Eggplant Parmesan

Eggplant Parmesan

Get ready – this recipe is conventional in method, but somewhat unconventional in it’s use of ingredients.

I use eggplant, but you can use zucchini if you don’t eat this vegetable that is part of the nightshade family (which includes potatoes, tomatoes and chili peppers). Some folks have a noticeable intolerance to nightshades, and historically the nightshade family did contain toxic chemicals as a defense (mainly bitter alkaloids), however many years of selection and breeding have removed most of those chemicals and bitterness.

Tip The salted eggplant slices drip in a strainer for 15 minutes or so to remove excess moisture and collapse the eggplant down so it does not absorb a lot of oil when I fry it. If you don’t want to salt it, you can microwave or roast the slices of eggplant to get this desired effect.

I actually make half of this recipe because, alas, I’m the only one here who likes eggplant. I doubled it for readers so you can fill a 9 inch x 9 inch baking dish, however if you want less layers (two versus four layers), you can use half of everything in the recipe.

Frying

Layering

Baking dish

Posted in Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  11 Comments

11 Responses to Eggplant Parmesan

1. Tracee says:

Beautiful job. This looks so fancy. I always have trouble picking out a good eggplant.

2. Sarah says:

Looks delicious! If I used zucchini, should I also salt it to draw the moisture out? Not a big eggplant person. :)

3. Yuuummmmmm. I’m going to serve this to my 3 brothers as “lasagna” ;) They don’t like my new direction of cooking, but I have a feeling they’ll enjoy this one if marketed in just the right way to them.

4. Luana says:

I made this today and it was really good. I loved the goat cheese, something I would not have thought to use that really works well with the eggplant; it has a bit of sharpness and it’s creamy, which is a great combination in this dish.

However, I had a problem with browning the eggplant. I did not have it heavily coated in almond flour, yet a lot of it came off in the pan and turned into a dark mess. Had to wipe out the pan twice to continue browning. I’ve had the same problem before doing this with almond flour, so it’s no fault of your recipe. Seems if the pan is not hot enough, the eggplant does not cook quickly and if too hot, too much falls off. I may not have found the happy medium of getting the pan at the right heat.

Next time, I’ll either run them under the broiler to brown, or skip the almond flour and brush sliced eggplant with a bit of olive oil and run under the broiler. Either way, the recipe is definitely a keeper!

Luana – thanks for the low-down. Yes, the almond flour can brown on a higher heat. I kind of like it sometimes (like on the chicken fingers), but not burnt. You can try lowering the flame/heat, but it sounds like you would much prefer no almond flour coating – just roasting or pre-heating. I’ve done it both ways and it tastes great either way. Glad you gave it a try!

5. Christine says:

This was really yummy. I used a vegetarian bolognese sauce and swapped the goats cheese for a low fat mozzarella. Tasted way too indulgent for this to be low carb and healthy. Very filling too.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

6. Andrea says:

Instead of frying I greased a jelly roll pan and placed my floured eggplant slices on it. I let it bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes, flipping once in the middle. This way they still came out fried but I didn’t have to sit over the frying pan waiting to complete the whole batch! Great recipe…thanks!!!!

7. Cat says:

How thin do you cut your eggplant slices?