Chocolate Chip Muffins {using coconut flour}

Chocolate chip muffin snacking

Here’s a little treat I’ve recently added to my day, since it has been highly compressed lately (the day, not the treat). I pop one or more of these (ok, at least three of the mini muffins) in my mouth as a quick sweet snack and wash it down with an Odwalla Tropical Energy smoothie, or a tall glass of water and some Valencia orange slices.

Muffins from the tin

Nothing too elaborate or extra-ordinary here. These just happen to be gluten-free and sugar-free (except for the chocolate chips). They fill me up, give me a quick hit of chocolate, and send me on my merry way.

Mini muffin prep

If you’re concerned about all that butter, I inadvertently made a batch of these without the butter (or any oil for that matter), and they tasted good. So you could actually reduce the amount and still have a tasty muffin.

Stack of mini muffin cups

A word about the mini muffins: They looked cuter than they actually were. They tasted fine, but the big ones are way more satifying, and grabbing 6 mini muffins to get my fill made me feel continuously unsatisfied. But I did finally use up about half of that flower muffin liner stack you see in the picture, which I’ve had for too long. Just 30 or so more mini muffin liners to go before they’re finally used up. Whew.

Muffin and milk

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  62 Comments

62 Responses to Chocolate Chip Muffins {using coconut flour}

1. Ashley says:

Oh YUM! Those look so great! I can’t wait to try :)

2. Meg says:

Erica, you are seriously my hero. I’d kind of given up on coconut flour, since all my previous efforts have resulted in dry, dense products. I HAD to try these, though, because I used to suffer from crippling chocolate chip muffin addiction. Now, three days later, I’m making a second batch of these moist, tasty little beauties. THANK YOU!

And you’re right, they do go beautifully with citrus. I eat them with clementines.

3. Jen says:

These were good (I made them as an after dinner snack). I am still getting used to the texture of coconut flour as it is more “grainy” than even the almond flour I use. Oddly, I also don’t love the taste of coconut but I am trying to get used to it as I think the benefits outweigh this. Also, I’ve noticed that some recipes using coconut flour have a strong coconut flavor, but others are hardly noticeable. Do you have any idea why this is?

In my experience it depends on the recipe and the other ingredients being used. If one or more ingredients have a stronger flavor then the coconut flavor will be hidden or overpowered. Also, coconut flour doesn’t retain the flavor as much as more raw coconut ingredients. Yes, it can taste grainy or fiber-like – it depends on how much flour the recipe calls for. The more eggs, the lighter the texture becomes which in turn reduces the amount of grainy texture.

4. Leslie says:

These were SO GOOD! I may have eaten all of them in just a couple of days…maybe. :)

5. Pam says:

My 7yr old is on the SCD diet which means we all are. I am always looking for tasty recipes for us all to enjoy. I am wondering what kind of Chocolate chips you use?

6. Jen says:

I made these for my daughter’s school Valentines Day party snack (her gluten free alternative to the store-bought choc chip muffins the rest of the class ate). She loved them. Yummy and so much healthier than the processed version. Thanks for putting a smile on both our faces!

7. Gisele says:

I made these muffins for my son’s second birthday and they were a big hit. My only problems was they stuck to the cup cake papers when you tried to peel them off. This happens a lot when I bake with coconut flour. Silicone muffin pans work, but I don’t like using them. So, how do you get the cup cakes to come off? Do you spray the paper? Thanks.

8. Nicola says:

These look delicious! I tried the recipe today and they turned out awful. I obviously did something wrong! Can anyone tell me what may have caused my batter to be completely liquified? The only thing I did differently from the recipe was to use Ghee instead of butter as my son is casein free. Thanks.

Nicola – I just took another look at this recipe because it failed me last week as well and I thought it was because I used jumbo eggs, but it is wrong!! My sincere apologies. And thanks for pointing this out. I just edited the recipe. It should be the same ratio of flour, etc. as in my very vanilla cupcakes, but I think I copied the wrong amounts in the final write-up. Again, it’s changed now and it should work. The eggs went from 6 to 4 eggs, and the amount of oil changed from 1/2 to 1/3 cup, which makes a big different in the moisture. Again, so terribly sorry!!

9. j3nn says:

Those look so good! Chocolate chip muffins are my favorite kind of muffin. :)

Question: When you use maple syrup to sweeten, does it take like maple or is it just general sweetness? Probably a silly question, but I’ve never used it in a way that I wasn’t going for maple flavors so I don’t know what to expect.

