Breakfast Cookies

Comfy Belly: Breakfast Cookies

I’m about to give you a great excuse to eat cookies for breakfast. Or any other time of day or night. Pack a cookie with enough protein and vitamins and you have yourself a respectable breakfast treat.

Comfy Belly: Breakfast Cookies

Several months ago, a friend asked me to deconstruct a “breakfast cookie” for another friend. She had eaten this “breakfast cookie” somewhere, and it was so good that she wanted to figure out how to make it herself. It seemed to have an endless list of ingredients, including 5 kinds of nuts and seeds, oats, and other stuff that I can’t quite remember off the top of my head.

Of course I recognized a brilliant idea when I heard it. I’ve had this recipe idea waiting in the wings. So here’s my current interpretation of a breakfast cookie.

You can add just about anything you like to the cookies, in moderation, so as not to make it too weird to eat. My favorite version has roasted walnut pieces, dried cranberries (juice-sweetened), dried cherries, and mini-chocolate chips – about 1/2 cup of each ingredient.

Comfy Belly: Breakfast Cookies

Comfy Belly: Breakfast Cookies

The cookies in the picture have dried cranberries, freeze-dried raspberries and blueberries, walnuts, and a few chocolate chips.

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  103 Comments

103 Responses to Breakfast Cookies

1. Jillian says:

They look good to me! I love a fruit, nut, and chocolate packed cookie. :)

2. Sherry says:

These look so good!

3. Ann says:

Will be trying to make these within the coming week. I will be trying to add cranberries, almonds and macadamian nuts, cant wait. They look delicious!

4. Janet NZ says:

I love the idea of cookies for breakfast and these sound great. It doesn’t hurt that there’s chocolate in them too! :-)

5. Natalie says:

These look wonderful! I always need something like this around for those snacky moments or quick breakfasts. Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks for the kind words. Love the idea of macadamia nuts.

7. Debbie says:

I agree! Healthy cookies should be for breakfast! I wish I could reach right in the screen and eat one off the plate! What camera do you use?

8. Heather says:

Should the recipe read when using coconut oil in place of butter 1/2 cup or is it really 1/4 cup?

9. jeff says:

could avocado be used instead of butter?

10. Michelle says:

Mmmmm! Made these this morning and my kids and husband went gaga over them! I used about 1/8 cup molasses and the rest honey and mixed in dried cranberries, pecans, sunflower seeds and a tiny bit of chopped dark chocolate. My kids totally thought they were getting away with something really big by having “cookies” for breakfast.

These firm up wonderfully after they’ve cooled. I kept checking them while baking and they felt so soft so, I ended up over cooked mine a bit. Next time, I’ll go by time and not how they feel.

Thanks for an awesome recipe!

11. I have been looking for a nice gluten free biscuit recipe for a while. Looks good. Thanks.

12. Cookies for breakfast? You sold me! I love that there’s not flour in these and that you can replace the butter with coconut oil too, there’s really a lot of nutrient rich ingredients in these cookies.

13. Ann says:

I finally made this using sliced almonds, partically crushed macadamian nuts, dried cranberries and some carob chips. It taste wonderful and could work for a breakfast or dessert! If i could do it over again i would have left out the carob chips becasue the flavor kind of takes over, but this recipe was wonderful and delicious!

14. Pingback: What are some good foods to pack on weight?

15. amy says:

Very good! Made w/coconut flakes and apricots w/ a hint of cinnamon! Love them! I let my daughter put chocolate chips on the top of some as well. There are a lot of variations for this!

16. Nancy says:

Mmm. I made these with the coconut oil and 2 cups mix of dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar), golden raisins, diced dried papaya, chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and vegan unsweetened carob chips. Fantastic! I’m bringing them along to a 3-day conference and will be enjoying them very much in lieu of the standard conference breakfast fare. Thank you!

17. Amanda Mae says:

… made these with coconut flakes, pecans and chocolate chips.. SOOOOO GOOOD!!!

18. Netty says:

Yum! I just made these with roasted walnuts and fruit juice sweetened cranberries and a touch of cinnamon. They are just what I’ve been looking for for a long time! Thanks! YUM!

19. I love your cookie recipes! My problem is… they bake perfectly except for the bottom, which always burn. Any suggestions?

20. KarenL says:

I am making these now. I’m confused on the directions for “if you want them crunchier”. Do you ONLY bake them for 15 min at 200 or is that after you have baked them at the 350 you turn down to 200?

