Fudge Brownies {using coconut flour}

Fudge Brownies - Comfy Belly

I’m very excited to share this fudge brownie recipe using coconut flour in celebration of my second cookbook being completed and due out this June! {By the way, this recipe is not in the book. Since I had three brownie recipes in it already, I figured that was more than enough for one book!} Healthy Coconut Flour Cookbook - Comfy Belly

It’s available now!

You can pre-order it here: The Healthy Coconut Flour Cookbook: More than 100 *Grain-Free *Gluten-Free *Paleo-Friendly Recipes for Every Occasion I’ll have more things to share as we get closer to book launch, but for now here’s a few things about the book:

• over 100 gluten-free recipes using coconut flour
  • most are grain-free
  • many use just coconut flour
  • many recipes are dairy-free, low-sugar and nut-free
  • many recipes offer dairy-free, low-sugar and nut-free substitutions
  • some use coconut flour in combination with other flours
  • it’s full of great tips on baking with coconut flour and natural sweeteners
  • recipe measurements are in both Imperial and Metric (yes, weights and cups!)

You may be familiar with these brownies, which are more cake-like and still a favorite of mine and many others. But sometimes you just want something with a bit more to it so here’s a fudge brownie recipe that is getting rave reviews from recipe testers. Enjoy! Note: This recipe is not in the coconut flour book, just on this site. Fudge Brownies - Comfy Belly

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  74 Comments

74 Responses to Fudge Brownies {using coconut flour}

1. Loretta says:

These look incredible! I was out of the habit of making brownies for the past few years, but then finally made one the other week. Reminded me how much I love them! Plus, they are one dessert that’s good plain or jazzed up with lots of other stuff :)

2. Lisa says:

I just love your recipes! Here it is evening time and I just popped these brownies into the oven to bake so hubby can enjoy one after his late, late dinner. I love using coconut flour but the *eight* eggs I would have needed (I doubled the recipe, we have a lot of brownie lovers living here!)was too much to part with. I can’t have chickens where I live and fresh organic farm eggs are still a bit pricey. I compromised and used 4 eggs plus 1 Tbsp ground psyllium and a small splash of water. Everything else was as the recipe stated. Keeping my *fingers crossed* they smell divine!

Thanks, Lisa. Yes, coconut flour does often require more eggs than normal. Thanks for sharing your egg sub, hope it was a success. I’ve found you can sub up to 2 eggs before things get weird—I’ve done it with flaxseed meal with success.

3. Lisa says:

The egg/psyllium worked perfectly and this recipe is a keeper for sure. Thank you!! :-)

4. These look amazing! In my gluten free quest I am growing to love coconut flour – so easy on the tummy.

5. Eugene says:

Hi, i’m on a low carb diet…what can i substitute for the honey/syrup? i’m guessing i cant use my sugarfree da vinci syrups right?

Yes, you can use a sugar-free syrup, I haven’t tested it though.

• Renee says:

These are delicious. I have tried many recipes in the past for my picky, very limited diet, daughter and all were rejected. These were so much of a home run, she asked for more! We are watching our intake of Oxalates so these are perfect. I am also trying to reduce the honey intake, so I substituted with a one to one ratio of Xylitol and 3 tbs of coconut milk. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I can’t wait for the cookbook to come out in June!!!!

6. Renee says:

This brownie has the best chocolate taste! We have a lot of kids in the house, so I tried to stretch the recipe and made semi-bite sized cookies. The batter smoothened out and the cookies were cake-like and oh so chocolatey. The problem is, nobody can get their hands off them!

Thank you so much for all your recipes! Your banana bread is also a regular hit at our house.

7. Ash says:

These are great brownies. So far I have added 2 teaspoons of coffee grounds and 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts. The first time I made these they took about 35 min to cook. This is the second time and now and I just checked on them at 25 min and the middle is completely raw. Other than the additions made above I have followed the recipe exactly. How moist should these brownies be when the come out and do you usually have to cook them for so long? I really love the taste but I want to make sure I get the recipe right. Thanks!

The coffee grounds should make it drier. Not sure why it’s too moist at that time, but it can be somewhat moist and will absorb more moisture while sitting out for a few hours or overnight.