10. Pingback: Links I Love {Vol.13} + The Giveaway Winner!

11. Linda White says:

I tried these. My batter looked completely different than yours: much thicker. Did I do something wrong? I’m pretty sure i followed the inredients exactly. Also, they didnt turn out as pretty. I used melted coconut oil and honey instead of melted butter and maple syrup.

Not sure what to tell you because it works for me. I actually adjusted the amounts a while back – see the comments. Make sure you’re using coconut oil and not coconut butter.

12. Polly says:

These are excellent. I just made a batch as a post-workout protein breakfast food. I used a natural sweetener containing erythritol and stevia, beaten into the eggs at the start (so my muffins were really low carb, sugar & fructose free, low GI). Because I had no baking soda, I beat lots of air into the eggs (ie til they were light and creamy and doubled in volume).

I also used coconut butter as the fat component, because it is so healthy and can handle high temperatures without becoming damaged.

Sooo delicious!!! And an amazing texture, light, soft, crumbly, rich. A bit like a friand. Can’t wait to try a few different flavour variations. Thank you!

13. Janine Dietz says:

I just wanted to stop by and say I love your recipes! I just made these for my kids but I added about 1/4 cup of shredded coconut (and more sprinkled on top) and subbed almond extract for the vanilla for almond joy muffins. Super yummy and super moist! They are already asking for more!

14. Alexis Ridgway says:

Can you sub blueberries for chocolate chips? My son is in a nut free class and he loves muffins.

15. Therese says:

Delish! I made these for a paleo pot luck and they were a big hit. Thanks for sharing.

16. Dana says:

Can I substitute almond flour for the coconut flour?

Thanks!

17. Kristen says:

I tried these muffins, but used regular salt instead of sea salt, and used the maple syrup option instead of the honey option, and they are soooo good for not having any flour in them. I thought that the would be more dense with the coconut flour but they were nice and moist and fluffy! any more muffin ideas? blueberry or pumpkin muffins with coconut or almond flour?
    Great Recipe!

18. Jeanne J says:

If you wanted to make these as chocolate chocolate chip muffins (or cake), what do you think of adding 1/4 c. of cocoa powder? Would you increase the maple syrup/ honey to counteract the bitterness of the chocolate? I think I’m going to try it, without increasing the maple syrup/ honey. If nothing else, the extra color in the batter will probably have the effect I’m after. Thanks for any input on this.

• Meg says:

I’ve tried this and it was tasty. It made the cake a bit drier, but not too dry. I find the final product is moister if I let the batter sit once everything’s added in. I’m not food scientist, but my guess is that it gives the coconut flour more time to absorb the moist ingredients.

19. Heather says:

I just made these for my boyfriend’s work snacks and he loves them!

20. Meg says:

Erica – this recipe is phenomenal! I have been making these ALL THE TIME lately (as in, batches are overlapping!). As I mentioned in a comment above, I’ve made pistachio apricot, walnut chai, and chocolate cherry almond variations, just by substituting the chocolate chips (and in the case of the chocolate cherry almond, adding cocoa powder and subbing in half the vanilla with almond extract). I’m going to try frozen blueberries next – here’s hoping they’re not TOO moist.

This is really boosting my grain-free baking confidence, so thank you. I hope someday I’ll be able to come up with such great recipes on my own. :)

21. Trisha says:

Have you tried freezing these? I am planning on making a double batch and was wondering if leftovers would hold up in the freezer.

22. Michelle says:

Delicious! I made them tonight but substituted 2% fat greek yogurt! They were light, fluffy and awesome! Thanks :)

23. zooie says:

michelle, what did u sub the yogurt for and in what amts?

erica, the muffins freeze beautifully!
    great recipe! thank you!

24. Suzanne Wurster says:

First time using coconut flour, and these muffins are a hit! Wow…they are so good! Moist!

25. melissa says:

Could you use xylitol instead of honey or syrup..?

yes, I just don’t know how much as I haven’t tried it but this does ok with stevia replacing 1/4 cup of the maple syrup plus 1/4 cup of coconut milk or other milk.

26. Andrea says:

We are new to Paleo, and my hubby and I were having a hankerin for something sweet and baked. This hit the spot! In less than 24hrs my hubb, my 2 girls, my mom, and I have eaten all of the double batch I made ;) Mine made almost 2dozen regular size muffins. I added another handful of choc chips because I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!

27. D. Maynard says:

What is the carb count for these? I’m diabetic, and need to count my carb consumption.

28. Louis says:

Very good muffin.. thank you for the receipt… :-)

29. Pingback: 15 of the Best Coconut Flour Bread Recipes

30. Pingback: Summer Meal Plan | Choosing Inexpressible Joy

31. Jennifer says:

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who tried an egg substitute! Thinking about attempting with flax eggs. Thanks!!