I changed the directions a bit, hope that helps. You want to bake them an extra 15 minutes on top of the baking time, but bring the oven temp. down to 200 degrees F.

21. Mary says:

I made these today. YUM!!! So glad to have a grain free breakfast cookie recipe (used to make some with wheat and oats). Thanks for sharing.

22. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan – Week of May 23 | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom

23. Joanna says:

I’m going to try making these later today, but don’t have almond flour or almond meal. I plan on making cashew meal and using some coconut flour as well. Any thoughts on whether that will work?

Cashew meal or flour will work. The coconut flour is questionable since it requires a lot more moisture/liquid ingredients than nut flour.

24. Joanna says:

I made a half recipe and used one cup of cashew meal and 1/2 cup of coconut flour. I substituted maple syrup for the honey and used flax gel as an egg substitute (1 tbsp flax meal, 3 tbsp boiling water. I also used coconut oil and added some chocolate chips. Amazing!!!

25. Marcella says:

DELICIOUS! My 11 year old daughter said that these cookies (and the almond crackers) are way better than the real thing! We made them with half butter/half coconut oil, sunflower seeds, pecans, dried apricots, and raisins. I also added just a touch of pumpkin pie spice. They reminded me so much of an old family recipe for mincemeat cookies which were fruity and cake-y. I might just adapt this recipe using mincemeat for Christmas. Thank you for a great recipe.

26. Pingback: Fun Overload « See Grace Shine

27. Pingback: Sugar Helps « See Grace Shine

28. Pingback: Almond Flour Breakfast Cookies | Raising Child Raising Self

29. samantha says:

Hi…i made these and LOVED them. I found that they may have a bit too much butter in them (I used 8 tbl) do you know if that can be reduced without ill effects? thanks so much for a great blog!

30. Pingback: Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies | Enjoy Fun Family Food

31. Regan says:

My family thanks you for the recipe; I make these once per week, but as a different variation each time. I now have worked it into scones, a “butter” cookie version, and a more classic drop cookie. Oh, and did I mention that I use no sweetener (aside from dried fruit) and no dairy? My family’s current favorite version uses 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 earth balance (vegan) for the oil. Favorite blend ins in our house include dried pomegranate seeds and unsweetened coconut flakes, as well as whatever dried fruit and random nuts we have in our snack bins. No matter what I throw in or what I do to the basic recipe, it seems to work. Love it!

32. Julie-Ann says:

These turned out really well. I used 1/4 cup honey 1/4 cup molasses with sultanas, macadamias, pecans, pepitas and sunflower seeds. So good!

33. Deby Lake says:

I am new to grain free baking and am learning so much. I am also a diabetic and am wondering if I can replace the honey with something else? Can I use a dry ingredient like cup for cup raw stevia? Any suggestions helpful. Love your recipes!

34. Kathleen says:

Just came across these cookies in my search for baking with almond meal. Just made them tonight and they are so yummy! Used sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and choc chips! Thanks for the great recipe!

35. Martha Lamb says:

Do you have nutrition information for your posted recipe? I realize that with all the variables, it could change significantly, but I would like to know calories per serving and serving size at the least for your original recipe.

36. Am loving your blog! I just recently started experimenting with almond flour & it has to be my happiest discovery ever. These cookies are definitely making an appearance at our breakfast table very soon.

37. Elsol says:

These are fabulous! I added cocunut and hemp seeds to the dried fruit and nuts! I am new to your web site and am so grateful for some new and fab recipes. Thanks!

38. Bethany says:

Thank you! I could not do the SCD without something baked. These were my first experiment and they are delicious!

39. Do you think this would work with coconut flour? My little guy has nut allergies, but other than that, this would be a great recipe for him because lately he asks for a cookie every morning when he wakes up. How great would it be to say, “Yes! You MAY have a cookie for breakfast!” :) Thanks!

40. Pingback: Crossfit msd, Workout of the day, Burnie, Tasmania, northwest coast, group fitness | CrossFit MSD | Burnie, Tasmania | Motivation Strength Determination Fitness

41. Pingback: The Paleo Kitchen « girlsgonehealthyblog

42. These look great – cookies for breakfast! Can’t wait to make them for the kids. Thanks!

43. Laura says:

I made these using half almond flour and half pecan flour. They were delicious!

44. Aukje says:

Has anyone tried freezing these great cookies?

Thanks,

Aukje

45. Dianna says:

Yes-I freeze mine all the time!

46. Emily says:

LOVE these cookies! Tried them w/honey and a little bit of molases, coconut oil, 1 cup walnut pieces, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips. AMAZING! Thank you so much!

