Brownies {using coconut flour}

Comfy Belly: Everyday Brownie

{5 eggs + 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda + 2 tablespoons of coconut milk} = cake-like brownies

Recently, someone asked me for a recipe for brownies made with coconut flour, and I thought that was a great idea. Coconut flour bakers would surely agree that it is almost unthinkable to not have a basic, simple brownie recipe using just coconut flour. And this brownie is quite basic and easy to dress up.

Comfy Belly: Brownies

{5 eggs and no coconut milk or baking soda} = fudge-like brownie

One of my favorite “guides” for baking with coconut flour is a book by Bruce Fife, Cooking with Coconut Flour. While he uses processed sugar quite often, if you’re game, you can adjust his recipes with a couple of general guidelines I’ve suggested here. This recipe was inspired by his recipe for brownies.

Brownies squares

{4 eggs and no coconut milk or baking soda}

Comfy Belly: Everyday Brownie

{5 eggs + 2 tablespoons of coconut milk + 1/2 teaspoon baking soda = cake-like brownies}

Some dressing ideas include adding nuts to the batter (walnuts are excellent in brownies), chocolate chips, a bit of espresso powder or instant coffee, and once baked a scoop of vanilla ice cream with some caramel sauce.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  92 Comments

92 Responses to Brownies {using coconut flour}

1. The first brownie recipe I ever created was made with coconut flour….still my favorite today! I think it goes really well with brownies, because brownies are meant to be thick and fudgy :D

2. Christine says:

Yay! Thanks for this! I’ve been hoping for a coconut flour brownie recipe, too. I suspect this will become a lunchbox staple in September when my kids go back to school!

3. Hanna says:

This sounds amazing I’ll be makin it tomorrow!! Question though could I use half applesauce and half coconut oil instead of 1/3 cup oil?

4. Melissa says:

I just made these… absolutely delicious! I actually have to confess that I may have had one for dinner (I wish I was kidding). They came out so moist and not overly sweet. This is definitely my new go-to brownie recipe!

5. Dana says:

Any chance for SCD’ers that maybe could work with cocoa butter in place of butter and a little extra coconut flour in place of the cocoa powder? I’m not a master of coconut flour baking but if i could nail a variation of this is would change my life! :)

• Jocey says:

coco butter is not healthy to eat if you have more than 1 tsp in a batch like this. try coconut oil and apple sauce, and what about raw cacao powder? I don’t see why that should be an illegal food for SCDers if cocoa butter isn’t

6. Pingback: First ever Paleo BBQ- Heaven on Earth… « girlsgonehealthyblog

7. Lyza May says:

I just made these, they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

8. Demi says:

I just made these, texture was fine, but wasn’t sweet enough. Any tips?

9. Christina says:

I made these yesterday and they really satisfy my chocolate craving, while still eating something with substance. I used agave nectar to sweeten. I haven’t used coconut flour before, but a friend of mine made your cinnamon coconut flour muffins and I was hooked. I have a question though. Sometimes I have made coconut flour recipes and it comes out a little dry. I know you say it needs a lot of moisture and that is why there are so many eggs in these recipes. Is there anything you can add for more moisture besides eggs? Thanks.

• deb says:

Coconut flour abosrbs a lot of moisture. Thats why many recipes turnout dry. I always use less (almost half the regular flour called for) and add a smidgen of xanthan gum.

10. Lillian says:

I can’t wait to make these! I noticed it doesn’t call for milk or anything, do you think it would be moister if I add half n half or creamer? Also, does coconut flour “spoil”, I noticed my unopened bag has a past use/sell by date…what are your thoughts? Thanks!!

11. mary rowe says:

i used “sugar in the raw” because that’s what i had on hand. i will try coconut sugar in the near future. i did not use any maple syrup – so far i find it isn’t quite flavorful enough for a dessert item, but for breakfast stuff it’s great. also used the 6 eggs and the texture was perfect, the taste not eggy at all.

12. Pingback: Coconut flour brownies « Grassfed Mama

13. Pingback: Paleo School Lunches For Kids

14. M says:

These brownies came out moist, fudgy and delicious; an excellent recipe. I used agave syrup instead of maple syrup and baked only 20 mins. Thanks!!

15. Phil Tucker says:

My second batch is in the oven right now. Absolutely loved the first, and you’re right, they taste better on the second day. The only change I made was to stir in a blend of ground dark chocolate chunks and walnuts. Delicious!

16. Gladys says:

I must have done simething terribly wrong!
    The result was a non sweet, ultra dry brown cake. No real chocolate flavour… Dry as a piece of wood, no drier than wood! Could not be choked down! It went into the garbage, right away! I want to be low carb!
    But with taste, texture, flavour…and not to taste DIET at all!

