Crème fraîche

Creme fraiche in bowl

I was turned on to crème fraîche when I started making home-made yogurt, and I was desperate for a creamy treat for my son, who was craving ice cream.

Crème fraîche, besides being a fantastic substitution for sour cream, can be used to make lots of rich and creamy foods, including the mango pops and fruit smoothies that are consumed faster than I can keep up.

This crème fraîche, like other yogurts I make (goat milk, half & half, etc.) is cultured for 24 hours to remove all the lactose from the heavy cream. You don’t have to culture it for 24 hours, but the longer you culture it, the less lactose will remain at the end and the tarter the yogurt will be.

Posted in Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, Sauces & Dressings, SCD, Tips, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  11 Comments

11 Responses to Crème fraîche

1. Gina says:

Have you ever whipped it added honey to make a “whipped cream” of sorts? I was thinking about making it to use as a topping for the pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving.

Hi Gina, I did, once a while ago. It was just ok for me. The rest of the gang wouldn’t touch it. So I didn’t try it again. But, I think if it’s not cultured as long (not as sour) it will taste more like whipped cream. You might consider a coconut oil-based frosting. It’s on my list to try soon.

3. Gina says:

Okay, thanks!

4. megan says:

Is it possible to use pasturized cream for this recipe? I can’t get my hands on raw cream!!

Hi Megan. I use pasturized cream also. No problem.

6. Gail Osborne says:

I whip creme fraiche all the time. I add a little honey, stevia or dextrose, to sweeten and a little vanilla (or almond, rum or other flavoring) then whip away with cold beaters and bowl. It whips beautifully and makes luscious cloud-like cream that is excellent with pumpkin pie. If you are expecting it to taste exactly like whipped cream it may take a little time to get used to the slightly yogurty tasty. After 3 months of no sugar or starch on SCD, this was a treat and tasted lovely. The trick is to not eat the whole batch in one sitting.

7. Sue Jones Umberger says:

Your recipe for creme fraiche calls for heavy cream. Doesn’t heavy cream have lactose? Wouldn’t your recipe be harmful to those that have milk allergies? Thank you.

Heavy cream actually has less lactose in it then milk. That said, if you culture it for the full 24 hours, the bacteria break down all of the lactose in the cream.

8. Elizabeth says:

Ok I found a much easier way to make this. Add 2 T buttermilk to 1 pint cream. Cover and place in warm place for 24 hrs. Totally worked and was super easy!