This salad is a nice replacement for those not eating complex carbohydrates, like potatoes.
Yes, it’s fake potato salad. Cauliflower is the stand-in for potato here and it does a respectable job of it. The key is to play up the other ingredients and flavor to your liking.
It goes great as a side, or you can turn it into a full blown salad by adding grilled protein, more veggies, or serve with several other good side dishes.
Yield 4-6 servings
You can substitute a number of things in this recipe, such as adding capers to it, adding yogurt, and other seasonings, and more. You can replace the dill with parsley or other mild green herb, or chives.
I like to add a bit more salt, and you can also add pepper. I don't add black pepper to my recipes in general because I'm allergic to it. Totally up to you though. Sometimes I use the ranch dressing from my first cookbook.
- 1 cauliflower head (1.5 lbs, or about 600 g), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (40 g) red onion, finely diced
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled, shelled, and diced
- 1/4 cup (58 g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Steam the cauliflower for about 12 minutes, or until you can insert a fork in it.
- Cool the cauliflower and then place it in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, onion, and egg to the bowl and mix to blend.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and dill, and mix again.
- Serve at room temperature or cool. Store covered in the refrigerator for a few days.