Rustic French Green Lentil Soup

Rustic French Green Lentil Soup

After success with the red lentil soup, I wanted to see what the French green lentils would taste like. The result is a tasty, hardy soup, with a lot of character.

Compared to red lentils, green lentils are a sturdier bunch, with a bit of a bite to them. They go great with hardy greens, tomatoes, and lots of seasoning. This soup does take a bit longer to make than the red lentil – about another 15 minutes.

Most of the time I open a can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes, but you can use any kind of stewed or roasted tomato recipe for this soup. Roasting tomatoes takes time, but the rewards are worth it. To roast tomatoes for sauce, I add chopped tomatoes to a baking dish, cover with a bit of olive oil, garlic, and salt. Place some water on the bottom of the dish and cover lightly with foil. Roast for about 30 minutes or so. You may also want to remove the tomato skins before you add them to the soup.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, SCD, Soup, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  9 Comments

9 Responses to Rustic French Green Lentil Soup

1. Lisa Sloane says:

Hi there – I’m confused about one thing. When draining the lentils – do you reserve that cooking water and then add back to the soup mixture or discard that water? Two cups of water doesn’t seem like enough for the rest of the soup… Thanks!

Lisa, sorry for the confusion. Forget about that lentil water. Drain the lentils and get rid of the water (down the drain). Then use new water for the soup. Feel free to add more water because I like the soup very thick. So add at least another cup of water. The canned roasted tomatoes also have a lot of water, so it will depend on how much water comes from them as well.

3. Lisa Sloane says:

Thanks! I drained the lentil water, then added chicken stock (I’m not vegetarian) – soup turned out awesome – am eating some now for lunch today. Great recipe!

Great idea adding chicken stock! I’ll have to try that.

5. Tolana says:

I just found your blog and I am in love! The recipes look so good.

6. Jeanne says:

I use a similar recipe from Lucy’s SCD cookbook but also add a couple of large carrots, grated, for sweetness and color. Thanks for a great site and recipes.

7. Tami Rainmom says:

I make a southwest-style lentil stew using green chiles, onions, tomato, chopped carrots, chopped kale, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, garlic, etc. I add slices of hearty preservative-free, junk-free sausages, or organic mini-weenies cut in half, or ground beef. It comes out tasting like a lentil “chili”. My family loves it. It freezes well. We freeze leftovers in pint jars, giving 1.5″ of head space to allow expansion. Pints make it easy to grab for meals on the go. Biggest complaint? I need a larger freezer!

8. Eva Benitez says:

This came out delicious! I used chicken broth in place of water, didn’t change anything else. The roasted tomatoes gave it a smoky flavor, almost as if it had some ham in it. Very tasty! Next time I will use an 4-quart pot, my 3-quart pot was full to the top!