Orange Sesame Chicken {slow-cook}

Orange Sesame Chicken - Comfy Belly

There was a time in my life when I subsisted on New York City Chinese takeout, late at night after work and a workout.

Orange Sesame Chicken - Comfy Belly

My favorite dish was orange chicken, lightly floured and fried, and then bathed in a syrupy sweet and tangy orange sauce. I doubt I need to describe it any further—I have a feeling you know which dish I’m referring to, especially if you’ve ever ordered Chinese takeout in America.

There’s also the timeless tradition of having Chinese food at Christmas time, especially if you’re Jewish. Here’s a great summary of the Chinese-on-Christmas tradition.

This is the slow-cook version of orange sesame chicken, and I’m hoping to post the fast-cook version of this soon. You can probably extrapolate that it involves browning the chicken pieces and simmering the sauce separately on the stovetop and then combining the two parts.

I love eating this dish with steamed vegetables—snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots or any other favorites. It’s great on rice if you eat gluten-free grains, or try the simple stovetop cauliflower rice recipe for grain-free white “rice”.

This recipe was inspired by the Sesame Chicken Nuggets from Digestive Wellness’  A Taste of Wellness, and the Slow-Cooker Sesame Orange Chicken from Against All Grain by Danielle Walker.

Orange Sesame Chicken - Comfy Belly

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Wheat-free  |  12 Comments

12 Responses to Orange Sesame Chicken {slow-cook}

1. Tracy says:

This looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try it this week!Thanks!

2. pamela says:

Would like a menu plan ie breadfast lunch, dinner and snacks that I can follow
    Thanks for this site. Can’t wait to start

3. Alyssa Stollwerk says:

Hi Erica,
    I love your website and have your book. Love them both! Thank you for your recipes I have made dozens of them. I want to try this orange chicken tomorrow, but I have 2 questions…can I use breast meat I stead of thighs? And tomato paste is not listed as a legal item on SCD. Could I use diced tomatoes or do you have another suggestion? Thanks!

Thanks! Yes, chicken breast is fine too, it just cooks faster. tomato paste with no additives is ok with SCD. just check the label to make sure the only thing added is tomatoes (citric acid is ok too).

• Alyssa Stollwerk says:

Erica, thanks for clarifying that about tomato paste. Also on the list as illegal is sesame seeds on the Breaking the Vicious Cycle book. Is there something I don’t know about sesame seeds because I have been avoiding them.

4. Mary Bloom says:

Just trying my first recipe from your site. In the recipe ingredients you leave out sesame seeds and yet you have them in the body of the text also is the slow cooker on low or high for 2 to 4 hours ?

5. Mary Bloom says:

In the body of the text in this recipe you mentioned sesame seeds but they’re not on the ingredients list but even more important is the slow cooker on low or high for 2 to 4 hours ?

6. Mary Bloom says:

Is this recipe cooked in a slow cooker on low or high for 2 to 4 minutes and also sesame seeds are not listed in the ingredients but they are in the text of the recipe.

7. Mary Bloom says:

Sorry to post 3 times but did not realize the question was posted.