Zucchini Bread {using almond flour}

Zucchini Bread

I’m entering baking mode for recipe testing since it has cooled down in the Seattle area. I’m trying save the good stuff for the book, but since it’s raining zucchinis, this recipe for zucchini bread seems timely.

Squash

Here’s a moist, subtly sweet bread recipe that will take some of those extra zucchinis sitting on your counter, or garden floor, and put them to good use.

Zucchini is one of those standard summer fruits  (even though it’s treated like a vegetable), that is taken for granted. No matter though, since it has proven that it is highly versatile. I’m finding it quite useful in several grain-free recipes.

The array of shapes and vibrant colors is what really attracts me to summer squash. There are long ones, round ones, crooked-necked ones, patty pans, rondelles, and the undefined shapes. They are yellow and green, striped, and in-between. Most summer squash have been cultivated in the Americas, however zucchini was originally cultivated in Italy and elsewhere in Europe and then brought to North America in the early 1900s.

While zucchini can grow quite large, the flavor is sweetest when it is picked young, when the seeds are soft, and squash isn’t fibrous. You can tell when they’re ready by their large yellow flowers beginning to bloom, and their delicate spongy flesh. Zucchinis can be stored in the refrigerator in a perforated bag for a week or so.

Zucchini Bread

I’m finding this zucchini bread recipe to be the perfect balance of sweetness and moisture. And if you’re interested, try adding some toasted walnuts and dried cranberries (about 1/4 cup) for additional flavors and textures.

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  59 Comments

59 Responses to Zucchini Bread {using almond flour}

1. I love the simplicity of the recipe, but I have yet to buy almond flour. Oh the joys of living on a college budget…

I hear you. I don’t know if I would have invested in almond flour while in college.

I just did some quick math: 2 cups of almond flour is about 7.2 ounces. A 5 pound bag of almond flour is about $30. So, the cost of almond flour to make this loaf of bread is $2.70. Not that bad. But shelling out $30 seems like a lot. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be though.

• Pete says:

I like to make my own almond flour, its really simple and costs a lot less. You can get a pound of raw almonds for about 4 bucks. Blanch them, dry and then grind them up in a processor. I prefer doing this because I don’t know how long that almond flour has been sitting on a shelf and chances are its already starting to go rancid.

2. Loretta E. says:

This sounds so delicious and easy! Part of me wants to jump into fall recipes, but another part of me can’t give up my summer produce quite yet!

3. Excellent! I’ve been craving a nice slice of zucchini bread lately.

oh good :). I just gave a loaf to an elderly neighbor, who was in heaven. I never knew it but she said she has always been grain-free! And she has 14 grandchildren and has baked with almond flour for 30 years!

• Terry says:

How wonderful Erica!
          I would imagine that your neighbour has a TON of killer recipes….I would go to the source and ask for as many as possible. Perhaps you could even get her to compose a cookbook as a legacy!

4. Celine says:

I love all of your recipes, but I had trouble with this one!
      I made the loaf last night, and after an hour in the over the loaf was still pretty much raw on the inside :(
      Any ideas why this may have happened??

Thanks!

I knew this might be tricky depending on how you measure stuff and your oven setting. For the zucchini, I don’t pack it down – it’s a “light” 2 cups, but try going down to 1 1/2 cups. And dry the zucchini off with a paper towel to get rid of some moisture. Also, I use the convection setting in my oven a lot to speed things up. So it might take a bit longer to bake at a regular oven setting. but it should be longer than another 10 minutes.

5. Dani Weiss says:

Hi Erica,
      I just made this bread this weekend and used coconut oil instead of olive or butter. It is amazing. I will agree that it took a lot longer than the recipe says in the regular oven. At 40 minutes, it was still very loose in the middle. I took it out and put it into my convection toaster oven and 20 minutes later it was done. I would perhaps try it again in a regular oven and see how long it actually takes. I have had several of the baking recipes take longer in a regular oven. Fantastic recipe, very yummy!

6. Lori says:

Made this and it was great! Not too zucchini-y for the kids. Great texture for a gluten-free bread. Thanks for posting!

7. Lily says:

This was amazing! Very moist and the spices were great. I’m thinking of swapping out the zucchini next time for carrots. Seems like it would be a good fit with these spices as well.

8. Margaret says:

I made this today and it was so delicious!! I think I will cut the oil in half next time or use applesauce instead. It did take about 1 hour 20 min in my oven…

wow, 1 hour 20 minutes. You may be able to bake at a slightly higher temperature (depending on your oven). Was it burnt on the outside? If you try this without oil, let us know how it turns out. I’m tempted but I don’t have zuchinis at the moment. One more thought: it’s possible that the applesauce is providing too much moisture.

9. Sarah says:

I love this recipe!
      Do you happen to know of the carbohydrate count per serving or an easy way to figure that out?
      Thank you!

10. Diane says:

I made this yesterday, my first try using almond flour, but I didnt get the “rise”. Your picture looks nothing like mine. Though it cane out delicious and moist, it was kinda dense. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

It’s not a light bread if that’s what you’re looking for. It should rise though. Did you leave out baking soda?

• Diane says:

Hi Erica, I did use the amount of baking soda that the recipe called for, (I remember useing the 1/2 teaspoon for both the sea salt and baking soda) I even went back and checked the expiration date on the box (2016)..it was a new box. I wasnt expecting a “fluffy” bread…but I did expect it to rise higher than the height of the poured batter before it went into the oven! It’s not too soggy, the zucchini was drained/patted dry after grating. I used a 5×8 pan and added some chopped nuts, that is the only difference that I can see.

hmmm. it shouldn’t be too dense, just moist and a bit heavier than a cake – sort of like the banana bread. If it’s just low, then that would explain it’s appearance, but other than that I’m not sure. sorry!

