Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and a Book

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler Filling

Strawberries and rhubarb are so swell together. I can happily eat just the filling, sauteed in butter, cinnamon, and honey, or placed on top of a bowl of yogurt. But the cobbler crust quickly turns this mixture into a comforting dessert for a crowd. Add some whipped cream or whipped yogurt, and it becomes fruity, tarty decadence.

Serving of Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Strawberry rhubarb is a classic combination, and rhubarb is a ruby red vegetable. The most popular varieties appear in late spring. Historically, rhubarb has been used medicinally for cleansing (it’s a natural laxative), while the leaves of the plant are toxic due mostly to their high oxalate content.

Strawberries and rhubarb

Besides this great combo of fruit and vegetable, I have some news for you. Several Comfy Belly readers have been asking me about a book over the last few years, and while I wanted to do it eventually, if it seemed right, I tucked the idea away for a later date. Then a few months ago, a publisher contacted me about writing a cookbook. So, yes, I’m officially writing a cookbook.

It is going to be filled with recipes that are based on SCD (paleo, gluten-free, lactose-free, sugar-free, and grain-free), which is how I started this journey. What began as an alternate universe in baking, shopping, and living, has become a way of life for myself, and many others. So many folks feel better as a result of changing the way they eat that it can’t be ignored. I’ll share more along the way, over the coming months. And maybe you can get involved? I’ll let you know how.

I’m very excited. Lots more to come. But for now, here’s a treat to take advantage of all the strawberries and rhubarb arriving at local markets. Even if you don’t think you like rhubarb (it’s quite acidic in it’s raw state), once baked with fruit, it mellows and softens. Enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  18 Comments

18 Responses to Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and a Book

1. Jane Doo says:

Congratulations! Even though I fell off the SCD wagon long ago I still regularly visit the page and refer people here all the time. I will definitely be buying your cook book!

2. Congratulations!!! This is so exciting! I love love love your recipes (this looks so tasty, too, by the way), and I cannot wait to read your cookbook!!! Yay! good luck :D

3. Penny says:

That’s wonderful news! Can’t wait to see what you put in it. Congratulations!

4. Karen says:

I’m so excited! I’m constantly on your site searching for your recipes – they are the best SCD-friendly on the web! My kids love them all too!

5. That is excellent news! The best of luck, I know you will succeed. P.S. This post put Rhubarb at the top of my grocery list for this week.

Thanks for all the support and kind words!

7. Mindy says:

what great news! congrats!

8. Candice says:

If anyone deserves it it is YOU! You and your food has changed my life! Congrats!

9. Kristin says:

How exciting! :) Congratulations! You can put me down for a pre-order or two!

10. Kellie says:

This is in the oven right now for a BBQ later today. It looks amazing! Can’t wait for the book!

11. Amber says:

That’s awesome, I love your recipes! I would be more than happy to be a recipe tester! :)

12. Jonny says:

Can’t wait for your cook book to come out, your recipes are amazing, thank you so much

13. Lacy says:

I feel silly asking this question but I can’t tell if there is a crust on the top and bottom or just the top?

not a silly question! just the top, like crumbles (just top), partly because the crust tends to get mushy with almond flour. See my apple pie for a way to keep a relatively firm crust while baking.