Cinnamon Bun Muffins {using almond flour}

Cinnamon bun muffin in tin

Call these what you want: cinnamon bun muffins, cinnamon muffins, cinnamon rolls. The bottom line is, they are gluten-free and contain a lot of cinnamon. I thought I had posted this recipe eons ago, but when a reader mentioned cinnamon bun muffins recently and I went to look for it, I couldn’t find it.

Cinnamon Bun Muffin split open

I haven’t made these muffins in quite a while, but they are so good, and they were one of the first muffin recipes I made when we started the SCD diet way back when (probably in 2006). A sweet, cinnamon-like aroma fills your home when you bake these. It’s quite intoxicating if you like cinnamon.

Cinnamon Bun Muffin split

One thing I sometimes do, that is not SCD legal, is use maple syrup instead of honey. But they taste great either way. So, your choice. And if you prefer baking with coconut flour, you might prefer this version of cinnamon bun muffins.

toothpick in muffin to spread topping

Also, I like to use a generous amount of topping, inside and on top of the muffin. It gives the muffin an authentic cinnamon-bun taste. Again, your choice. If you don’t want as much topping, just make half the amount of topping my recipe calls for.

Posted in Breakfast, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  94 Comments

94 Responses to Cinnamon Bun Muffins {using almond flour}

1. Jess says:

These look absolutely amazing!

2. Amy says:

Could I use coconut flour instead of the almond flour? Would they still turn out the same? Or would I use less of the coconut flour?

3. Beth says:

Wow, these look amazing! I’d love to make them for my diabetic hubby, what could I use to replace the honey with that would not raise his BS so much?

• Sheri says:

I just made them and I am not allowed to have sugar so I mixed 2 small packets of stevia with some water to make a liquid. I didn’t measure the water but it was about a tablespoon per packet. I also added a touch more yoghurt. I did this using only a half recipe so if doing the whole recipe you will need to double this. I also mixed a few unsalted cashews in with the cinnamon center and put a few more on the top. This is the first recipe using non wheat flour and no sugar that actually tastes good. Hope this helps.

4. I don’t care how hot it is outside – I have to go make these. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

5. Wendy says:

Wow- this looks great! I won’t be turning on my oven until September, I expect, but this recipe will be going with us when we vacation in the mountains next month!

6. Katrina says:

With all my experimenting, I have a bunch of different kind of flours that I want to use up before buying more Almond meal.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to modify this recipe to use Oat or Spelt flour? Or a combination of oat, spelt, coconut, brown rice?

Thanks!

7. Pingback: Cinnamon Muffins « ninehundredandseventytwelverecipes

8. Janet NZ says:

I just made these, but I had to use the vanilla cupcake recipe as I’m out of almond flour (!)
    DELICIOUS!
    I wish you could smell my kitchen right now :-)
    I posted about it and linked back to you for both recipes – I hope that is ok?

9. Pingback: Cinnamon Rolls/Muffins | Flip Cookbook

10. liz says:

these look fantastic. . . like, i wish it were morning right now so i could make and eat them for breakfast!

11. Kristy says:

what would you use to replace the yogurt if that was an issue? these look awesome! drooling over here!

12. Theresa S. says:

I’m on a slow-carb diet that doesn’t allow any use of sugars (honey and artificial included in that ban). Would these be okay without that ingredient?

13. Fiona Elliott says:

Hi there,

Have just come across your site and are very excited. I made these delicious muffins last night and they were to die for. Batter only stretched to make 9 and was a little short on the cinnamon syrup so might double that for next time. Will make these again. Thank you

Fiona
    Brisbane, Australia

14. Heather V says:

These were great! They taste like heaven.

15. Annie says:

I just made these with coconut milk instead of yogurt and melted bacon grease in place of the butter – delicious!

16. hobby baker says:

Delicious! Everybody, even the picky hubby loved these.

17. Wendy says:

How many will this make?

18. Julie says:

I just made these with applesauce instead of yogurt and 3/4 almond flour to 1/4 coconut flour. They came out great. Thanks for a new recipe to add to my repertoire.

19. Pingback: Sweet Cinnamon Buns! | Recipe Thieves

20. Samantha says:

Made them today, taste amazing! So light and moist! Thanks for a great recipe!!!

