Almond flour makes great muffins. Here is a current favorite, based on this banana bread recipe. Protein rich, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened. Geez, I sound like a commercial.
We are coming to the end of blueberry season here, so if you don’t have fresh blueberries, frozen berries work well too. Trader Joe’s has organic wild blueberries in the frozen food section. I also added extra blueberries and chopped, candied walnuts to the top of each muffin.
Banana Blueberry Muffins
Ingredients (makes about 8 muffins)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 3 tablespoons of oil or butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1 cup of blueberries (or more; fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 310 degrees F.
- Mix all the wet ingredients (except for the blueberries) together in a bowl until well blended.
- Now add dry ingredients and mix well again.
- Add the blueberries and fold in.
- Add muffin liners to a muffin baking pan, and then add batter to each liner.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from a muffin. I wait until they are very brown on top.
- Cool and enjoy. I store these in the refrigerator, but you can store them outside for a few days, covered. They’re great toasted for a few minutes.