Chicken Pot Pie

Comfy Belly: Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping

Out of nowhere I had a request for chicken pot pie. Before Crohn’s and food issues hit us, I cannot remember ever making or buying chicken pot pie. I’ve made shepherd’s pie, but that’s about it. So, I’m not sure where the initial inspiration came from, but I thought, sure, let’s do it. I’m up for the challenge.

Chicken Pot Pie

I checked one website before I embarked on this recipe exploration, and I found a great guide, as I do many times, at Simply Recipes. So here is another current favorite in our house.

I’ve made this dish three times now, and each time the kids have loved it. Besides this being a nice dinner entree, they eat it for breakfast, and bring it for lunch – with the friendly reminder to bring back the ramekin, pleeaassee. “The what? Oh, the dish – ok.”

Posted in Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, SCD, Soup, Wheat-Free  |  38 Comments

38 Responses to Chicken Pot Pie

1. Hänni says:

Pot pie that’s dairy-free and grain-free? Amazing! I will have to try this.

2. Karen says:

Gorgeous picture! I can’t wait to make this one…

3. Tracee says:

What a great idea! My husband loves pot pies. Maybe I could use yogurt for the almond milk.

I thought about using yogurt, but I was afraid it might give it a sour taste. Let us know if you try it.

5. Trish says:

Looks delicious. The crust looks like it turned out well!

6. chandi says:

Can this be adapted to make one whole pie instead of the individual? I don’t have any of the small dishes.

Hi Chandi – absolutely. My kids like getting a small size bowl – I guess it’s a novelty. I haven’t done this yet, but what I would do is place the cooked filling in a 9-inch pie dish, place a pie crust over the filling and bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (or until the crust is browned).

8. Amy says:

Cannot wait to try this! Your site is awesome!

9. chandi says:

THanks! Can the dough be frozen for later use?

Well, yes, the dough can be frozen, but seal it well. My experience is that is gets dried out the longer it’s in the frig or freezer.

11. Caryn says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, it is awesome! The first time I made it my husband was less than enthusiastic about hearing that we were having Chicken Pot Pie for dinner, but once he tasted it, he and all of us were hooked :-). I had totally forgotten about how much I enjoy Chicken Pot Pie since being on SCD. I also tried using coconut milk instead of almond milk, and it was very good. I really appreciate your blog, it has been so helpful to me :-).

12. Candice says:

Made it with yogurt, and it turned out great! Thanks for the recipe :)

LYM – all photos are mine – thanks for the compliment. I make this recipe often and I’ve never had a problem with the crust. Read over the directions – maybe you’re leaving something out or you need to bake it longer.

14. Andrea says:

I’m kinda stuck with the same result as LYM BUT for what it’s worth, once we took the crust off (mostly, what we could), the inside was FANTASTIC. Used coconut milk because that’s what I had, and with the cold going through the house right now, I will definitely give eight enthusiastic thumbs up in our household for basically a chicken soup. :)

I’m a bit baffled because it works so well for me. I did find that freezing the dough did not give the same great results – it became a bit crumbly once defrosted. I process the dough in a food processor – I wonder if that makes a difference?

• Audri says:

It should be noted that not all almond flour is created equal. I have a hunch that the almond flour is using using is “Blanched Almond flour”. Unblanched doesn’t give the same results and that could be what some of the readers are running into with their attempts at this recipe.

15. Pamela King says:

I made this recipe tonight and it was delicious! Some of the previous comments made me nervous about the crust turning out. I made the full version in the food processor and it turned out amazingly light and flavorful. We liked it so much, I plan to use the crust for some other recipes. I used a very fine almond flour from Benefit Your Life. Thanks for the great recipe. I just discovered your site and will definitely be back!

Thanks. Coming back to these comments, and I now realize that some were probably using almond meal, which is not the same as blanched almond flour. As a side note, I now use the biscuit recipe as a topping for pot pies and it works quite well.

16. Manon says:

Thank you for this recipe ! I did not have all the ingredients needed for the filling, so I used steamed broccoli, chicken, cauliflower cheese sauce http://glutenfreescdandveggie.blogspot.com/2011/08/cheese-sauce-gf-scd.htm
    and a little more grated cheese under your crust recipe. Looking forward to trying your filling.

17. Rebecca says:

Do you do anything with the cup of stock that you remove? Or is it just to make the filling less liquidy once you’ve boiled the veggies?

18. Veronique says:

I am perplexed- states makes four small pot pies, calls for six ramekins, and says you won’t use all the dough. Does it really make four? Or six? I am feeding a family of five :). Thanks!

woops. sorry. My fault. I changed it, it should have been for 4, but it will depend on the size of your servings/ramekins also. I also added a note that I prefer not to freeze the dough, so you’ll be good to make the entire dough recipe and use all of it (to serve 5). Any leftovers are a bonus. One other idea: you could use my butter biscuit dough recipe for the topping. Best wishes, Erica

19. Ginger Burke says:

I love your recipes! I use this crust recipe for everything – crust, biscuits, crackers, pop tarts….
    And I haven’t had any problems freezing it. Usually I double the batch and store the dough in a ziplock in golf ball size balls.

20. AJ says:

Lovely pot pie! I’m going to make this in a few days. I make our almond milk and buy it sometimes too; i am wondering if store bought imparts a sweet flavor to the sauce at all? I suppose unsweetened wouldn’t though. My homemade stuff is really creamy so might be yummy in this!

Thanks. I haven’t had store bought almond milk in ages (and probably never will again now that I’ve had homemade). You can sweeten the almond milk with some honey if desired. Enjoy!

21. AJ says:

It was delicious!! I used my homemade almond milk and bone broth. Thank you again!!

22. Erin says:

Can this be made/assembled a day ahead in a pie pan and then cooked later?

23. Heather Y says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve made it twice now, and it’s so yummy and nice to have a comfort food again since being on SCD. I used the butter biscuit recipe for the crust, but used coconut oil instead of butter, and only one egg. It still works out, just probably not as good as the original. :) I also use coconut milk instead of almond milk in the pot pie, and I bake it in a 9×13 pan with the crust kind of crumbled and pressed on top. Yummy, thank you!

24. lynda says:

Can you make this crust with coconut flour? If so do you have a recipe?