Turmeric Smoothie {anti-inflammatory & immune-boosting}

Turmeric Smoothie - Comfy Belly

There’s been a theme around here lately, besides being low sugar. Can you guess what it is?

Turmeric Smoothie - Comfy Belly

Here’s a hint: Almost all the recipes I’ve posted in the last month or so don’t require chewing. The no-churn ice creams, soups and now this potent smoothie.

It turns out my older son experienced a Crohn’s flare and I had jaw surgery, so a liquid diet was the name of the game for at least the past few weeks (for me) and months (for him). Needless to say it’s been a little crazy lately, but things are settling down and healing—for both of us. Whew.

He tried to get control of the Crohn’s flare with diet, including Paleo, SCD and then a liquid diet. No luck. He’s back on Humira, and while it’s only been a few weeks, he’s already feeling better. Unfortunately he had to endure the pain and discomfort that come with a flare during a critical time: college finals. Poor guy—he seems to flare at the worst times.

As for me, I have been wearing braces for almost two years. Long story. I had braces once before but I really needed the surgery to fix things the right way. So I’ve been on a liquid diet for over two weeks now, and I’ll be on a soft-food diet plus liquid diet for another two weeks or so. Initial bone healing takes about 6 to 8 weeks and then another 3 months for full healing. After that my next goal is to get my braces off!

So I’ve been doing a few things to speed up my healing, including smoothies like this golden gem. Turmeric, besides being an anti-inflammatory spice, creates the most beautiful yellow-orange glow in this mix. And I included a few subs for coconut milk but it just seems like turmeric and coconut milk make beautiful partners.

Cheers!

Turmeric Smoothie - Comfy BellyTurmeric Smoothie - Comfy Belly Turmeric Smoothie - Comfy Belly

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  23 Comments

23 Responses to Turmeric Smoothie {anti-inflammatory & immune-boosting}

1. Beth says:

This looks delicious, although quite a calorie hit – the coconut milk alone is 400 cal! Love all of these flavors together, a tempting breakfast, and I’ll bet it would churn into a fantastic ice cream! Thanks for sharing.

I was thinking the same thing – this would make great ice cream. Yes, it is calorie high, but we needed the calories. I can only drink about 1/2 of it. And don’t forget you can sub the coconut milk with something less fat-concentrated, like almond milk, low-fat coconut milk, or yogurt (I added this info to the headnotes). Thanks!

2. jillian says:

This looks great, and I appreciate the high calorie count!

Hope you and your son feel better! Thanks for being open about the need for biologics. I need them for Crohn’s as well. I have seen more than a few healthy food bloggers shame the need for meds. Of course, I think smoothies like this definitely help with healing too. :)

Thanks! Yes, not everyone can go into remission with diet alone (I wish it were true). I agree, I’ve heard things like “well they weren’t following the diet” and the reality is that everyone is different and it’s important to respect that, as well as to respect the fact that some choose medication. Certainly good food helps us all, regardless of our obstacles and gifts in life.

3. Lisa says:

This is OMG good! I finally have a fast breakfast. Thank you yet again.

4. Emily says:

This looks delicious and healing! I also appreciate the high calories from healthy fats! YUM! I recently started taking LDN to manage Crohn’s along with doing the SCDiet. I am finding excellent results with it! I first heard about it 3 years ago and wish I’d been open to trying it sooner. I just learned I have SIBO (many with IBD do) and LDN helps treat that too. You take it at bedtime and the only side affect has been more vivid dreams at first, but then that fades away after a week or so. I have great energy, better sleep, less aches and pains and feel great in my body. Thanks again for your openness and sharing…and your amazing recipes! (Made your Morning Glory muffins yesterday!)

Emily, thanks so much for sharing your results and I’m so happy LDN is working for you. My son tried it for a while with no luck. But I know it has worked for some. Yes, we’re pretty sure he also has some kind of dysbiosis or SIBO as well. Best wishes!

5. Viola says:

This looks excellent! I make a similar version but with fresh ginger and turmeric instead, and sometimes an orange plus fresh orange zest thrown in for extra vitamin C. A note about turmeric: the addition of fresh black pepper makes the anti-inflammatory compounds of turmeric more absorbable by an order of magnitude. Adding 2-3 black peppercorns would give this smoothie an extra boost!

thanks, love the idea of some orange zest (or maybe lemon). I’m allergic to black pepper, but yes, you’re right, so feel free to add.

• rebecca.schreck says:

your allergic to pepper, omg-oodness! I am too, people think I am crazy, and I demo food and have to watch the products I demo.. I am new to cooking gluten, oat, egg free, dairy free-not butter though:) and your site has helped just made the cinnamon cookies. Good! // wheat belly diet has some interesting reading, tried making there choc chip cookies made with stevia liquid got a funny feeling in head.. Won’t make them again. But your recipes are more to what I’ve been looking for & everyone’s comments help.Been reading for couple hours. Thank You!!

6. Salixisme says:

That sounds absolutely delicious!

7. laura says:

I am so happy to have found your site. My son has the same diagnosis and he has responded well to diet, along with Lialda. It is a learning process on what works and is so individual. I am amazed at your beautiful website and want you to know it is inspiring!

8. Kathy says:

This is the best smoothie! Thank you for the recipe. I have made it several times.

9. Christa M. says:

Ok…it is an acquired tastr, but I like it. I am newly diagnosed with RA, and anti inflammatory lifestyle is the way I am going. Paleo, SCD, and yummy smoothies like this. Thank you so much!

Yes, it’s different but it became an instant favorite for me. If you use fresh turmeric and ginger it will have an even stronger flavor (and it’s more potent!).

10. Pingback: Dairy Free Banana Smoothie with Ginger And Turmeric | OnlyNaturalTreats.com

11. Hannah L says:

This sounds delicious and is very creative, but with two bananas, this is anything but low sugar.

low in processed/added sugar, aka naturally sweetened. And it’s all relative. How much sugar are you eating now? This has 2 servings, so one banana. If you don’t normally eat one banana, that is if it’s too much natural sugar for you, then yes, it’s not low sugar for you.