Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie (grain-free, gluten-free)

There are a couple of things I like about this recipe: it can be dairy-free and still taste just the way I expect it to, it can put up with any kind of squash I have on hand, and it uses so many lovely and exotic spices, that also happen to be really fragrant (thereby spreading the most wonderful aroma through the house).

Pumpkin Pie (grain-free, gluten-free)

Updated on 11/21/2012:I completely re-tested and re-wrote this recipe. This is now working well for me, and I hope it does for you too.

This pie filling also tastes good without a crust – it’s kind of like a custard pumpkin quiche when baked without the crust. Or, some other pie crusts you may want to try are the cookie crust pie and the apple pie crust.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  24 Comments

24 Responses to Pumpkin Pie

1. Tracee says:

I love the new “do” (site look). I have had a few requests from family for a pumpkin pie this year. I’ll have to give this a try. Does a sugar pumpkin taste sweeter than a regular one?

Tracee, I’m not quite sure. I’ve only baked sugar pie pumpkins, but I assume they taste better than a regular pumpkin. What I have found is some other types of squash are actually sweeter than sugar pie pumpkin. For example, a type of squash called Sweet Meat, is the sweetest I’ve tasted so far. It has a greenish-gray skin.

3. bobbie says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I tried it today, with huge success. My husband loved it, our six year old son even liked it, and he is NOT a fan of pumpkin. I wasn’t able to get a sugar pumpkin, so resorted to raiding the fall decorations off of the porch. I think the biggest difference is water content and stringy. So, I drained it really well and pureed out it to near death in the food processor. And, after the honey, you couldn’t tell that it’s not one of the sweeter squashes. Thanks again.

Bobbie, so funny – process to death. I like that saying (I’ll be using that technique in future posts :)
    Glad it worked out. Happy Holidays!

5. Danielle says:

Thank you so much for your blog! I’m an avid cook and just started the SCD diet 2 months ago. The recipes in the book weren’t cutting it so I’ve been experimenting myself a bit. Question about the pumpkin pie- the BTVC book says no canned products. Do you use canned coconut milk or make your own?
    Thanks!!

Danielle – we meet again :)
    So the story with us, at the moment, is that I avoid using canned coconut milk because of the gum additives. Too bad because it makes great ice cream (I used it all summer). Fresh is best of course, but hard and time consuming to make. You can re-constitute it from some products – Tropical Traditions has a product – coconut cream, or some stores carry solidified coconut cream that you can add water to. Or, just don’t use the milk – the pie tastes great even without the milk. Almond milk is another good alternative.

7. Alan says:

I know this is late, but just to let you know, a regular pumpkin, the kind most stores sell around Halloween for carving, aren’t very good for eating at all. They’re stringy, watery and lack flavor. If you’re cooking with pumpkin, stick with the sugar type. I found out from nasty, watery, disappointing experience. :)

8. jody says:

am allergic to nuts, coconut and am looking for nut and coconut free recipes

9. Heidi says:

How do you keep the crust from burning?

This is actually being discussed in the Cinnamon Cookie Pie Crust post. Some ideas include covering the crust with foil, cutting the burnt crust, placing exposed crust on the pie about 15 minutes before the custard is done. I think ideally it would be good to cook the custard ahead of time, or at a lower temperature.

• Heidi says:

Thank you Erica for writing back. I read the thread on the other pie crust recipe and I got to thinking. My sister-in-law bakes her pumpkin pie custard on stove top. I went searching online and found a few recipes. http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Granny-Mill's-Stovetop-Pumpkin-Pie/33009/

I bet you could also cook your spice squash recipe on stove top and then bake the crust separately. Poor the custard in the pie crust shells and let set in the refrigerator. I am going to try this next time and let you know about it.

10. Cassie says:

Pumpkin pie isn’t really something we make in Australia, but I thought I would try this for Halloween – it was delicious!! My only problem is that the crust didn’t really go hard, and I couldn’t seem to get the filling to firm up much either despite cooking it for about 1/2 an hour longer. Either way, topped with some SCD 24 hour cream it was amazing (although I must admit that I used speculaas spices with some added cinnamon in place of the ones on the list as I got home and realised that I didn’t have some of the ingredients). Thank you for the amazing recipe!!

11. sl says:

I want to try this. It sounds so yummy! I want to make the cinnaon pie crust. Would i freezer the crust for 30 minutes then fill and bake pie? Bake for 60 minutes at 300 degrees? Thanks for your help.

12. Jenni says:

Hi! I would love to try this tomorrow for a potluck dinner… can this be made crustless? I dont have ingredients for the crust!
    Thanks

13. Meg Higgins says:

Hi! I’m testing this out for Thanksgiving dinner this week. For some reason my filling isn’t firming up, despite cooking it for one hour longer than suggested. Anyone else having this problem? I might try it again tomorrow, adding a little coconut flour to absorb some of the moisture and also might use less honey. The batch that is currently cooking is sweeter than I need it to be. I’m curious how others have fared with this filling, and I’m scratching my head to figure out why it’s failing. Only three more days until Thanksgiving! Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Hi Meg. I was going to make this tonight actually, but for now, it could be that there’s too much moisture, which I recall happened to me sometimes. I ended up baking it longer, but another option may be to leave out the coconut milk. Once I make this, I’ll come back to your comment.

Hi Meg. So I’m going to make this one more time today to confirm this, but I think it needs one more egg, and you can reduce the honey to about 1/2 cup (or maybe less, depending on the sweetness of the pumpkin/squash that you use).

14. amanda says:

For the crust is it 1/4 cup of softened or melted coconut oil?

15. amanda says:

This was my first pumpkin pie I have ever made, it came out great!

16. Gayla Nelson says:

Was wondering if these recipes are in your cookbook?