• Kale Skillet Frittata

Comfy Belly: Kale Skillet Frittata

I’m currently experimenting with my newly acquired Lodge skillets. I have 3 perfectly good frying pans in three different sizes that work well. But my frying pans are not seasoned cast iron skillets. Yes, there is a difference. And skillets are quite affordable. I almost wish I had started out with them. But onward.

Comfy Belly: Kale Skillet Frittata

First I purchased the griddle and it makes fantastic crepes and pancakes. I just grease it with ghee or oil and off I go. No scratching, no messy cleanup, no burnt surface to soak for days and remove with elbow grease. It just needs to be cleaned with water and a scrub brush, dried, and then lightly oiled or greased to coat the seasoned surface (sometimes I use mild soap). Here’s a link to caring for cast iron skillets that I found helpful.

Then I decided to buy the 8-inch skillet, not realizing that it was a tad smaller than I had invisioned. Never mind though, I have found infinite uses for it, from making 2 eggs scrambled, to caramelizing a small batch of onions or shallots, or make a small batch of cornbread in it. Finally, I purchased the 10-inch skillet which has a long and short handle on oppposite sides so I can grab it easily. It’s great for slightly larger scrambles, full meals, and larger frittatas.

I had a large bunch of Dino kale that was on the way out so that’s what I used here, but you can use any green you like in this recipe. Quite often I use spinach, chard, or a mix of left-overs greens. If you haven’t cooked in a skillet before, it’s a great way to make a quick and healthy one pan meal. It easily goes between range and oven.

Comfy Belly: Kale Skillet Frittata

Comfy Belly: Kale Skillet Frittata

Comfy Belly: Kale Skillet Frittata

I don’t use a lot of eggs or other additions in my frittata, but feel free to add more stuff to this and possibly a few more eggs. It’s a very flexible recipe. The only thing I would not skip is the caramelized shallots (or use onions). An 8-inch skillet will make a small, high fritatta, or use a 10-inch skillet for a flatter version, or add more stuff to your frittata.

Comfy Belly: Kale Skillet Frittata

Posted in Breakfast, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian  |  17 Comments

17 Responses to Kale Skillet Frittata

1. KimH says:

I love my cast iron… and I love those fritatas.. Made one today with sausage, mushrooms, & asparagus… Yum!

2. Michelle says:

Been thinking of buying a cast iron pan, thanks for inspiration.

3. I absolutely love frittatas and I must admit that I am a bit of a frittata snob. And I must say you have a really excellent combo for a frittata and a really unique one at that. Although I’m not sure that 4 eggs will be enough for 4 people. Maybe double it to 8? Plus having 8 eggs will probably make it a little more full and fluffy. Unless you’re going for a less fluffy frittata which is equally as good. Just a suggestion. Regardless this is a lovely recipe and my friend who loves kale is definitely getting a surprise next time they come over!

Thanks. Yes, you’re right – most frittatas have more eggs. You’ll noticed that I mention adding more eggs. I prefer fewer eggs and more other stuff. And I added a lot of kale here. The more eggs, the fluffier and eggier, for sure.

4. sandy says:

I have been enjoying your recipes for a while and just wanted to say thank you for sharing. As for cast iron, there are no better frying/baling pans. The crust a cast iron skillet creates on corn bread cannot be surpassed. Making muffins in a cast iron muffin pan… oh my crusty goodness. And for roasting try a cast iron dutch oven… heat the dutch oven on stove top and sear the meat then deglaze and roast away! Heavenly…

Thanks Sandy. I’m trying to control myself and not buy the dutch oven because I have a brand new Le Creuset large saucepan with a cover, and a slow-cooker (from 10 years ago that works with only two settings). I have to draw the line somewhere.

5. Michele says:

I have also been a fan of cast iron for years. Of course I have to have all the sizes because I had a large family with eight children. We are down to two children but it’s hard to adjust those recipes down. I still use the big ones when the kids and grandkids come home. The skillets are just wonderful to use. I have only one non stick skillet left. It’s a grill pan. I have the Lodge grill pan too but it’s so hard to get the gunk out from between the ridges and it really burns on there.

Bummer on the gunk. I haven’t had a problem, yet. Just fyi – the Lodge site has directions on how to care for your cast iron, re-season it, etc. i found it quite helpful.

6. Sonya says:

Made this last night and it was delciious! Thank you for the great recipe.

7. I was boasting to my sister and husband about my huge cast iron pan that I found for a steal of $16 at homegoods. It reminds me of the cookware my grandmother used on the farm and her food always seemed so much more complex and rich. I made a roast beef on it using natural beef and organic carrots and onions. The next day I made a leafy green thing I thought was just eggs with a bunch of in season stuff from my garden but is actually considered a frittata 🙂 I totally feel fancy!

Love that tip about roasting in the skillet! thanks. Totally agree about the feel of “grandma” cookware. I kind of feel like I’m homesteading when I use cast iron.

8. Also, thanks for the skillet care instructions, they were right on time!

9. Aileen says:

I have just discovered your website (thank you for creating it!) I found you when looking for gluten free zucchini bread (which is in my oven right now). Anyway as I read through your posts I came across this one about your new cast iron pans and I thought I would add that they are my favorite pan for so many uses & yes the more seasoned the better! I have a small 5 inch one that hangs of a super strong magnet on my fridge – an easy grab when I need to toast up a handful of pine nuts for a salad. I rarely wash it, but simply rub it clean with a paper towel. Well my zucchini bread is beginning to smell delicious – can’t wait to try it! Thanks again!!

10. Tracy says:

Would it be possible to bake this in a foil pan and make it more of a quiche? I’m searching for something that will work for a couple who are new parents, that can be easily taken over and reheated by them, and a skillet would be a bit difficult for that! They have very limited diets, but everything here fits the bill otherwise. Thanks for any suggestions!