Yellow Cake {using almond flour & coconut sugar}

Strawberry Shortcake side

While this is not the post I intended to publish this week, it’s all I have for you.  I hope you’ll like this, however short and sweet it may seem.

Dexter with berries

I’m a bit weary and weepy. We’ve lost our very dear, furry boy. Our faithful canine companion of 10 years. You may have occasionally seen a picture of him in a post. He was a great dog, my first, and to us, the best dog on the planet. He will be missed, but he had a great life, and he went quickly. My heart is heavy, and I know we will recover over time, but I’m currently in a strange state, and can’t seem to bring myself to finish what I was intending to post.

Strawberry Shortcake above

Instead, I’m sharing my yellow cake recipe again, using a different sweetener, coconut sugar, which I tried yesterday for the first time. It came out great, and I’m almost certain that this will be the case every time. The only thing I noticed is the cake did not rise as much, but it didn’t sink one bit (as the one with honey can do). I cut one cake in half to get two layers in the strawberry cake you see in the picture, but two cakes would be great if you are just using frosting to layer the cake. You could also make two round cakes, cut each, and have a 4 layer cake!

Strawberry Shortcake 2nd layer

Coconut sugar has been on my radar for a while – mostly while I’m walking along the sweetener section of my local PCC Market. When I read more about it on this site, I decided it was time to experiment. Here are the things that may intrigue you as well: it has a low glycemic index, a high nutrient content, and this company produces it in a sustainable way. It also tastes very much like brown sugar, has a caramel-like flavor, and has the crystal-like consistency of granulated sugar.

It actually seems sweeter to me than the cake I make with honey. And it has a really nice flavor that doesn’t come through as much with the yellow cake using honey as the sweetener. I’m really temped to try the palm sugar in chocolate chip cookie and cupcake recipes. I wonder if it will make a cookie crunchy? Hmm.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  39 Comments

39 Responses to Yellow Cake {using almond flour & coconut sugar}

1. nicole dragos says:

so sorry to hear about your doggy. I have been been checking your website daily, and making your wonderful recipes for a year and half now since I was diagnosed with crohns. You have a wonderful site and it has been so helpful to me. I just wanted to thank you! My thoughts are with you and your family, I know how hard it is to lose our doggies. They really are part of our family. hugs.

2. Jillian says:

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing this wonderful cake recipe and the info on palm sugar. I can’t wait to try the recipe.

3. Hänni says:

I’m sorry to hear about your puppy. This is still a beautiful post, even if you didn’t intend for it.

So sorry for your loss :( I have an Australian Shepherd too, they are wonderful dogs.

5. Amanda Mae says:

So sorry about your dog, I am dog lover and completely understand! <3

6. so sorry about your dog. They give so much love and when they are gone, there is so much heart break.

I haven’t been using coconut sugar too long either. I like the flavor and smell of it.

7. Virginia says:

My heartfelt sympathies over the loss of your beautiful dog. They are our family, and this is indeed a sad time for you. I’ve been through it, and completely understand how heavy your heart is right now.
    Time will eventually take away the sadness, replacing it with smiles from the happy memories you’ll always carry. <3

8. Ricki says:

So sorry to hear about your pooch. We love them so much, it’s hard to imagine losing them! He looks like a lovely, happy dog, clearly enjoying his life with you in that photo. What a sweetie.

9. Penny says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have been through it and it rips your heart out. Stronger days will come. It has been 4 years since our Bo passed. I still cry at times but, mostly find myself laughing about his funny personality, and smiling when I think of his loyalty to the family and protectiveness of the children when they were little. I pray your broken heart is quickly mended and that happy memories of the past bring you smiles and laughter soon.

10. Debbie says:

What a beautiful cake and a precious little friend. So very sad of his passing. We went through this with our first dog this very same week and eventhough it has been 14 yrs it still feels like yesterday in some ways. my thoughts and prayers for comfort during this tough time. (hugs)

11. sproutsmama says:

fur family are so dear to our hearts. blessings to you and your family in this hard time. i can tell from your picture that he had such a lovely smile.

12. Bianca says:

My heart goes out to you; losing a pet is the hardest thing.

Thanks for all the kind wishes and thoughts!

14. Janet NZ says:

I’m so very sorry about your dog.
    Fur children are so precious and it is always so hard when you lose one.
    My love to you.

15. Berneda says:

Animals are so precious to us, I know. I’m sure you gave your doggie everything you have and more. My heart goes out to you and your family.

“UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL,
    PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNWAKENED”

16. Kathleen Czinner says:

So sorry about your loss; I understand how you’re all feeling. 3 yrs ago we lost our darling Shenzi – the ‘heart-pain’ has lessened but we still miss her and talk about her. She had a companion who grieved too – he’s still with us. Since he always had a companion since puppy-hood we got one for him too and they’re really happy together.
    Just as with humans, one doesn’t replace the other but gives you another to love and be loved by. You’ll know when the time is right.
    They live in our hearts for ever. I grew up with 4 dogs and 4 cats and had 2 lovely girls and 1 boy (cats) before Shenzi, all very special with their own personalities – ‘dogalities and catalities’ – and all very precious. I remember them all and continually feel the joy of having them share my life for however long they were with me.
    With love to you and family
    Kathleen – Sydney, Australia

PS: Love your site and recipes. Thanks so much for what you do. What a treasure you are!

17. Allie Brown says:

Awww, terribly sorry to hear about your darling dog. :( My heart goes out to you & your family!!!! <3 p.s. Quite a beautiful post/cake!!!!! :) Can't wait to make more progress on the SCD diet so I can make it for myself!