11. Stacie says:

Has anyone tried making this without the eggs? Would flax meal work? I have egg replacers mix but am nervous about using it. I tried using it when making the Simple Yellow Cake recipe and it was a disaster! lol!

12. Colleen says:

Erica, this is absolutely amazing! I actually made two versions of the recipe (my son has dozens of food allergies, so his version had a combo of buckwheat-quinoa-brown-rice flour; and then a batch for my hubs and me with almond and quinoa flour, as well as coconut oil). My husband and I devoured most of our batch last night, and now we’re finishing the last two pieces for breakfast. ;) This is marvelously moist and perfectly sweet. Thank you for such a keeper!!!

13. Amber Branson says:

This looks devine! Wondering if I could sub the almond flour with coconut flour and add some coconut flakes for more of a zucchini “cake”? Thanks for the recipe, definitely going to try it out! !

14. Aileen says:

Hi Erica,

I did make and have now eaten this zucchini bread. I followed your recipe to a T and it was perfect, delicious and I am so excited to keep making it! Oh, I ran out of honey and used some agave to make up.. The spice ratio is also perfect for me, I wasn’t looking for a spice cake taste and this combo / amount was perfect to add flavor without overpowering. I did use 11/2 loose packed cups of zucchini that I laid between paper towels and even pressed a bit before mixing in – I cook a lot and recall how you need the moisture to come out of things like eggplant for recipes to work.. Lastly I baked at 350 in regular oven for 60 minutes exactly, came out golden brown all around. Look forward to using more of your recipes!! Thanks again!!

15. Anna says:

I wonder would this freeze well? Wanting to make a double batch

16. KarenB says:

I loved this recipe! I used 1-1/2 cups ground almond flour with 1/4 cup white rice flour. I also used a scant 1/2 cup of honey with 1/8 cup of dark molasses. Absolutely amazing flavor, and I’ll definitely bookmark your site to visit often.

It’s hard to find great recipes when trying to avoid wheat flour, but this bread recipe beats my “wheat” recipe hands-down.

Thanks so much!

17. Kristen says:

Thanks for this great recipe! I am sampling it directly off my cooling rack, and it tastes awesome!

I made a couple of minor adjustments based on what I had on hand, which I will record here in case others are interested:
      - Squeezed the shredded zucchini tightly in a tea towel to remove more of the liquid
      - Used Trader Joe’s almond meal instead of blanched almond flour
      - Was out of ginger powder, but added a sprinkle of clove powder
      - Added a few drops of both vanilla and orange extract
      - Sprinkled chopped walnuts on top
      - Cooked in an 8×8 brownie pan (reducing the cooking time to ~35 min)

I also used maybe a tablespoon less than 1/2 cup of honey and thought it was plenty sweet. I may even reduce the honey a bit more next time (purely for health reasons–it tastes awesome as is!)

Thanks again for sharing!

18. Suzanne Wurster says:

Super yummy! Made it today and had a slice of it warm! So good! Thanks for the great recipe!

19. Juliann Mehall says:

I am so happy to find a zucchini recipe w/o wheat flour. I am trying to get away from it. I will try this tonight for our camping vacation during the week. Can’t wait!!

20. Katharine says:

I made this to accommodate my need for a lower carb baked good (for blood sugar control). Instead of honey I used 1/2 cup swerve, and added 2-4T water to the batter. I also used ghee. I cooked it in 2 mini loaf pans for 50 min, at 350. DELICIOUS!!

21. Pingback: Zucchini bread | Yamas

22. Pingback: Challenge Days 3 and 4: Zucchini Bread and Fire Cider | Finding Your Spirit...

23. Julie says:

Hi I just found this recipe and I’m excited to try it soon. I wanted to comment on the question of “will it freeze well?” I have made plenty of almond flour muffins, and they have taken to the freezer quite well. The only issue is defrosting them. If you defrost them in a microwave they get super hard. You must let them thaw out on the counter in room temperature. I assume a bread like this would be similar. Thanks for sharing the recipe! – Julie | alonewithmytea.blogspot.com

24. Pingback: Almond, Cardamom, and Ginger Teacake

25. Carole says:

I made this recipe for my daughter. She loved it. She has not had zuccini bread for 2 1/2 years. I used the maple syrup instead of honey and added 2 tsp vanilla. From all the comments that I read, I squeezed the water out of the zucchini. I also made muffins and sprinkled raw pumpkin seeds on top of half of them. The muffins baked in 24 minutes and were very moist inside. Going to try banana nut breas/muffins mext. Great recipe. Thanks!

26. Pingback: SCD Zucchini Bread | Life is a Journey

27. Sara says:

This was delicious! My husband and I are on GAPS and this fits perfectly! I wrung out my zucchini and only used 1/4 cup of honey. PERFECT! I only needed about 40-45 mins or so, but I’m at high altitude which might have made a difference? THANK YOU! I’m trying to save the piece I brought to work with me but that’s going to be really hard….!

28. jenn says:

Delicious. I doubled the batch and added some cardamom. Half the batch went into a loaf topped with walnuts, the other I added a teaspoon of Hershey dark coco powder and a handful of chocolate chips. It was amazing! Also reduced honey to 1/3 vs 1/2.

29. Pingback: Easy Gluten Free Dairy Free Zucchini Muffins and Bread | Hungry Like the Wilf

30. Gabrielle says:

This zucchini bread looks great. I was wondering if you could substitute cashew flour for the almond and still get good results. I have lots of cashew flour and was looking to use.

yes, in general, you can swap nut flours. I haven’t tried it, but I bet it will taste only slightly different due to the subtle flavor difference between the two flours.