Chicken Carnitas Bowl

Chicken Carnitas Bowl - Comfy Belly

A slow-cook chicken carnitas bowl to fill you up.

Chicken Carnitas Bowl - Comfy Belly

You may catch me saying I don’t eat meat (except for fish), but I taste everything I make, mostly for the flavor and texture. And in a few instances, when the meat is almost irresistible, I have more than a taste.

So I’ve tasted this recipe several times and I’m in love with the flavor blend of orange, lime and chili spices. I’m currently trying to figure out how to use the marinade in a veggie dish (and I’m open to suggestions). This carnitas recipe was inspired by Closet Cooking’s recipe here. One thing I also do is make extra marinade since I love to cover the chicken and rice with the dark, tangy sauce left after removing the chicken from the slow cooker to shred. You’ll see what I mean.

This bowl is just one example of how to serve slow-cooked carnitas. It can also play a starring role in quesadillas, tortillas, wraps, and it goes great on top of chili lime cauliflower rice or Spanish rice.

For the bowl in the photos, I made chili lime cauliflower rice and a simple Pico de Gallo (recipe follows). Some more elements that go great with this bowl are avocado slices or guacamole, sour cream or yogurt, and a dash of hot sauce. Enjoy!

Chicken Carnitas Bowl - Comfy Belly

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Wheat-Free  |  11 Comments

11 Responses to Chicken Carnitas Bowl

1. katy says:

This looks so good. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes people fall into eating meat! I love it!

I’m making your cinnamon bun muffins again, and came here while they’re baking to get info on buying the coconut flour baking book. Your chicken is completely distracting me.

2. This looks beyond delicious! Great gluten dairy free dinner.

Thanks Liz! I bring this dish to work because it’s so easy to pack (for me it’s a pile of rice, salsa, and the sauce since I don’t eat the chicken, and it’s still good!). It makes a great picnic lunch or dinner, too!

3. Barbara says:

This looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it. One question though, do you cook the chicken on high or low?

4. Carol says:

This looks fabulous, so perfect for those family get-togethers – yum!

5. Connie says:

I am currently making a second batch of this recipe. First was only done less than two weeks ago, and my husband requested it again. I might add I only had a fork full of the first batch, the rest was either his dinner or leftover lunches. So good and so easy.

6. Lisa says:

I am lazy. I just roast the chicken. Love this.