21. Evelyne says:

Just made the recipe yesterday. Instant classic! Instant favorite in our house! I am on a low carb version of SCD/GAPS. Did not add any honey and still delicious! For the topping, just mixed ghee, cinnamon and added hazelnut flour from Bob’s Red Mill together. Didn’t use muffin tins either. Just placed batter on parchment paper of baking tray. Picture posted on my Facebook page got raves! Thank you for posting! Always enjoy your recipes!

22. Pingback: Who needs “cinnabon”-cinnamon cake « alternativeeating

23. Pingback: {healty recipes} Gluten Free Pizza Dough and Cinnamon Muffins! |

24. Pingback: Cinnamon Bun Muffins « nicranium

25. Kellie says:

I just found your website last night and made these this morning. They are amazing! What an awesome recipe, thank you!

26. Bridget says:

Absolutely LOVE these!!! I just made them with subbing applesauce for the yogurt and 2 chia ‘eggs’ for the eggs. Aside from them being a little undone in the center(starving little girls rushed me to get them out of the oven!) They are a new ‘special occasion’ favorite!!!!! thank you for sharing this recipe.

27. Andrea says:

i am wondering if hazelnut flour would be okay to use in addition/substitution for almond flour? does it cook the same? i have enough of each flour to complete the recipe! :)

28. I recently made Sinful Cinnamon Cakes and linked to this recipe of yours- which look so cozy and delicious! I want to make them right now with a cup of tea.

29. Pingback: Cinnamon Rolls like Nana makes…. Picket Fence Paleo

30. Pingback: Grain-Free Crumbly Cinnamon Muffins « thelifeoflulubelle

31. A says:

These are absolutely delicious! I made one small change and did equal parts cinnamon and nutmeg. It takes a lot not to want to eat these all in one sitting!

32. Joan says:

absolutely amazing…yummmmmmm

33. Pingback: Baking Intro Picket Fence Paleo

34. Caiti Jayne says:

I made this yesterday and it was delicious. I used half yogurt/half homemade applesauce, maple syrup instead of honey, added 1 sliced apple and 6oz blueberries and turned it into a loaf (cooked it all in a 9×5 pan instead of muffins). it took about 50mins for most of it to cook, then i had to cover it with foil and cook it again for another 30mins…..it turned out soooo good! actually i found out the best way to eat it would be a slice under some vanilla yogurt and topped with strawberries. its like a shortcake :-)

35. Pingback: Fox in the Kitchen – Recipe: Coconut Chicken Strips with Orange Pineapple Sauce :: MMM (Must Make Monday)

36. Rebecca in GA says:

I have to comment on this recipe. We recently switched to the primal diet (about 5 months ago) and I came across this blog via Pinterest. This recipe made my primal-skeptic of a husband say “that’s even better than non-primal muffins… when are you going to make more” and my not-so-verbal toddler said “yummy yummy c’est bon”.Definitely try this recipe. I had to increase the temp to 350.

37. Pingback: Cinnamon Streusel Muffins (GF) - The Nourishing Home

38. Pingback: Cinnamon Bun Muffins with Almond Flour « Cayennechan's Blog

39. SMM says:

Wow, I was really impressed how well these turned out. Delicious!!! I even put a little marmalade in the topping because I ran out of honey. Thanks!!

40. Debbie says:

I added a little vanilla extract. These are amazing! Just the right amount of cinnamony sweetness. Definitely a keeper.

41. Pingback: cinnamon bun muffins « what is clara eating today?

42. Pingback: cinnamon bun muffins | what is clara eating today?

43. Pingback: cinnamon bun muffins | ketocook

44. Mae says:

Would brown rice flour be alright to use in this recipe? I really want to make these in the morning but brown rice flour is all i got in my pantry.

45. Amazing recipe! Making these two day in a row! thanks

46. Linda says:

Ok, just made these. They are ridiculously good!! I have been wanting a nice piece of coffee cake and found this recipe very satisfying!

Thank you, once again, Erica!

47. Pingback: Wednesday 121212

48. Jenny Huesby says:

My family & I love these muffins! Have made them several times now. I really like the results of almond flour better than coconut flour. The texture of these is just like some coffee cake & muffin recipes I remember from the old days of cooking with wheat flour. I’m going to use the batter recipe to make blueberry muffins and see how that turns out.