47. Robin says:

I made these today and instead of 2.5 c. of almond flour I used 1.5 c.millet flour and then 1 c almond flour, 1/2tsp.salt and 1/2tsp baking soda. I did use salted butter (what I had). I would stick with the 1/4 tsp. salt next time. They are very yummy :)

Oh, yes, if you use salted butter, definitely reduce the salt in the recipe. I’m not sure by how much though. In any case, I’m very interested in millet flour myself, so thank you for trying this. So good to know.

48. Sara Police says:

I love this recipe! Make these weekly. I add soaked sunflower and pumpkin seeds and chopped pecans. A perfect recipe as written – thank you!

49. Barb says:

Are molasses and carob chips SCD legal? Also could i use cashew flour??
      thxs

no, molasses and carob are not SCD legal. Yes, I think you can use cashew flour or other nut flour. I just haven’t tried it yet.

50. Angela says:

These are excellent and I now bake them weekly! Thank you for your wonderful recipes – the banana bread is a hit in our house as well.

51. Patiences says:

I’ve used this recipe for over a year and it is by far my favorite cookie recipe! It so versatile and great for snacking. Yesterday I made them with chocolate chips and raisins. This morning I only used raisins, then crumbled the baked cookie in a bowl and added coconut milk. Instant cereal and the kids loved it!

52. katie says:

I love these! I have made something very similar in the past using chopped dried figs and pistachios, so delicious!

53. Kathryn says:

I am going to try these out on my son who is normally not keen on eating breakfast. Might just be the thing to change his mind!

54. Sheila Norman says:

I just made these and they taste really good. The only problems I encountered were in them holding together enough to slice into cookies and also when removing from the baking sheet. Next time I may reduce the seeds/nuts/berries just slightly. Good news is that the kids seem to like them! I used cranberries, slivered almonds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, dark choc., and rolled oats.

• Sheila Norman says:

And, I used coconut butter.

Good to know. Yes, I’m thinking it might be easier to tell folks to use parchment lining or non-stick mat on the baking sheet. These stay together quite easily in general, so not sure what your problem was there. Thanks!

55. Joy Briggs says:

Hi! Thank you for this recipe!!! I saw the comment where the lady said she used a flax egg successfully so I went ahead a made these. I changed up the recipe a bit. I used some coconut flour instead of the whole 2.5 cups almond flour so I used your original amount of honey in order to increase the liquids a bit and used a flax egg since we have an egg allergy in our home. This came out beautifully the first time!!! I will definitely be adding this to our regular rotation of snacks! I think they’ll work great for on the go, too! That excites me as the kids are ALWAYS hungry when we’re in the middle of a store ;)

56. Joanna says:

Can you tell me where you find juice-sweetened craisins? Would love to have those for recipes!

57. Pingback: Chocolate Walnut Breakfast Cookies - Rachel Cooks

58. Pingback: Episode 16: The “un-lunchable” show | Plant, Run, Family podcast

59. Berneda says:

What a unique and delicious recipe. How do you store these once they are baked?

60. Ronna Jean says:

Yum. I am going shopping for the ingredients I am missing. Will try it today!!! Wonder how a sweet type, crumbled and cooked sausage, or maple bacon would work? For those seeking a bit more protein in the mornings? Hmmm. Might try it.

61. Vivian Joan says:

My daughter has made there cookies twice and they are absolutely wonderful. We cannot find cranberries sweetened with Apple juice in Norway, so I bought some unsweetened dried ones. They are very sour! Do You know a way to sweeten them?

hmmm. You can order the sweetened dried online (Amazon; see my shop for an idea of the brands). I bet you could soak them in warm apple juice for an hour or so and then bake them at a low temperature or dehydrate them again. Also, chop them up into small pieces when soaking so they absorb more apple juice. Or try raisins?

62. Kim says:

LOVE how these cookies turned out. Did a basic chocolate chip, used coconut oil. They are the closest thing to a Toll House that I have found. So happy to serve these to my Boys, and don’t feel guilty indulging myself! Also love that I can store frozen “tubes” for quick baking.

63. Shari says:

Do NOT substitute with coconut flour, they turn out like saw dust : (

64. Marissa says:

I made these this weekend and love them! After spending a long time trying to figure out what my stomach problems were with the doctor and visits to the hospital, I was told I needed to be gluten free and your cookbook and website have made things so much easier for me! Thanks!!

65. Pingback: 5 Paleo Breakfast Cookies | Paleo Recipes