Pumpkin Bread {almost cake}

Pumpkin Bread close-up

I’ve been asked about a pumpkin bread recipe for over a year now, even though I’ve never made it before and didn’t really have a craving for it, or a request for it on the home front. But given that pumpkins are everywhere, I have caved.

Pumpkin Bread plate

It’s the next holiday after all – Pumpkin Day. Just kidding. It’s Halloween. I think I noticed Halloween stuff appearing in stores around the same time as school supplies last month.

And there are so many extra large pumpkins around town. I love seeing all the oversized pumpkins on display. What does one do with a very big pumpkin? It makes a great carving canvas, I imagine.

PCC Pumpkins

I have baked this recipe exactly once, and it’s very moist and flavorful. I’m actually surprised at how much I like it. It’s possible that I could have gotten away with one egg, or less pumpkin to reduce the moistness, and it will probably be less moist if you’re using canned pumpkin. My frozen squash defrosted into a bit of an orange puddle.

Update There is now a more bread-like pumpkin bread recipe, and this recipe has become a more cake-like version of pumpkin bread. Consider it a pumpkin pie cake.

I also debated about adding the olive oil, so I’m suggesting that it’s optional, and may reduce the moistness even further. This is the trick to baking with nut flours. They don’t naturally soak up moisture – they rest in it.

So, I’m just saying, this is a 1.0 recipe, which means I’d love to hear about any successes, variations or failures (hopefully there are none of the last kind). I suspect these will make great muffins too.

Slicing pumpkin bread

And, the below image is just one of the reasons I love PCC Natural Food Markets.

Gluten-free at PCC

Note I do plan on testing this with one more egg (since it is similar to my banana bread recipe, but without the egg-like qualities of banana puree), and raising the temperature in the oven to 350 degrees F as someone suggested. Just thought I’d put that out there if you’re game to test it.

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  42 Comments

42 Responses to Pumpkin Bread {almost cake}

1. Meredith says:

Well how perfect! My hubby and I were looking for this very recipe. I’m hoping to whip some up this weekend.

Great post, as always!

2. Michelle says:

This looks great. Thanks for the detailed recipe on how to make the pumpkin part…I am trying to get away from canned cause of the toxins in the can that leach out, but did NOT know how to make pumpkin from scratch! That sounds so bad..I do have some basic cooking skills, but all my recipes have called for canned pumpkin…You really help our family. Will pass on to my daughter who loves to cook alone and with me and with friends! I have a pumpkin sitting on our porch, waiting to be COOKED now, will carve out and NOT throw away insides..any tips on what to look for in pumpkin for cooking?? Thanks again!

3. Yum! Thanks for this! I made mine with 1/2 c. of honey, 1/2 c. of applesauce, and I used roasted sunflower seeds in place of the walnuts. It’s delicious!

4. Immi says:

I did some substituting myself… I used a ripe banana instead of the honey. As flour I used coconut flour. The result was interesting, but not superb. I ended up using only one cup of flour because there was less liquid as I didn’t use any honey.

I posted a picture of my version on my blog: http://napapilvi.blogspot.com/

5. Gail says:

Hi Erica,

Thank you for the great recipes. I made your pumpkin bread this morning, and it was totally delish! I used half maple syrup (1/2 cup) and 1/4 cup honey. I did not use any olive oil and so–not fat in this bread. It still turned out to be the most moist bread that I have ever eaten. I took some to a friend and she loved it so much she wants me to make her one so she can keep it in the freezer and take a piece when she feels like having pumpkin.

Oh, that’s great news. Thanks for telling me :). I bet it’s great reheated for a few minutes. My husband does that with the banana bread – reheats it for a few minutes in the toaster oven.

6. Pingback: Monday Mornings… | This Lunch Rox

7. Nancy says:

I found my bread was not done enough. 325 degrees is too low for baking bread. 350 degrees at 60 minutes is perfect.

Thanks Nancy! I often forget that I bake using the convection setting, which has the effect of baking at a higher temperature. Also, almond flour tends to burn, so when in doubt, it’s safer to go at a lower temperature for longer. With this recipe though – the higher temperature seems to work. I think you’re right on for this recipe. The banana bread recipe (which I used as a guide), is baked at 315 degrees F, and many other almond flour items bake better at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time to avoid burning and the middle-sinking syndrome.

8. Addie says:

I baked this bread last night, substituting liquid sucralose for honey. While the inside was very moist, the outside was harder and crustier than the one in your picture. I baked for 60 minutes and the inside was done at 50 minutes. I assume the lack of sugar is why mine didn’t brown as nicely, but I’m not sure.

The taste was mild, but very good. I ate several pieces smeared with a little cinnamon butter that I made.

Thanks so much for the recipe!