Regards,
    Gladys

couple of possibilities: overbaked, changed ingredients, measurements off in some way. Try one of the muffin recipes first to see – maybe the fluffy chocolate muffins? Or the pancake recipe?

17. Maria says:

This was my first foray into baking with coconut flour… Yum Yum! I added some chopped hazelnuts and they really brought out the coconut texture of the flour… I did deviate slightly from the recipe in that i didn’t add any vanilla essence and used honey instead of maple syrup- as a result they weren’t as sweet as i was expecting. Not a bad thing though. Next time i shall follow the recipe off pat and see how it goes. Thanks.

18. Molly says:

So happy to see a recipe for brownies with coconut flour! Awesome. I didn’t have any eggs, so I substituted egg replacer for 2 of the eggs, and a banana for the other two.

They turned out….pretty awesome! Not as fluffy as they would have with actual eggs I suspect, but pretty darn good!

19. Kate says:

I just made theses and they are so dry. I followed the directions perfectly. I don’t know what went wrong.

20. Samantha says:

I used xylitol, same amount as the maple and added an extra egg to hopefully balance out the missing liquid and only baked for twenty minutes. They were pretty dry but I didn’t mind. I put them in the fridge because sometimes that helps with the dryness. Either way they will definitely get eaten! thanks for the simple recipe.

21. Pingback: Paleo Diet Does It Work

22. Amanda says:

Could I use this recipe to make the ice cream cake recipe you have on here?

23. Cecelia says:

I just made these and they came out so dry. It had the texture of sawdust! I don’t want to say it’s a bad recipe since everybody had so much success with it, so what went wrong? Does beating it for a couple minutes really make that big a difference? If so, I think I found my problem because I only beat it until everything looked fully incorporated.

couple of possibilities: limit the baking time, since they don’t burn as much as dry out. Brownies should be pulled from the oven while still moist. Also I use maple syrup or honey. Not sure if you’re using subs of any kind. This can be dry, in which case you can add some more coconut oil, or a bit of dairy-free milk to help. I’m going to test this again very soon to see how it’s doing for me. Hope that helps.

24. Shira says:

These didn’t come out well, unfortunately. They were very dry. I did make a lot of substitutions, though. I used coconut oil and sugar instead of honey. I also added one egg and a teaspoon of instant coffee granules. On top I sprinkled some chopped bittersweet chocolate, which was yummy. 25 minutes may also have been a little longer than they needed and I didn’t check them earlier.

25. Pingback: The Bigger Picture Journal <3eig<3 - Page 2 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 2

26. Francesca says:

This is an AWESOME recipe! I used coconut oil instead of butter and date syrup instead of maple syrup, baked for just over 25 minutes (took them out at 20 but they weren’t quite done, so they went back in), and they came out fudgy and delicious. Next time I might use a little more of the date syrup as they weren’t very sweet, but still yummy. Thanks!

27. Christine says:

What brand of unsweetened cocoa powder do you use? I recently had a “glutened ” reaction to Hershey’s brand.

28. Anna says:

Hi there! I just made these and they rocked! I have a question that maybe someone could answer though – I used the agave syrup, but really I’m not supposed to have sugar at all either. (UGH). So, I want to substitute stevia for the sweetness. My concern is not re: amount of sweetness -I can play with that, but more the consistency change from not using the 3/4 cup of liquid (like maple/agave syrup). These brownies definitely benefitted from the liquids, as I think they’d be dry otherwise.

Anyone have suggestions as to how to make this work? What -could I add either more of or instead of the 3/4 liquid sweetener to keep moist? Wouldnt need to sweeten…

Thanks for any suggestions. I’m not a seasoned baker by any stretch!

Anna

I would love to test this if you’re up for it. I’d suggest replacing 1/2 cup of the liquid sweetener (agave/maple syrup) with dairy-free milk plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of powdered Stevia.

• Anna says:

I wil test out next weekend or so. (Since I just made brownies… I feel like i should wait at least a week before making more :) I’ll try it with almond milk since that’s usually what I have on hand. I’ll let you know how they turn out! Thanks for the starting point!

29. Heather Hardin says:

So, they were good, but does everything made with coconut flour have that coconut consistency and taste? Not my fav….

wow, you’re timing is either good or you just missed my changes to make it more cake-like. Did you try it with the addition of coconut milk? I just added it an hour ago. Regarding the consistency, it does have a bit of a fibrous texture which can be detected sometimes, but it’s quite subtle if the recipe works well.

