Banana Bread {using almond flour}

Banana bread slice

This moist banana bread is good on its own, but we like it with chocolate chips. Walnuts, cranberries, or cherries would be delightful as well.

Banana bread with chips

This recipe works for SCD when you exclude the chocolate chips. In place of chocolate, try walnuts, or dried fruit such as cherries, dates or figs for a richly flavored substitute.

The chocolate I use is made without soy lecithin. It is really difficult to find chocolate made with cocoa butter instead of soy lecithin, so I use these chips.

I usually double the recipe and store the extra loaves in the refrigerator.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  31 Comments

31 Responses to Banana Bread {using almond flour}

1. Becky Garza says:

Delicious banana bread! I added cinnamon, blueberries, and walnuts and featured your recipe on my website.

Wow, delicious – great ideas, thanks for sharing. Cool website too!

3. J says:

Thanks so much! The family loved it and I felt good giving them such a healthy snack – and of course, being wheat free it didn’t hurt my tummy! I sprinkled cinnamon (no sugar added) on top and it was great. I also think a handfull of apple chunks or dried fruit would be great!

J, I’ve been wondering if I could get away with less honey in this recipe – mostly because the bananas provide so much natural sweetness. Thanks for sharing!

5. Jen says:

Just made this yesterday and it is off the hook! Thanks for the great recipe. This is the best banana bread I’ve had since prior to finding out I can’t eat gluten…actually, I think it’s even better than gluten-full ones I’ve had in my past.

Thanks Jen. I agree – it seems better than the AP flour-based version.

7. Heather says:

I wonder if I could use half the almond flour and add either brown rice flour or buckwheat flour?

8. Shannon says:

What can I use instead of butter to make it a bit lower in fat?

Shannon, applesauce is a good substitute for butter.

10. Ann says:

We have made this recipe so many times and absolutely LOVE it, now that it is almost thanksgiving we tried this pumpkin recipe from google and didn’t like it that much. We decided to try to use this recipe and turn it into pumpkin bread. We substituted pumpkin for the bananas (1 cup) added 1/3 cup maple syrup in addition to the honey, and 1/2-3/4tsp of cloves, nutmeg and cinnimon. We put that in muffin tins and loafs and then added a cinnimon sugar topping on it. For the topping we used about 3 tbsp of butter, and we used enough maple sugar (you could probably use brown sugar to or some other kind of sweetner) to make it the right consistency and some cinnimon. It tasted great, just like the pumpkin bread we used to eat! Enjoy! (:

11. Kristy says:

FIVE stars!

12. Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. Made it today and it’s yummy-moist and flavorful. I appreciate your site as I am looking for low glycemic recipes which use almond flour in place or regular flour.

13. Katie says:

Does anyone know if this recipe freezes well or how long it keeps for?

14. Lindy says:

This was DELICIOUS! My first time using almond flour too. This didn’t last long in my house, for sure. It was so moist and yummy.

15. Maggie says:

Should the butter or coconut oil be melted or room temp?

16. I just want to say thank you so much for all of these delicious recipes. I am getting ready to start my family on the SCD diet in a few weeks and trying to get some of these new foods into our rotation so it won’t be such a big shock. Your blog is awesome. We made the cinnamon bun muffins yesterday and my 5 year old boys loved them. Even my husband couldn’t believe how good they were. So thank you very much. Banana bread is a favorite around here and it’s nice to know they won’t be missing out!!

17. Krista says:

Wow – these are amazing! Made muffins with maple syrup instead of honey and they were fantastic! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes. :)

18. amanda says:

Is 315 the right temperature? I just want to make sure.

19. Steve says:

I made this, I added an extra banana because mine were not ripe enough and I like extra. But!! I also added mined dates. I baked into cupcakes, and they were amazing! So moist and delicious. I am new to the scd diet and have had issues finding recipes I like. I like this one….. Add the dates!!

20. amanda says:

These are great, everyone in my family loved them.

21. Hannah Deminski says:

Wondeful recipe! First time baking with almond flour, loved it! So simple and easy to make. I replaced honey with agave nectar and butter for applesauce and lots of walnuts. It was the perfect texture and so moist but maintained a solid form. So delicious, can’t wait to make again!

22. My daughter was asking me for banana muffins and just used your recipe. They came out great! No tweaking necessary (sometimes I end up tweaking recipes to make them less sweet or change some ingredients) but these were perfect! It was also the perfect amount for a 24 mini-muffin pan.
      Thanks Erica!

23. Kathy says:

I have made this bread twice now. this last time I added 1/2 c, chopped almonds, 1/2 c. chocolate chips, and 1/4 c. dried cranberries. This bread is so moist and yummmmmsters! :o)