9. debby linder says:

ok, i have shredded coconut to make coconut milk, and flour, i also have some coconut flour, i have ground some cashews, and almonds (meal), i have chia seeds, not sure what to do with them, i have quoina seeds and flour…i have a whisper mill grain mill for beans and wheat and popcorn, i have a coffee grinder for the other things…
      i have the supplies, now i dont know where to start…i have some quesions
      do the nut flours taste like the nuts when used in baked goods? same with the coconut flour, will it have a coconut flavor to it?
      i had switched everything to whole wheat was making my own bread, so now gonna ventour out to new things…i have lost 100 pounds and want to keep it off.
      when baking can i combine some of the flours when i make like pumpkind bread or banana bread ect? or just use one flour at a time? i guess thats it for now…i am sure i will have more questions later on..
      thanks for any help, also have you used any of the chia seeds? or the quoina seeds or flour? i am wanting the fiber, and the protein with least amount of carbs is what i am looking for.
      thanks again
      debby

Debby: some nuts do impart their flavor in baked goods (hazelnuts), but it depends on the recipe. Sometimes you can taste the coconut in baked goods, but in my experience, not in the recipe posts on Comfy Belly. I do sometimes taste the fiber and I don’t like that too much. No to chia seeds, and a very limited yes to Quinoa flour.

• Debby,
        I have one main muffin recipe that is very basic and uses both almond and coconut flours. Because this is just a plain recipe, I can use different flavors to create different muffins, i.e. blueberry, cinnamon bun, etc. I use lemon juice and chia seeds (for the protein) in the mix and they are similar to lemon poppyseed muffins. I find that using both flours, and this is just my personal opinion, almost negates any overpowering flavor from either one. I have started using oat FIBER in my muffins, as it is really heart healthy and low carb. Another suggestion I have for you is to explore flax seed muffins! BTW, congrats on the weight loss!!

• Mercedescherie says:

Would you share your basic muffin recipe? I would love to have a base to start with that other ingredients could be added to…
          Thanks!!!

• Deb says:

Jennifer – would you mind sharing your basic muffin recipe with coconut and almond flour? I don’t care for the coconut flavor, but don’t like to cook with all nut flours. Thanks!

10. Karen Barlow says:

I’ll let you know how it works with the stevia!

11. Lisa says:

Re: nut allergies–since nuts aren’t allowed in most schools I make much of my son’s baking by grinding pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds. Although I can’t get a very fine grind in my food processor, I find the results are pretty similar to what I’d get with a nut flour–just a bit more texture. Good luck.

12. Julie says:

This cake recipe was awesome. I made a double batch and I have to control myself :>)

Thanks for a great recipe.

13. Michelle says:

With your help I have succeeded in cooking pumpking from scratch. No more cans, yeah!! This recipe was a huge hit, froze some to take out for Thanksgiving…

14. Susan says:

Love this recipe! I make pumpkin muffins, use half the honey called for + 3 drops of stevia liquid. Muffins bake in 30 minutes – perfect yumminess!

15. Mia's mama says:

I made this using your recipe and it was completely raw, mush like inside and burnt on the outside. Here’s what changes I made for those of you that may have the same problem. I use a regular oven at 350 and the changes I made to this recipe were 1/2 cup pumpkin, 1/2 cup raw sugar and 2 1/2 cups almond flour and it turned out perfect! Baked it for 50 min in a parchement paper lined loaf pan. This freezes well also:)

16. Sue Ann says:

You can also roast squashes w/o cutting them before roasting. If you wash the outside of the squash, place it in a oven-safe dish (I use my square pyrex) and place in the oven at 350 for around an hour to an hour and a half. Sometimes the bigger ones need it at 375, but most of the ones I can get from my grocery store do just fine on 350. It’s done when you can poke a fork easily through to the middle. Take it out, let it cool a little, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, then scoop the meat into a bowl. I like to put butter and salt and pepper in it, or I’ve also taken the juices from my pork roast and put that in too. It’s much easier this way on people that can’t cut through a raw squash.

17. Gail says:

Hi Erica,

Tonight I made this recipe again but this time into muffins and they turned out perfect. I never had any problem with mushiness or raw inside or burning on the outside. I had to let them cook a bit longer even like you said due to moisture in my puree, but in the end they still were a beautiful colo, and not one bit too dark. I changed the flour, but not the amount. I love my buckwheat, and so I thought what the heck so I used 1 cup of buckwheat, and 1 cup of Honeyville almond flour; 1/2 cup of maple syrup and this time where they were going in as muffins I used 1/2 cup of agave syrup but everything else was as per your recipe. I am going to make the bread again in the next couple of days for our family gatherings this Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks!

18. fanny says:

I just made the recipe!!! So good! But it didnt raised….
      I have difficulty to rise my cakes when I use almond flour, I know its heavier, but should I use more Baking soda or baking powder?
      I used organic sugar instead of honey for this one
      Thank you!

it’s a dense bread so I doubt it will rise much more but you could try adding some baking powder. I wouldn’t add any more baking soda.

19. Sarah says:

I just had to let you know. I have your book and tonight I took this pumpkin bread recipe and made it into 12 perfectly delicious muffins/cupcakes. I made it by the book but only had to bake it about 30 minutes. I used cupcake paper liners and it just came out perfectly! I love all of your recipes. You are my favorite SCD recipe guru, thank you so much for taking a difficult expensive diet and making it just a bit easier! (I have UC and SCD helps tremendously.) Thank you again for sharing.