30. jo so says:

VERY good!!!

31. Rita says:

I tweaked the recipe a bit but still an awesome outcome!!!
    First time I used coconut flour … followed your recipe, except for the 5 eggs … I used only 3 eggs and substituted the rest with 1/2 avocado-mashed … also, I used olive oil and almond milk instead, in the same proportion and added dark chocolate chips in the mix … thanks for sharing your recipe :)

32. Pingback: Coconut Flour Cinnamon Brownies » More Chocolate

33. Alina says:

Just made these today and they turned out great: very light and fluffy, yet moist. I used coconut oil and made sure all the ingredients were room temperature (since coconut oil solidifies in cool temperatures). I also let the batter sit for good 15 minutes. I noticed that when baking with coconut flour, the trick is to let the batter rest for a little bit, then flour absorbs the liquid and final product turns out moist. Thank you for this recipe! It’s definitely a keeper.

34. Sasha says:

I just made these brownies and followed the recipe and they are light fluffy and delicious. I baked them on fanforced 160c for 20 minutes. Thank you for this recipe.

35. Denise says:

I just made these – yum! I made the fudgy kind. They were not fudgy, more cake loke, but still super good. Thanks for sharing!

36. Andrea says:

I have my first batch of these in the oven now! I only had blueberry syrup on hand so I used that, and the I added some dried blueberries and cacao nibs that I got in our CSA last week! Can’t wait to taste!

37. Belinda says:

YUM !! Thanks for such a great brownie recipe using coconut flour. Went for the fudgey version and used butter and honey. Also let the batter sit for 10 mins before baking – does make such a difference to the final outcome. Had to give most of it away today as I could not stop eating. Definitely a keeper recipe :)
    And thanks Andrea, think I will be adding dried blueberries (or maybe dried sour cherries) and cacao nibs to the next batch !!

38. April says:

I just made these, they came out really well and I used honey. I added a tbsp or so of extra honey at the end, I used a 9×9 pan and had to bake an extra 10 and they still came out perfectly fluffy and not dry. I do however have a problem with the taste, to me they are not sweet enough, and I have a problem stomaching the texture of the coconut flour, is there anything I can do about the texture? I love cooking/baking with it, and most of the time force myself to somewhat ignore the texture, but this is one of those things hard to ignore and I love brownies.

• April says:

To piggy back on this post I posted earlier, when I tried them earlier they were straight from the oven, letting them cool completely they taste amazing, still not a fan of the coconut flour texture, and could pry use a little more sweetener, but stil AMAZING! Thank you for all of your recipes!

39. Kristin says:

I just popped my batch in the oven and completely over looked he baking soda because you do not include it in your method. Holding thumbs :/

40. Lindsay says:

Made these tonight as a double batch for a 9 x 13.
    #1 make sure your coconut flour is not lumpy before mixing.
    #2 I used natural applesauce instead of butter, as another poster suggested.
    All in all- these brownies are absolutely DELICIOUS. I highly recommend as a great, low-carb dark chocolate brownie. As with almost all coconut flower goods, they will be better with a day or two of age on them!
    THANKS for this great recipe!

41. Pingback: Coconut flour brownies

42. Kaela says:

Just made these with everything but the baking soda. Had to bake 5 mins longer but they turned out great!! They’re not heavy and they’re perfectly sweet. I’m really enjoying coconut flour baking. I’ve tried your coconut flour banana bread and the cinnamon bun muffins and I must say, you’re a coconut flour bakin genius! I made three batches of banana bread in one weekend and made a few modifications : I took about three vanilla stevia packets and put those in place of the extract and maple syrup, and I put in a few pure chocolate chips. SOOOOO GOOD. 6 kids enjoyed them with me :) thank you!! Please please post more coconut flour recipes. Can you try one with a doughnut maker from the superstore? Thanks!

Good to hear all worked well for you! Love the changes you made to the banana bread too. I do have some coconut flour donuts on the website, but my next cookbook will have what you’re looking for! Coming in June – I’ll be announcing it soon. Best, Erica

43. Seanna says:

Made these last night, best brownies I’ve ever had! Thanks for the recipe :)

44. Pingback: Valentine’s Treats for All! | GoToddle

45. Linda says:

Lovely. They tasted even better the next day.

46. Pingback: The Art of Losing | Standing on the edge

47. Jennifer says:

I made the original version this weekend and they are so good. I’ve been enjoying one in the mornings with my coffee. I am excited to try the revised version as well. Thank you for the coconut flour recipes – I prefer to use it over nut flours largely because of the calorie save.