This salad is a nice replacement for those not eating complex carbohydrates, like potatoes.
Yes, it’s fake potato salad. Cauliflower is the stand-in for potato here and it does a respectable job of it. The key is to play up the other ingredients and flavor to your liking.
It goes great as a side, or you can turn it into a full blown salad by adding grilled protein, more veggies, or serve with several other good side dishes.
- 1 cauliflower head 1.5 lbs, or about 600 g, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/4 cup 40 g red onion, finely diced
- 4 large eggs hard boiled, shelled, and diced
- 1/4 cup 58 g mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- Steam the cauliflower for about 12 minutes, or until you can insert a fork in it.
- Cool the cauliflower and then place it in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, onion, and egg to the bowl and mix to blend.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and dill, and mix again.
- Serve at room temperature or cool. Store covered in the refrigerator for a few days.
I wonder if rutabaga would work. I love it as a potato substitute.
Yes, Tamatha, I think it will work!
Yum!!! I don’t think yucca is legal. I wish! I love yucca fries. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/P/
Correct, yucca will not work for SCD.
You could also use yucca (find it in the frozen food section). Almost like potatoes!
Yes! Parsnip might work well also.
J. Sue Gagliardi
This potato salad sounds yummy. I use dill relish rather than the other, though. Thanks!
great idea. I add relish to egg salad, so why not here?