49. Jennifer says:

Okay I really need to learn to read. I made these, but spread it out over a 12-muffin tin instead of 8-10. Oops! I wondered why they looked so small. Oh well. I’m sure they will taste great. The house smells amazing! Thanks for all you do!

50. Pingback: Tuesday 021213

51. Tricia says:

I made the cinnamon bun muffins yesterday….I love them! My husband loves them. For the honey it called for…I added a little bit of maple syrup to the 1/4 cup honey and for the topping I added 1 TBS maple syrup to the 3 TBS of honey. Hey why not mix the 2 flavors together? Came out awesome!!

52. Bonnie says:

OK…I just made these! First of all, they smell amazing!

I couldn’t resist and had to have one BEFORE my dinner.
    Oh. My. Goodness. These are unbelievable. The best thing I have made since learning how
    to cook with almond flour. Seriously. No, really! LOL

I used maple syrup in the batter and raw honey in the topping, along with walnuts.

Wow, is all I can say.

53. Jen says:

I made this this morning for a bake sale, they are delicious! And the baked goodness aroma in the house…amazing! And a great gluten free option! But I do need to make a few changes next time, maybe use some stevia or xylitol,to reduce the caloric load….I used plain non fat yogurt, but maybe some apple sauce also? I doubled the recipe and didn’t quite get 16 muffins = cal 340, carbs 25, fat 23, protein 11, sodium 200, sugar 17. That’s definitely a meals worth of nutrition! Does anybody think these would be good with bananas…sort of a banana foster muffin? Maybe mashed banana as sweetener in batter instead of honey/maple syrup? OMG, I think I might have just brainstormed a master piece…lol!

54. Ehm_GT says:

I made this just now! They came out of the oven about 10 minutes ago and I’ve already eaten two. That’s how good they are!!!

I am diabetic so I always substitute ingredients. For the muffin, I used 3/4 cups Danone Peach Yogurt (sweetened with Sucralose) and skipped the honey. And for the topping, I used E.D. Smith syrup (also sweetened with Sucralose) instead. Sweet enough for me and smells heavenly. Thank you!

55. Pingback: Paleo Menu: Muffins — A Girl Worth Saving

56. Pingback: Cinnamon Swirl Muffins | the ignited life

57. Pingback: Time to Clean! | Paleo Kitchen Sync

58. Susannah says:

Made this tonight. So amazing I cried!
    3 changes:
    1. I poured it into a greased baking dish , coffee cake style.
    2. I added one egg white to wet ingredients and whisked it all together. (Kept from being to heavy/flat)
    3. After the first 25 min, increased oven temp to 350, baked 10 extra min.

59. Pingback: Nutrition and Pleasure | Clean Eating for Two

60. venus says:

Have made these twice in 10 days…cant tell you how great they are and how many cravings they satisfy. YUMMY in my TUMMY. added justs a touch of cinnamon to the dry ingredients and a touch of good ole’ vanilla in my wet.

61. Debbie says:

I have been making these for ages now as a Sunday morning treat and kept forgetting to thank you for one of our favorite recipes. LOVE them!

62. susan linck says:

These are great. I wanted to try something other than the SC diet muffins and wow what an upgrade. I kept them SC legal and only used almond meal and they are great. A new staple in my recipe book ! Thanks

63. Brenda Galloway says:

My husband has probably missed cinnamon rolls more than anything since switching to paleo. He loves these & they are super amazing!! I did combine almond and coconut flours (1.5 c almond & .5 c coconut). Added an egg, & 1 tsp vanilla. We will be making these weekly!!❤️

64. Jeanntte says:

Soooo good! Just started eating paleo 1.5 weeks ago. This was my official, maiden voyage, grain free baking. Thank you! They turned out amazing!

65. Pingback: Cinnamon Roll Muffins | Taylor Made It Paleo

66. Vidya says:

Hi!
    I made these a few days ago and they tasted amazing but were very dense and heavy. I used almond milk instead of yogurt and I used an egg replacer.
    Any ideas what could have gone wrong?
    Im new to gluten free baking so im not sure how to figure out what to do differently.
    Thanks!