If you love the flavor of coffee, or just like ice coffee and coffee ice cream, you just might enjoy this treat. It’s simple to make and can be consumed immediately, or frozen for later.
My younger son likes coffee. I think it’s because it’s so accessible, with two Starbucks in walking distance from school. It’s also a great place to hang out, and the drinks are sweet and tasty… and expensive for students in middle school.
So, he started making his own frozen coffee drinks, decaf. I have to admit, I like them too, even though I’m not a coffee drinker. And this recipe can be used as a frozen coffee drink or as coffee ice cream.
We use coconut milk, but any kind of whole milk or cream will work – cow, goat, or almond milk for a lighter, less creamy version.
Creamy Coffee Ice Cream Treat
- 2 cups or one can of coconut milk (or other kind of milk)
- 3 tablespoons of instant coffee (decaf; the kind that dissolves in water instantly)
- 1 cup of honey (or to taste)
- 1 to 3 cups of finely crushed ice
- In a blender, place the milk, coffee, and honey, and blend for a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of crushed ice, and blend again for few minutes.
- Taste and add more ice if you like it less creamy, or stop here and add the mixture to an ice cream maker. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, place the liquid in the refrigerator for 30 minutes intervals, blending the mixture in between each 30 minute interval, until it is the consistency of ice cream.
- If you want to consume this now as a thick ice coffee shake, just add more crushed ice to taste and enjoy in a tall glass with a straw.
- For ice cream, you can consume it now, or freeze it for later.