18. Jill says:

I’m so sorry to hear you lost your dog. I’ve lost a few and I still weep at times. I hope this poem suits you, it still makes me weepy but I like it and hope there is something in it for you at this time.

In My Good Death

by Dalia Shevin

I will find myself deep in high summer grass. The humming shock of golden light.

And I will hear them before I see them, and know right away who is bounding across the field to meet me.

All my good dogs will come then, their wet noses bumping against my palms, their hot panting, their rough faithful tongues.

Their eyes young and shiny again. The wiry scruff of their fur, the unspeakable softness of their bellies, their velvet ears against my cheeks. I will bend to them, my face covered with their kisses, my hands full of them. In the grass I will let them knock me down.

19. I am deeply sorry about your devastating loss of your beautiful dog. He always looked so lovely in your photos. The loss of such a companion always leaves a hole in your heart that only time will begin to heal.
    Thank you for all the work you do on your recipes and blog.

20. Ann says:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful dog. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Sorry, but what is your recipe for whipped cream? And which do you suggest for this recipe, whipped cream or icying? Wouldn’t the whipped cream get “smooshed?” Can’t wait to try it! Again thanks for the recipe and so sorry for your loss!

Ann, the whipped cream recipe is pretty simple (it’s in the previous post on strawberry muffins).

1 cup of heavy cream (or crème fraîche)
      1 tablespoon of honey (or other sweetener; I love maple syrup in whipped cream!); adjust to taste

Add the ingredients to a bowl and whip the cream for a few minutes, or until it starts to form soft peaks. You can refrigerate it for several days.

21. Amy says:

Erica,

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I have two faithful companions myself and they are my sweet girls. It’s hard to imagine life without them. :( I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I so enjoyed your Dog Foodie posts. I’m hoping to get a chance here soon to make these treats for my girls. Thank you for the thoughtful recipes for our sweet furry family members.

~Amy

22. Diana Hires says:

Following a tour of our new Wal Mart grocery department I went online to look for a way to use the Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour they carry. I love almond flavor and aside from the Krustez Almond Poppy Seed muffin mix at Wal Mart and a frozen almond bake and serve torte at Trader Joe’s and marzipan at World Market, there isn’t anything already made. My question about this recipe is why you have used vanilla instead of almond flavouring and why you have not specified an oil (grapeseed, olive, or other healthy oils) in the recipe. I am trying to find recipes that are appropriate for people concerned with preventing diabetes and cancer. Thank you so much. Love your information and I will be sharing it with friends.

Diana, I imagine you can use almond oil flavoring if that’s the flavor you’re after. Vanilla imparts a vanilla-cake-like flavoring. Feel free to use the oil of choice for your own health – everyone has their preference.

23. Rocio says:

My heart goes out to you regarding the loss of your special, beloved boy. We lost our gorgeous kitty Curry, this past November, in a very sudden and tragic way. The loss has been hard and so I empathize completely with your loss…we are so blessed to have been touched by these special sweethearts! My life has been richer because of it.
    Thank you for a wonderful site – I just discovered it a few days ago.
    Blessings,
    Rocio

24. SK says:

Just made this cake and it is DELICIOUS! Thank you for this amazing recipe :)

25. Gabi says:

I just made this cake for my daughter’s first birthday. I ended up with2 deflated pancakes. Is there any reason why this cake does not ask for baking powder? I had to make another batch (4 layers) or it wouldn’t have been thick enough to stick a candle in it. When I beat the egg whites with the vinegar, it got frothy but did not thicken. Is there something missing from this recipe?

Yes, I use baking soda, but you could add or replace baking powder if you wish. It doesn’t rise that much, but it should be flat. Was the batter kind of airy?

26. Jamie says:

Hello! I have never read your blog before but was just googling the words “coconut sugar and almond flour” to find a recipe to satisfy my sweet tooth and came across this post. Oddly enough, today is one year and one day after you posted this. I just wanted to say that I hope time has healed your pain from the loss of your sweet dog. I pray that you are doing better and that the anniversary of your loss wasn’t too overwhelming for you. Thanks for the recipe-I look forward to making it today!

27. Joanna says:

Question: my son cannot have citrus. Can I omit lemon juice at all? And why do we have to add vinegar to the egg white? Can we do without it?

Thank you so much. We’re starting paleo diet for my special needs son. So, I really love that your recipe used almond flour only.

Joanna

The lemon and vinegar provide an acid partner to the baking soda so the cake can rise. You could probably get away with leaving out the lemon juice.

28. Greenmama says:

I was so excited to try this recipe, I am always looking for tasty new gaps-friendly recipes for special occasions in our household. I made it with a fudgy frosting made from unsweetened chocolate, butter, and honey, and I don’t feel that it held up well, it absorbed the moisture from the frosting and didn’t have much flavor at all. The layers (I doubled the recipe) came out perfectly before frosting, but compacted and got super moist and dense and darker in color after frosting. I think it would have been lovely if I had made it as more of a shortcake, the way you intended. I hope you don’t mind my posting this, I just thought it might be helpful to other readers to know that it doesn’t work so well with a super-rich icing on top. All of that said, my husband and children ate every single crumb. Thank you for the recipe!! I can’t wait to try it with some coconut whipped “cream” and strawberries when they are in season next spring.

No worries. I love the feedback. I’ve found this to be a bit delicate at times as well. I’m revising this recipe now anyway (for the site and the book). Best wishes, Erica

29. Lisa says:

I’m so sorry about your dog! I know exactly how you feel. My favorite dog has been gone for about 8 years and I still miss her! We now have a wonderful dog as well. I pray time will heal your wounds.
    Thanks for the great food posts!