Cheese Bread Pizza Crust {Focaccia}

Cheese bread pizza pie crust

If you’re craving a better almond flour pizza crust, or focaccia or flat bread that has some crunch and chew to it, you’ll like this. It’s a bit different than the thin pizza crust recipe.

My first recipe for pizza using almond flour resulted in thin crust pizza, which isn’t widely received in my house. I like it, but I’m alone on this one. Then there is the deep dish pizza recipe, which is great, but can be very gooey and can get soggy. There are techniques to prevent the crust from getting soggy – it just takes extra time and effort. It’s almost like a pizza casserole.

Cheese bread pizza crust

The good news about this cheese bread pizza crust is that the bottom gets crunchy too! So it’s an all-around crunchy win, and was received much more favorably here than the other pizza crust recipes that use almond flour.

You can serve these hot with toppings, and save them in the fridge for a few days. I haven’t tried freezing them yet, but they’re easy to reheat out of the refrigerator. My favorite topping is pesto, tomato sauce, goat cheese, and a bit of shredded cheese to top it off.

Pie crusts in the oven

Posted in Gluten-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  42 Comments

42 Responses to Cheese Bread Pizza Crust {Focaccia}

1. mary says:

Thank you for the recipe..I look forward to trying it…It helps me stay on plan…

2. Nicole says:

I made these today using smoked goat cheese in the crust and they are the BEST! My husband and I have devoured all but one little crust, and I only made them 10 hours ago. Thanks for the great recipe.

Nicole, so glad it worked out. Smoked goat cheese sounds wonderful.

4. valen says:

I’ve made similar pizza crusts and they were indeed delicious, this recipe looks even better!

5. Cheryl says:

This is absolutely the best grain-free pizza crust I’ve had thus far, and I’ve tried out many recipes. I subbed the almond flour with cashew flour and it worked fine.

Cheryl – great to hear. Cashew flour is a great alternative to almond (or hazelnut) flour. I’ve made cakes with it that came out really well!

7. Caryn says:

Great Pizza Crust recipe! I made it last night and I felt like I was eating pizza from my before my SCD days! It was delicious, thank you so much for all the wonderful recipes that you share. I am finding that I prefer many of your recipes over the ones that I find in cook books. Keep up the great work!

8. V Demetros says:

I have these in the oven right now and they smell terrific! Check out my gluten-free, vegetarian site at http://www.gfinaz.blogspot.com. I’ll post a review when they are done! Thanks!

9. Apsalar says:

These were delish! I followed the recipe and it made 2 personal-sized pizzas for us, which was just right.

This website is becoming a go-to for me. I also made the almond flour chocolate chip cookies and they turned out nicely as well. Thanks so much!

Apsalar – Good to hear – thanks!

11. Lauren says:

Hi Erica,

I just found your site a few days ago and am amazed at your recipes! Since going grain-free, I’ve really been searching for a grain-free baguette/french bread recipe. Do you think this recipe would work if I just changed the shape, or do you know of a recipe? Keep up the good work, and thank you for sharing!

Hi Lauren. I know that search – it’s a tough one to pull off with nut flours or other flours that don’t have some kind of gluten-consistency to create the texture. That said, I think it’s worth a try to take this recipe and shape it into a bit of a cylinder – it just might work – maybe adding a cheese that is not as hard would lend itself to that texture. You’ve made me curious too!

13. Lauren says:

Thank you, Erica, for the response. I don’t know when I’ll be able to try it out, but as soon as I do I’ll let you know the results. Do you think I should use a cheese softer than Cheddar? Also, as far as the shape, maybe trying to bake it in a french bread pan would help some.

Lauren – I’d have to play around, but cheddar is fine. Yes, the bread pan will help, but the dough doesn’t spread or rise.

15. Cindy says:

Hi! These look great! I have a question though, where I live almonds and almond flour is very expensive, can it be substituted for something else? Thanks!

Hi Cindy. Cashew flour might be a good sub here, but I haven’t tried it. You may be able to find more affordable almond flour online. there are sources on this page: http://www.comfybelly.com/2009/01/the-scoop-on-almond-flour.html

17. Angie says:

I made this a while back and used it as a pizza crust. My husband and I follow the Primal Blueprint, and this is a nice addition to our menu! Thanks for the great recipe.

