Snickerdoodles {using almond flour}

Comfy Belly: Snickerdoodles

If you’ve used my recipes or browsed my site, you may have come across this cinnamon cookie recipe. Using a similar ratio of ingredients and a slightly different baking time and temperature it magically transforms into a Snickerdoodle cookie—a crunchy, chewy butter cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar.

Snickerdoodles (3 of 5)

Comfy Belly: Snickerdoodles

I successfully tested this recipe with honey and maple syrup as the cookie sweetener. The maple syrup/butter batter is a bit wetter than the batter with coconut oil and honey or maple syrup, but both bake the same. I do have a preference for the cookie sweetened with maple syrup, but it’s just my taste buds talking.

For the cinnamon coating I ditched the refined granulated sugar and tested maple sugar and coconut palm sugar, and found no discerable difference in texture or flavor. Maple sugar is more expensive than the coconut palm sugar, if that’s a consideration. If you don’t or can’t eat either of these granulated sugars, just leave it out and lightly dust the cookies in ground cinnamon.

This cookie recipe is egg free, and while I know some of you may be tempted to toss an egg in there when you think the dough seems to crumble before your eyes, keep the faith and press the dough together. The honey and fat will keep things together, and rolling it into small balls will secure the flour granules as well.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  34 Comments

34 Responses to Snickerdoodles {using almond flour}

1. Jamie Collins says:

Can I use Earth Balance in place of the unsalted butter? Thanks!

2. I love all of your recipes. Can’t wait to try this one–my kids love your cinnamon cookie recipe already :)

3. Michael says:

Exactly what I was looking for! I really wanted snickerdoodles, but only had almond flour on hand. Thanks!

4. Melanie says:

Could I use coconut flour instead of almond flour?

5. I have a version of these yummy cookies too! Cinnamon + almonds = a great combination. I made them for a gluten-free friend, but ended up eating far more than I expected to (I’m not a big sweets person, so that’s a good sign I think). Here’s my version: http://cowenparkkitchen.com/almond-snickerdoodles/

6. Misty says:

I made these this morning. I do not think they will last through the day! My daughter said they were so good they could pass as cinnamon roll cookies! Yep! I think these passed the test! Thank you for such a great recipe!

7. Amy M says:

Any chance that stevia could be used? I am on a mostly sugar free diet. :) Looks GREAT!

8. Loretta says:

I’m eating a slightly warm one as I type this! My hubby and I both loved these. Mine were a little too runny to roll, so I chilled the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge. I probably could have chilled them a little longer because they spread quite a bit, but they still taste great!

Good to know. I haven’t had my batters runny, but the maple syrup/melted butter can be much softer. Yes, chilling is a great idea if the batter is runny.

9. Susan says:

Without the sugar to add to the mix, just rolling it in cinnamon is a bit overwhelming to the flavor, I found. I think I’d just dust one side of the pressed cookie next time.

10. Denise says:

Going to make these tomorrow. Can’t wait to have a snickerdoodle again. I bought your cookbook too. That should be here Monday!

11. katy says:

This is a 4-5g CHO cookie–WOOT! I am making these immediately—perfect on a rainy day with a to-do list that fills me with dread. Thank you. I am glad Ann sent me here.

12. katy says:

vanilla in with the butter and sugar, right?

i have them in the oven. they’re smelling superfine.

13. Pingback: Snickerdoodles for Risk Averse Almond Flour Bakers | Bigfoot Child Have Diabetes

14. katy says:

they ate all 27 cookies yesterday. i am making more now. i promise i won’t leave a comment every time i make them.

i’m kind of excited.

15. Amy says:

I ran out of local honey (so good) and didn’t have any maple syrup (can be pricey)but I did pick up some black strap molasses! I substituted that for the honey and omg they are so good! I did add an egg though I must admit.
    Im loving the molasses though, it is good for you and good for paleo!
    Its a win win.

16. Rachel says:

Just made these for my diabetic husband (who has a sweet tooth!). These are delicious and very low carb. I only used 1/4 cup maple syrup and they were still plenty sweet. There were less than 4g carbs per cookie!

17. D. Maynard says:

Maple sugar and coconut palm sugar are not available in my area, and I’ve never heard of Muscovado. Any ideas what I could use in place of those?

18. spilyoso says:

Who knew something so basic could be so delicious! Love them!

19. Anonymous says:

I never post comments on blog-type recipes but this recipe was awesome. I was skeptical at first because it only contained almond flour…no coconut flour like the rest of the recipes I googled. I decided to make it for its simplicity (no “hard to find” ingredients like guar gum, xantham gum, sorghum flour, evaporated cane juice, etc.) and hoped that it would come out great. I made the recipe with honey and butter instead of coconut oil and maple syrup. These were so yummy…soft and perfect. Just the right amount of cinnamon. My toddler loved them, my gluten free, egg free husband loved them and I basically ate the whole batch only leaving a handful for my family ;o)

Best part, you can get all of the ingredients at Trader Joe’s…and their almond flour is a bargain!

Thanks, Jennie! Did Trader Joe’s start selling blanched almond flour or did you use almond meal? Just curious. Interesting that they came out soft – I bake them until they’re browning around the edges and when they cool they’re crunchy on the edges and soft in the middle.