I eat cupcakes for breakfast. There. I said it. I don’t drink coffee, I don’t drink alcohol (much), I don’t do drugs (if I can help it), and I get a lot of exercise. I wish I got more sleep. And if I had to admit to one vice (I have more), I’d say it’s chocolate.
Since I’ve don’t eat much dairy other than yogurt and a bit of cheese occasionally (Gromit), I like to make things that have little or no dairy in them. So here’s a very simple recipe for chocolate ganache, using just three ingredients: coconut oil, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. For me, the ganache is quite good just like this, but if you’re feeling the need to add stuff, a bit of salt and vanilla does the trick. And feel free to substitute your sweetener of choice.
And in case you’re getting an urge to eat what’s in the picture, here are some chocolate cupcake recipes to drizzle your ganache over:
- Chocolate cupcakes using coconut flour
- Chocolate honey-dipped donuts and cupcakes
- Whoopie Pies (can be used as a cupcake recipe)
I imagine you could use another oil/fat that is a solid at room temperature, like vegetable shortening. I just haven’t tried it yet, but if you do, my favorite is Spectrum Shortening.
Chocolate Ganache (using coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. It won’t take long for the oil to melt because it has a low melting point, melting at 76 degrees F (24 degrees C).
- Turn the heat off and stir in the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Optionally, blend in the salt and vanilla.
- Let the ganache cool to room temperature, or to speed things up, place the saucepan in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon or drizzle the ganache over your
breakfasttreat. Let it cool at room temperature for 5 minutes or so, or refrigerate until ready to devour.
- Store the ganache in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Reheat on a low heat to use it again.