Strawberries are starting to appear (organic ones too) in the markets in and around Seattle, which is a sure sign of spring for me. Being a berry fiend, I have already started to think beyond strawberry slushies and smoothies.
Here is an oldie and goodie for me, with a twist I’ve never tried before. I whipped up some crème frâiche (heavy cream-based yogurt) for this concoction, with surprisingly good results. It has a bit of that sour taste that yogurt imparts, however it balances well with the sweetness of the cupcakes and is rounded out by the tartness of the strawberry. And the cream shines through.
This treat is good any time of day or night. I had it for lunch. Yum.
Tip f you’re looking to go low-fat, you can eliminate the butter and replace the yogurt with applesauce.
Updated on 2/18/13: corrected butter measurement
- 1/2 cup of honey plus about 2 tablespoons for the whipped cream (or other sweetener)
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (I used half & half yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla plus 1/4 teaspoon for the whipped cream
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of almond flour
- about 1 cup of crème frâiche
- 1 pint of strawberries (or more)
- Preheat oven to 310 degrees F.
- In a bowl, blend yogurt, eggs, honey, and vanilla together. Next, add 3 tablespoons of melted butter and blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and pinch of salt) to the wet mixture, and blend the cupcake batter well.
- Prepare a cupcake/muffin tin with cupcake liners. Pour the batter about 3/4 of the way full into each cupcake liner. This batter makes about 10 cupcakes.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the center is not wiggly.
It may sink a bit in the center, but no worries. The top will be starting to brown and a toothpick will come out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking and cooling, combine the crème
frâiche, honey, and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla (optional) in a bowl and whip until it is lighter and fluffier. It will be a bit heavier than regular whipped heavy cream.
- Slice up some strawberries.
- Take a cupcake out of the liner, turn it upside down, and slice it in the middle. Add some cream and sliced strawberries. Put some more cream on top of the strawberries, and place the rest of the cupcake on top.
- Top off with some more cream and berries, and enjoy!