Almond Flour Waffles

Comfy Belly: Almond Flour Waffles

Waffles come out best with a reliable waffle iron. I’m not a huge fan of blog advertising, and I was not paid in any way to mention this product, but when I find something I like or works well, it seems worthwhile to share. So here goes: I love my waffle iron. This waffle recipe is just like my donuts recipe, and you can play with this recipe to lighten the waffle or make it spicy or sweet. And it goes well with a variety of toppings. What are your favorite waffle toppings?

To inspire you, here are some waffle topping ideas:

• real maple syrup
  • honey or maple syrup and butter melted on top
  • honey or syrup and roasted pecans
  • cinnamon, honey and butter melted on top
  • Orange honey syrup
  • Sliced fruit (bananas and strawberries – yum!)
  • Warm fruit, such as apple or blueberries on top are heavenly
  • Ice cream or frozen yogurt
  • Fruit syrup plus yogurt

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  38 Comments

38 Responses to Almond Flour Waffles

1. Kathy says:

My son is allergic to eggs but I would like to make waffles for him. What can I use to replace eggs in the recipe?

Kathy, thanks for adding this post :).
    When I was removing stuff from my son’s diet to try to pinpoint what was ailing him (food elimination diet), I was using an egg replacement called Ener-G Egg Replacer (not with this recipe though). Check the ingredients before you use this product: http://www.amazon.com/Ener-Foods-Egg-Replacer-Oz/dp/B00127FW3K
    But that said, I would give the recipe a try by just modifying it a bit, based on some recipes I have found (see below).
    I found a couple of recipes that don’t use egg, so it could very well work with the almond flour.
    Check these links out:

3. Laura Mayhorn says:

Hi,
    I love your website – so helpful! I was wondering if you have ever tried separating the whites and beating them before adding to the wet ingredients. This is the way I used to make waffles – do you think it would work for this recipe?
    Laura

4. JoAnne says:

Do you use nonstick cooking spray? Some of the reviewers on Amazon insisted that it was necessary, but I’d really prefer not to… otherwise I’m excited to try these as soon as I get a waffle iron. ;)

Laura, yes – I think it would work – the egg separation thing.

JoAnne, I sometimes (when I remember) use a bit of olive oil in a mister, lightly on the surface. But I the waffle iron I have (in this post) doesn’t seem to need it.

7. Mary Lynn says:

Your site is LOVELY. The pictures make me want to get in the kitchen and cook! I’ve recently been diagnosed with gluten intolerance and dairy problems that have probably been extent my whole life and are now showing up with skin problems. I’m excited to try some of these alternatives.
    Thank you!

8. How great to find a fellow grain-free blogger! It’s great to be acquainted with your site! JoAnne (above) tipped me off to your site!
    I’ll be checking back often!
    Carrie

Hi Carrie! Thanks for stopping by. Lots of good info on your site. And I love your blog title :)

10. J says:

I’m going to try these this morning. I’m goning into a ‘food depression’ as some times happens when I look at what I would like to eat and what the nutritionist has told me I can eat. Waffles are a huge comfort food for me, so I am looking forward to warm satisfying meal. Thanks for doing all of the experimenting so I can just sit down and eat. :)

• J says:

I’m finally getting around to writing my response about these. It was a perfect comfort breakfast – fluffy and eggy they way I like them. And I’ve had them many times since then. Even my husband who avoides my ‘special’ foods like the pleague likes them. I use half the amount of sweetener – I tried it with none, but it didn’t brown right. Last week I added coco powder and chocolate chips. Thanks again!

11. Apsalar says:

I made this the other day, and really enjoyed it. I cut the recipe in half, left out the honey because I can never whisk it in with cold ingredients, and added 2 tablespoons of pureed pumpkin. I liked it better than the coconut waffles. Thanks!

Hi Apsalar. Pumpkin! Good to know. I would have never thought to try that.

13. Carrie says:

Do you still use this waffle iron? I see that it’s not available on amazon anymore. Are you concerned at all with non-stick coatings? I’m trying to stay away from them, but with waffle irons it’s nearly impossible unless you go really old school with cast iron… but that’s no fun for waffles! :) Hoping you have some good insight into this… and can point me to a good (and hopefully safe and healthy) waffle iron. Thanks!! LOVE YOUR SITE! :)

Bummer. Maybe they’ll come back in a newer model, being that this model is so popular. I do avoid non-stick coatings on kitchenware, but this is one exception I make – I agree with you – it’s almost impossible to avoid non-stick with waffle makers. I have seen cast iron makers, but I can’t recommend any off-hand.

14. J says:

Made this recipe again this morning, but has I had a very ripe banana, I mashed that in and skipped the honey. Tasted like fresh banana bread and made the house smell wonderful!

–J

15. PCJAE says:

We just finished our breakfast having these waffles. They are kid approved! One son said they were dry, but I’m guessing it’s because I don’t let him flood his waffle with maple syrup. They came out very brown, so maybe next time I won’t cook them as long. I was also thinking maybe I’ll add some melted coconut oil to the mix to see if it helps with moisture. Maybe I used too much almond flour. I’m not sure how to go about measuring it, and I may have packed in too much flour in the measuring cup. All in all, the waffles were a success!

16. Awesome! Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe.

17. Caroline Lunger says:

would you recommend your almond or coconut flour waffles?

18. Lanie says:

Are these crunchy? Would the coconut or almond flour be crunchier? I miss the crunchyness for the gluten ones.

19. Anna says:

I have celiac disease and tried making these this morning and they were AWESOME! Hands down the best-tasting gluten-free waffles I’ve tried so far – thanks for the recipe, I will definitely make these again!!

20. Heidi says:

I just made these and they are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. My boys like them with blueberries inside and blueberry syrup, which I make from heating up blueberry jelly. So yummy!

21. Kisha says:

Looks yummy. Are they crispy?

22. Stephanie says:

Made these last night. I substituted a ripe banana for the honey. The kids are dipping them in syrup anyway! Very yummy. I reheated them under the broiler. Very nice.

23. Shannon says:

Followed the recipe exactly and these waffles were wonderful! We enjoyed them with our own home canned peaches…easy and delicious waffle recipe!

24. Jessica Harris says:

Best almond flour waffles so far! I have tried many recipes and these are AWESOME!! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

25. Leslie Ruff says:

These are seriously…the BEST waffles I’ve ever had! Even my husband, who can eat whatever he wants, loves these waffles. I so look forward to the morning when I can eat breakfast!!! Thank you Comfy Belly for rockin’ my world…in a totally appropriate food kinda way! ;-)