sugar cookies!now for a gingerbread house!

14. Ann says:

We just made these in time for Hanukkah and they turned out great, the dough fell apart a little bit but it worked out okay :) we did 1/3 sprouted whole wheat flour, 1/3 rice flour, and 1/3 of it almond flour. We used the icing recipe from your whoopie pies and put them in a little plastic bag with a slit at the end so that we could decorate them like we used to. Great cookies and Recipes!

15. Meghan says:

Can you substitute splenda or sucralose for the honey??

16. Kathy M says:

I made these today and liked the dough so I added arrowroot powder to make a dough of the same consistency as dough for a cookie press. It worked nicely and the kids really liked them. Thanks for the recipe…love it with nutmeg!

17. Meghan says:

The cookies were great but the dough was very sticky and hard to cut-out with cookie cutters.

18. Pingback: Merry Christmas & What to Cook! :) | The Well Fed Homestead

Hey, question. Are these cookies crispy or chewy?

20. Michelle says:

Do you think I could use coconut flour instead of almond flour?

21. Seem says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. My 4 and 2 year old children loved the batch of heart cookies we made using this recipe. I used Ghee as my oil and it gave such a lovely smell to the kitchen as it melded with the almonds and honey. I did crisp them in the oven as suggested, and I appreciate that suggestion, or else I think my children would not have liked them as they are too mushy otherwise. But if you are doing GAPS diet, or Nourishing traditions, this recipe really feels true to home because you already know about crisping nuts in your “warm oven,” and in the same spirit you are crisping these cookies up and dehydrating them.

I was so happy to see my children gooble all these up. And it is great that they in fact do make 40 cookies!

Thanks so much!

So good to hear! And Ghee is great! It’s actually the only source of butter that is alkaline, so I’ve become very interested in it.

22. Mimi says:

Thank you for the recipe. I’ve followed the recipe exactly and so far baked just 1 cookie and it spread way too much. I’ve tried making cookies with almond flour before and had the same problem. I could already tell before I froze the batter that it had too much liquid. Not sure how to salvage the batter. It may be too late to add the arrowroot as one person suggested. I’ll probably try adding more almond flour.

23. lida says:

Can I use Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour? Will the flour be fine enough?
    thanks!

• Rhaina says:

Yes – I just made this recipe with Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour, and they were great! They did have a certain gritty texture which gave them a nice depth, and the density/moisture were good. I did bake them the extra hour, and they held together even with some icing, and were still soft.

24. Melissa says:

Do you have a paleo-friendly icing recipe for these? Not sure it’s possible but definitely trying to find something sweetened with something other than powdered sugar that still sets up well on the cookies. Thanks!

25. Lori says:

So glad I stumbled upon your site. I went grain free about 6 months ago and have been thinking I need to find a cut out cookie recipe because Christmas baking is one tradition I didn’t want to give up.

26. Pingback: Recipe Roundup: Healthy Super Bowl Recipes

27. Pingback: Easy Healthy Craft Ideas (Rosh Hashanah) | Easy Healthy Kosher by Ariella Eltes

28. Pingback: Madie's Kitchen