8. Sheran says:

Made a batch of these last night – such an easy bake! And so tasty!! Thank you very much for the recipe, they didn’t last long! :)

9. Larissa says:

I want to make these tonight…pretty excited actually…just a question are they definitely a fudgy brownie consistancy…my family is completely picky about brownies and will not touch a cake like brownie…I plan on adding some mini dark chocolate chips to add to the gooey factor

10. Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. I am a huge fan of this site and your SCD cookbook. I have a batch of these brownies in the oven now but I had questions about the measurements while I was preparing the batter. You list 1/4 cup or 26 grams coconut flour but according to my food scale, 1/4 cup loosely packed coconut flour weighs much more than 26 grams. Given this difference, I wasn’t which measure to go with in the recipe. Am I doing something wrong when it comes to measuring?

I re-checked and still get 26 g of loosely-packed coconut flour as the correct measurement. I use Honeyville’s coconut flour but they should all be about the same, not varying too much.

• Jennifer says:

Ahh yes, I have discovered that my idea of “loosely packed” was not quite so loose, after all. Despite using more coconut flour and cocoa powder than your recipe called for, these still came out delicious! They are not exactly fudge-like but still wonderful. I’ll be baking these again today. What a treat! Thank you.

11. jewelhc says:

I was wondering what the nutriontal value of these brownies would be.

12. Sandra says:

These are truly delicious and so easy to make. Just about to start on another double batch.

13. Heather says:

Congrats on your new cookbook! Sounds amazing! I am so excited for it’s release in June! Brownies are a weakness in my house so I’m excited to try these delicious fudgy brownies.

14. Pingback: Low Carb, Gluten Free Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies | what the mehek.

15. Vicki says:

My daughter made these brownies for me for Mother’s Day… Best present EVER!!! She added walnuts but otherwise followed recipe exactly. They were amazing and reminded me of what truffles taste like. What a great gf/df recipe you have created!!! Thank you!

16. Maria says:

I don’t have any parchment paper. Can I spray the pan instead? I can’t wait to try these…this will be my first recipe using coconut flour :)

17. Maria says:

It is a coated pan. I’ll go buy some parchment paper to make sure they come out okay. I don’t want to ruin my first recipe…haha :)

18. Cindy says:

Ok:) These are like the most amazing brownies. Thank you for sharing. I am buying the book.

19. Pingback: Paleo Brownie – made with coconut flour

20. dayna says:

Thanks! I made these tonight. I subbed powdered cacao for the cocoa and added chopped mac nuts. These were really good. I’m going to be making my own coconut flour and can’t wait to try this recipe with home made coconut flour rather than store bought, then it’ll be 100% home grown brownies!

21. Melissa says:

I added 4 tablespoons of hemp protein to this and a few teaspoons of ground flaxseed. It turned out yummy.

22. Raia says:

These just came out of the oven, and I’m having a super hard time waiting for them to be “completely cool.” 😉 I might have to cheat….

23. Martha Abadie says:

These are fabulous!! I went totally by the recipe, except I cut the honey to 1/3 cup. They’re not sweet at all, but I like them that way (I know it’s weird). Thanks for putting this recipe out there!

24. Katherine says:

These brownies look amazing, but the two members of my family I am making these for cannot have egg. Could I use an egg substitute or would it mess the recipe up?
    Thanks for the recipe!

25. Jill says:

What are your thoughts on adding peanut butter to these?

26. Pingback: My Favorite Brownie Recipe | SIBO Lifestyle

27. Mary Jayne says:

This was my first venture into baking with coconut flour and I loved this recipe. So moist and fudgy… Heaven.

28. Claire says:

I’ve made several recipes from your website and I have to say that this is my absolute all-time favorite paleo dessert ever. Ever, ever. I used dark chocolate cocoa powder in these brownies and some grapes oil (need to get more coconut oil)…incredible! Everyone at work is in love with them. THANK YOU.

29. Alex says:

Hey I just made these brownies and they are really good! They did come out slightly dry though. Also, I substituted organic sugar instead of maple syrup/honey. You think that is why? Or maybe I kept them in for too long. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

30. Pingback: Gluten-free Raspberry Brownie Recipe | RealFoodMonster.com — RealFoodMonster.com

31. Suzanne says:

What size pan did you use it doesn’t say.

