Cranberry Upside Down Cake

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

Happy Valentines Day, almost. And happy birthday to M! If you like cranberries, you’ll appreciate this cake. It is very similar to the Upside Down Apple Cake, with the added tartness of the cranberries.

It’s more of a light occasion cake, so if you’re looking for a sweeter Valentines treat, try some of these.

Posted in Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  24 Comments

24 Responses to Cranberry Upside Down Cake

1. Babette says:

I just took the cake out of the oven.I substituted cherries for the cranberries, though. A lovely Valentine’s weekend treat.
    Thanks for all your delicious recipes!

Babette, lovely! I was thinking of try peaches or plums next. This cake is so versatile. Thanks for sharing!

3. Tracee says:

This is a beautiful cake!

4. That’s a really nice shot and the cake looks delicious!

5. I’ve been wanting to make this for so long. I better run out for some cranberries before the season is over.

6. Callie says:

This looks so good! LOVE that it’s gluten free and I can make it with any kind of fruit!

7. Jenny says:

My boyfriend can’t have sugar or any sugar-kind ingredients…can you substitute the yogurt for anything?

Yes, I believe at least one person has substituted coconut oil and non-dairy yogurt. See here in the comments: http://www.comfybelly.com/2008/12/upside-down-apple-cake.html

9. Jenny says:

I substituted the yogurt for a half cup of sugar free apple sauce and it tasted GREAT!!! We LOVED the cake and it went really well with cherry soy ice cream from Trader Joe’s!

Jenny, that’s great to know. Thanks!

11. Janet says:

I tried the recipie and it over-flowed and did not cook through. I did not use any substitutions. Any suggestion to what may have happened? It looks delicious and everyones comments made me excited to try it!

Janet, strange. I wonder if you added to much baking soda by accident? If it doesn’t bake all the way through, you probably need to lower the heat and leave it in longer (assuming it’s baked on the outside). In general, it does sink a bit in the middle, but it should bake well. Remove as much liquid as possible as well (from the cranberry mixture to avoid it staying wet in the middle.

13. Janet says:

Thanks Erica, Makes sense!

14. Katie says:

We loved this recipe but wondered why mine turned out more “wet”. It was not really cake like – perhaps from the amount of butter or honey? Also, I used homemade yogurt. Thank you so much for the recipes – they are healthy and hopefully assisting with my Crohns!

Katie – you might need to drain more of the cranberry juice before placing it in the bottom of the baking pan. Or possibly bake it longer. It is a bit unbaked for me sometimes in the very middle – it means I needed to let it bake a bit longer.

16. Cari says:

I had trouble getting the cake to bake completely too! Very soggy and wet in the middle after cooking for an hour. I used an 8 1/2 inch pan which should have been just fine. The cake was cooked around the edges and was over the top! I simply adored it but alas, I had to waste almost all of it. I have actually had this issue with almond flour on several other occasions, wonder if it has something to do with the density of the grain. I will try it again because it was simply wonderful.

I know – you can tell from my picture the cake sinks a bit for me too. I added some tips to the post to help out, but the two things I have found to be effective for this problem is to reduce the amount of moisture (dripped yogurt, less of it, less butter), plus bake it longer. Also, use a pan with a wide diameter (at least 9 inches). Hope that helps.

17. Kari says:

Made this tonight after bookmarking it a while back. I had the cranberries cooking when I realized I was out of yogurt – so because I wanted to make it NOW I tried sour cream, and it worked great! I found you looking for low carb recipes. I would rather use raw honey than a sugar substitute anyway. This cake was delicious – even the kids loved it – we will be making it again! Next I can’t wait to try the crackers. :)

18. Joan says:

For your readers who want to avoid honey: I subbed Truvia sweetener for the honey in both the cranberries and the batter portions. I used the same proportions, 2 tablesppons for the berries, and 1/3 cup for the batter. I added 1 2/3 tablepoons water to make up for the liquid loss. I also used sour cream for the yogurt to avoid the carbs in the yogurt. The cake was perfect, and delicious! It baked beautifully, and was cooked nicely all the way through. No problems with sinking in the middle. Thanks for such a great recipe!

19. Linda says:

If you were to use coconut and almond flour, what ratio would you use? Would you need to add more eggs? Also, if substituting with rapadura instead of honey, would you need to add in some liquid? If so, how/how much? Thanks for sharing all of your great recipes. Yours is my favorite blog!

Linda, so sorry. Just came upon this message :(. sorry I don’t know the answer to your sub questions, but you can use my “Baking with coconut flour” post as a guide. Eventually I’ll get around to doing this with coconut flour and almond flour. Best wishes, Erica