Roasted String Beans

Roasted Sesame Green Beans

There are many ways to eat green beans – raw, steamed, boiled, blanched – but my favorite, which I’ve found really brings out the flavor of string beans, is to roast them. I can easily eat a plate of roasted string beans with nothing more than some olive oil and salt on them, but there’s more you can add if you’re feeling adventurous.

Green beans roasted in olive oil and salt make a great finger food snack or appetizer, and don’t last very long around here. These may look overdone, but they’re packed with green been flavor, almost caramelized, with a slight crunch on the browned parts of the beans.

To take this recipe to the next level, try making roasted sesame green beans, which follows the initial recipe. These are even more addictive for me – a blend of Asian and Fusion flavor (as described by a more sophisticated eater in our house).

Tip Sometimes I make these in my toaster oven, which leaves the oven free for other stuff.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Low-Sugar, Nut-Free, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  18 Comments

18 Responses to Roasted String Beans

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Roasted String Beans | Comfy Belly -- Topsy.com

2. Genie says:

I’ve never roasted green beans either. Looks like a fantastic chip alternative.

3. Vegolicious says:

I’ve never thought of roasting green beans, but they look fantastic.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian dishes and recipes on the web.

4. I am already in love with these: they look totally addictive. I am also on a constant quest to discover healthy yet snacky foods. Thank you for the idea. Off to discover your blog.

5. These look so satisfying! I roast almost all my vegetables very similar to this way (broccoli, squash, zucchini, bell peppers), but I have never thought to try green beans. I will make these this week; thank you!!

6. Love this little snack. Great idea.

7. Tracee says:

Lovely recipe! Thanks for adding this link!

8. I make the roasted green beans very often…quite addicted actually. I can’t wait to try the sesame one. I love sesame seeds, these will be great thanks!

thanks for all the great comments! I love sesame seeds too. They taste so great toasted with the honey.

10. Alvie says:

I tried this recipe tonight and my picky kids who NEVER eat veggies ate them. It was the first thing my daughter went for and the only thing she ate. Even my son, who is the worst, ate them. They were really good!!!!

11. Genie De Wit says:

I’d just like to report that I made these and even my husband found them morish. Epic win!

12. Sarah says:

I made these two nights ago and really liked them. The sesame-honey version. I liked how the beans got all wrinkly and the sweetness was nice. This is a great way to eat green beans, if you ask me. Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Laura says:

My mom has made these since I can remember, I was surprised that many people haven’t tried it! They are the best way to eat green beans, we use seasoned salt on them and it gives them a savory side. It seems so simple but makes a big difference…
    Thanks for posting this option of the sesame!

14. Pingback: Mini Quiche, Granola, and Cake Balls (Eats and Beats, March 12-18) | Eating the Beats

15. Thomas diggs says:

looking 4ward to trying roasted green beans. Boiling takes too long.