32. Claudia says:

Hi thanks for this recipe. I just discovered coconut flour and can’t wait to try all kinds of things.
    Brownies are in my oven right now. I am on a low carb diet and desperatly need something sweet :-)
    But i have one question: How long will they last in the fridge or can i put them in the freezer?

I won’t be eating one everyday so it’s supposed to last some time.

Greetings from Germany :-)

33. Yerilin says:

I love this recipe, so easy to make and so delicious!

34. Amanda says:

Just made these and they turned out great!!!
    I substituted 1 cup of homemade date paste (about 1 1/2 cups of pitted dates and 1 cup water pureed in the food processor) for the honey and used vanilla powder in place of vanilla.

35. Sarah says:

A beautiful recipe. Insanely chocolatey…so much so that I wouldn’t recommend eating these before bed 😉
    Would have loved if they were a little more fudgey and moist, but otherwise a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing.

36. Emily says:

Hi. Your nutrition information is not correct at all. 3/4 cup of honey or maple syrup: That equals at least 11g of sugar per serving not 8 (based on 12 brownies like you state). That also means your carb count has to be pretty off because just the honey alone comes out to more than 13g of carbs and that’s not counting all the other ingredients. I just wanted to point this out because I know that many people make special types of recipes specifically for health reasons (low carb, low sugar). Thanks! Hopefully you can update it soon.

all nutrition info is from https://www.edamam.com and they claim it’s correct. I’m not a nutritionist, and I have no way of confirming but they claim it’s correct and the NYTimes uses them as well. Not sure what other source to use. Let me know if you have a better source or you can point out specifically what is wrong.

37. Holli says:

I am going to try these with 1/2 cup of sugar free honey, can’t wait but my family is not so much into honey and I am trying recipes for them with coconut flour and almond flour but still using sugar. They are not used to honey, do you think I could use 1/2 honey and 1/2 brown sugar or white sugar? My question is how can I use brown or granulated sugar instead of honey and still get the good results that will make them want more?

38. Holli says:

The sugar free hone in the brownies really made my stomach hurt. I used 1/2 cup and ate about 1/4 of the pan. But they tasted so good until morning. The SF honey has malitol, and my SF syrup has sorbitol so I might try the syrup instead, hope it works without stomached pain.

39. Holli says:

Update, good news! After trying the sugar free honey and it’s ill effect I then tried the recipe again with a sugar free syrup and I had no bad after effects. They were very good too, very filling. The 1/2 cup of SF syrup had mainly sorbitol in it and worked better for me instead of the malitol in the SF honey.

40. Pingback: Ce-celiac you’re breaking my heart – The Sunday Bake | Griddle and Great

41. Jen says:

Tried them just as specified with butter and real maple syrup! They were delicious!!!! Thank you for posting.

42. leah says:

These brownies hit the spot! Been craving something like this for days. I used half honey and half maple syrup, but only 100 grams instead of the 159 grams called for. Added about an eighth a cup of water to make up for liquid decrease when I decreased the sweetener. I also added 3 tablespoons of hemp seed hearts (like someone else did) to increase the protein a little more. Only cooked it for 20 minutes. Tossed dome dark chocolate chips on top as soon as I took them out of the oven and spread the melted chocolate around for a thin “icing.” So chocolatey, gooey and yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

43. Ilana says:

Thanks for this! I’ve been looking for a gluten- or wheat-free dessert recipe which only has coconut flour, and not all those other complicated flour and enhancer blends. I appreciated how the amount of sugar was just right. I often use 2/3 of the amount of sugar that is called for in brownies, and many cakes too. But I did find these to be a bit dry for my taste. This is often a problem I find with coconut flour. But anyway, thank you, while I may not use it again for serving company, I will keep the recipe for my own cravings..

These should not be dry. If they are dry for you, you can add some milk, water, or something else. They are dry if you’re using sugar because honey or maple syrup add moisture to the batter.

44. Pam says:

I LOVE your coconut flour cookbook – so much so that I bought three more for gifts. Every recipe works and tastes great. Thank you so much for all the thought and creativity that goes into your recipes!