Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins {using almond flour}

Lemon poppy seed muffins in tin

Here’s my version of a lemon poppy seed muffin using almond flour, and it’s gluten-free, of course. We’ve been eating the poppy seed muffins made with coconut flour non-stop for two weeks, but I have had questions about making a version with almond flour, and I know some of you are following SCD, or are just not compatible with coconut flour.

Lemon poppy seed muffin closeup

The main difference I’ve found between the coconut flour version and this one (besides the ratio of ingredients) is that the muffin top on these is more like a traditional AP (all-purpose) flour muffin – it has a sweet, slightly firm, chewy top, while still being soft and sweet on the inside.

Lemon poppy seed muffin closeup

In any case, I love them both! We’re laying low on the almonds right now, because it has showed up as a mild immune instigator in my son’s food testing. We’re pretty sure this is quite temporary, but we’re not taking any chances right now. For those who can’t tolerate coconut flour, this is a great alternative, and better than the AP flour version, in my humble opinion (IMHO).

Note Like my other almond flour baked goods with whipped eggs in them, the center of the muffin may sink a bit. You can try to avoid this by not whipping the egg whites, but the muffin may be a bit denser as a result. Whipping the egg whites add “lift” to the muffin (adds pockets of air), giving it a lighter texture.

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  12 Comments

12 Responses to Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins {using almond flour}

1. Margaret says:

Can these be made without eggs?

2. Amy Floyd says:

Just made these for breakfast for myself and my picky kids :-) I didn’t have lemon zest, so I added a splash of lemon extract. I also didn’t have poppyseeds. I used a mixture of almond flour and pecan flour (or more like pecan meal, since it wasn’t as fine), because that is what I had available. These are very tasty! Will certainly make them again — thanks!

3. YUM! These sound so refreshing. I have yet to try baking with whipped egg whites, I can’t wait to try these!

4. Yum, what a great idea to make LPS muffins! I just mastered making the loaf with almond flour (GF, SF, GRF). Will be trying these. Hubby’s favorite!

5. Pamela says:

I made these last weekend and they were great. I cut down on the sugar by using far less honey and sweetened with a bit of stevia. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for the great recipe!

6. Lizz says:

Far fetched question – but do you happen to know (or rough estimate) of the calorie content on these babies? Sound delish!

7. Pingback: Menu Plan - 7/23 | Wholesome Womanhood

8. Jo says:

Could your muffin tops be sinking because you’re filling the cases too full? Whipped egg whites could cause the muffins to rise more than normal, meaning they reach the top faster and run out of surface to “climb” – and sink.

Let me know if I’m barking up the wrong tree. These look awesome – I’ll try decreasing the fill when I make a batch and update this.

9. Pingback: Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (wheat-free)|Have Your Cake and Eat It TooHave Your Cake and Eat It Too

10. Jill M says:

These were fantastic! I love the lemon flavor and so I added more zest and juice.

11. Pingback: Almond Pumpkin Spice Muffins « The Chronicles of a Teenage Foodie