Here’s a little treat I’ve recently added to my day, since it has been highly compressed lately (the day, not the treat). I pop one or more of these (ok, at least three of the mini muffins) in my mouth as a quick sweet snack and wash it down with an Odwalla Tropical Energy smoothie, or a tall glass of water and some Valencia orange slices.
Nothing too elaborate or extra-ordinary here. These just happen to be gluten-free and sugar-free (except for the chocolate chips). They fill me up, give me a quick hit of chocolate, and send me on my merry way.
If you’re concerned about all that butter, I inadvertently made a batch of these without the butter (or any oil for that matter), and they tasted good. So you could actually reduce the amount and still have a tasty muffin.
A word about the mini muffins: They looked cuter than they actually were. They tasted fine, but the big ones are way more satifying, and grabbing 6 mini muffins to get my fill made me feel continuously unsatisfied. But I did finally use up about half of that flower muffin liner stack you see in the picture, which I’ve had for too long. Just 30 or so more mini muffin liners to go before they’re finally used up. Whew.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ingredients (makes 8 muffins or about 28 mini-muffins)
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup (or honey or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter, melted (or olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable shortening, or oil of your choice)
- 1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips (I’m generous here, so you could get away with 1/4 cup if you don’t want to load up on chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Using a whisk, or mixer on a low setting, blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until well-blended.
- Fill each muffin liner about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is starting to brown a bit.
- Store covered or in the refrigerator.