18. We made this last night and it was awesome. I will surely be making it again! Thanks for the great recipe.

19. Liana says:

Oh my gosh, this pizza…looks like PIZZA! And I miss being able to eat pizza. I’ve tried other crusts, but just don’t like them. I will definitely have to give this one a shot. Thanks for the recipe!

20. Martine says:

Hello,

I made it last night and I felt like the crust was really to dry…do you think I could add butter or yoghourt in this recipe?
    It tasted not cheesey at all neither!

Thanks

21. Karen says:

Since I had the ingredients on hand, I made this last night for our pizza crust. It was awesome! I used all cheddar in the dough and baked it in a glass pizza “pan.” Then topped it like a regular pizza. So delicious! Thanks for all your great recipes!

22. Jenni says:

Looks awesome! Just wondering if I could substitute coconut flour instead of almond flour? Has anyone ever tried such a thing? I have a bunch of coconut flour on hand and no available almond flour… plus I’m obsessed with coconut… Anyone have any suggestions?

23. לימי says:

היי. אני קוראת שלך מישראל. רציתי לומר לך שהגעתי היום לכאן והאתר שלך פשוט נפלא. תודה על המתכונים המעלפים שלך.

24. Amy says:

Erica! My 10 yr. old son is jumping up and down at the site of this pizza crust! :) We’re on our way into the kitchen to make it! Do you think it would be okay to freeze? I’d love to keep unbaked dough on hand in the freezer if you think it would freeze well.

Thanks for your awesome site! Your brownies are still our favorite! :)

~Amy

25. Melissa S says:

Wow! I just found your website and made these for supper. I was craving pizza but being on yeast free diet, I can’t have pizza.
    I made these with goat and sheep cheese and then topped them w sauce and chicken and spinach. Yum! Thank you! Have been looking at your other recipes and can’t wait to try them too!

26. karla diaz says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! That was the BEST pizza I have had in YEARS! I can’t stand GF pizza crusts but this one is AWESOME! I topped it with sauce, hot pepper flakes, canadian bacon, red onion, red bell peppers and mozzerella. I also made the crust quite think and cooked a little longer than suggested. YUMMY!

27. Sheila D. Copeland says:

I have these in the oven right now! I’m very excited to try them for our boys’ home made pizza “lunchables”. I used a tortilla press to make individual sized mini pizza crusts. One hint: I cut individual sized parchment paper to put on the tortilla press, dipped my fingers in water and rolled a golf ball sized dough ball, put another piece of parchment on top and pressed. Then just peel off top piece of parchment and lay crusts (with parchment on bottom) right on cookie sheet and bake. So easy!
    I just took the first tray out of the oven and they smell so good! I think I will try a thicker crust next time though.
    Thank you for these! Yum!

28. Nikki says:

I’ll have to give this a try looks yummy. I found a great pizza crust recipe on http://www.joyfulabode.com

You wouldn’t believe it has cauliflower in it. Tastes fantastic!

29. Lynn Sturla says:

I am just starting the scd diet but my son is allergic to almonds. Can I replace the almond flour with regular flour for this or any other recipes? They look so good and healthy I want him to enjoy them as well.

Peanut flour is an option, but I haven’t tried it. AP flour is not allowed on SCD. coconut flour is a good, but you can’t just substitute it. Read posts about coconut flour.

30. April says:

OMG!!! I just have to say this last few weeks of trying your recipes has been AMAZING! I thought it was going to be extremely difficult to cut out grains, but your recipes are AWESOME!! I have a new found love for cooking and baking with almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, and using honey as a sweetener. I just made this crust, we are going to use it for dinner, sausage, onion and pepper pizzas, and it is probably one of the best crusts I have ever made. I should have pry added just a pinch more salt, but never the less amazing!! Thank you so much for these amazing recipes :) if it weren’t for your recipes I don’t think I would have been able to stick to my modified paleo lifestyle change!

31. Pamela Smith says:

I JUST DID THE MOST AMAZING THING with your recipe. I omitted your seasonings and added a bit of taco seasoning, then rolled the ‘dough’ flat and put into those silly little pans that you can buy to bake tortillas in for taco salad shells. It worked perfectly! We are having taco salad for dinner.
    Thank you for your time and effort in making life easier for those of us that are trying to live a new lifestyle!

32. Tara says:

I made this tonight and loved it! I ordered pizza for my kids and husband because I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it & thought I would be the guinea pig. My husband walked in before the pizza was delivered & said our house smell so good & that was only this pizza crust :) He wants me to make it for all of us next time. Thanks so much!