Pumpkin Muffins {using coconut flour}

Pumpkin muffins (made with coconut flour)

After making a deliciously moist pumpkin bread using almond flour, I decided this could be an opportunity for coconut flour to shine. After all, coconut flour certainly does suck up a lot of moisture. And between the liquid sweetener and the eggs, there should be enough moisture to go around.

Pumpkin muffins, split

As you may know already, getting the right balance of sweetness and moisture with coconut flour can be tricky. I find coconut flour more challenging to bake with than almond flour, but it doesn’t stop me because I love the protein and fiber it offers. I also prefer not to taste the coconut fiber in my baked goodies, and I don’t want it too eggy either. There in lies the trick to working with coconut flour.

Pumpkin muffins, sharing

The result—not as moist as the pumpkin bread made with almond flour, but it’s not dry either. In any case, if you like baking with coconut flour, this is a keeper. And add nuts and/or raisins (or other dried fruit) to make it richer. You can use this recipe to make one loaf of pumpkin bread, or about 8 pumpkin muffins. The muffins take a little less time to bake, but both bake quite well, and quite evenly.

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, SCD, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-free  |  57 Comments

57 Responses to Pumpkin Muffins {using coconut flour}

1. Funny to see this today, I am making and posting my recipe today too for the same thing! Tis the season! I bet they were more moist the second day- right? Coconut flour baked goods get more and more moist every day. I’ll link to your recipe on my FB site. Looks good!

2. PS how did they NOT stick to the papers? I have the worst time with coconut flour muffins sticking. But maybe because I use different sweeteners. I may have to try your recipe with honey to see if that is the trick!

They might be sticking to the paper if there’s too much sweetener, or as you say, it’s the kind of sweetener. But honey and maple syrup are sticky too. Maybe less egg as well?

• Sunshine says:

A little trick i learned while attempting to bake low carb is to spay the inside of the muffin papers with a mist cooking oil like ‘Pam’ before filling them with the muffin mix. Some times they still stick a little.. But they no longer steal the entire outer side & bottom of my muffins. Best wishes

3. I have every ingredient in the pantry already. Will be making this tomorrow for breakfast!

4. michelle says:

Can these be made with stevia or xylitol?

5. These look SOOOO moist and good! Do you really find almond flour moister? It does have much more oil, but coconut is more hygroscopic. I can’t use eggs in my baking, so I can’t use coconut flour exclusively… it really needs the eggs. But these look good so I’ll try them out! (Using my necessary substitutions…)

Beautiful photos!

~Mel

• Briana says:

A good egg substitute is 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds and 2 tablespoons water. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and it should gel up. It’s equivalent to 1 egg.

6. Pingback: Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – October 30, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch

7. Kathleen says:

I used smashed pumpkin instead of pureed and increased the flour to 1/2 cup to accommodate for high altitude (6500 ft). It had to cook for about 15 minutes longer but came out moist and tastes great. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Jenni says:

Made these today and they were fantastic! I now use coconut flour exclusively for all my baking… turned out great!
    I did however omit the honey and added homemade applesauce mixed with stevia and a little xyltiol instead.
    They were moist and flavorful! Served them to friends (who are not gluten or sugar free) and everyone loved them. Thanks for the recipe! Keep em comin ;)

9. Pingback: What to do with pumpkin? - Page 2 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 2

10. Dianne says:

Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! My second batch is in the oven now…I doubled the recipe and used canned puree and added dried cranberries along with the walnuts and baked in a 9×13. Last time I bagged the individual portions and frozen them. They are soft and moist 5 minutes after removing them from the freezer and perfect with our morning cup of coffee. My GF husband is especially thankful!

I also made the vanilla cupcakes for Easter…delicious! We made regular powdered sugar icing that we colored with a little beet water for sweet pink cuppy cakes. What a treat!

11. Patiences says:

I just made these; yum! Coconut flour is so tricky, but this was a great recipe. I used my donut pan instead of the muffin tin, and the kids loved them. I think the next time I make them I will use less honey; 3/4 cup was a little too much for my taste buds. Thank you for the recipe!

12. Deeza says:

I love this! Thank you for posting. I never know what to do with coconut flour. I have made this twice now and my kids love it ( they are pretty picky). I skip the paper liners and use silicone muffin molds instead. Then they don’t stick nearly as much.

13. carrie says:

These were great!! I added walnuts and a small amount of dark chocolate chips and sprinkled walnuts on the tops of the muffins before baking. I also used half maple syrup, half honey. I’ve tried making other recipes with coconut flour, and these are definitely the yummiest of them!!

14. Liza says:

I was so excited about making these but I think I faile miserably. My batter was not much of a batter at all but instead was very crumbly and dry. I made sure I used all the ingredients but they turned out awful!! Maybe I didn’t get the right amount of flour…forgive my terrible math skills but how much is 3/8 of a cup? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

so sorry! 3/8 is a tricky one. I added the breakdown: 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons.

• Liza says:

Well, if I had not failed fractions in elementary school these muffins might have turned out better! :) i put wayyy too much flour in them. They tasted so good that I hated to let it go to waste. so I ended up making bread pudding with almond milk and eggs with the leftovers. It turned out great!! Can’t wait to try these again with the *right* amount of flour!! :)

15. eric says:

Wow, these might be the best muffins I’ve ever had. Amazing that they are GF and SCD. As someone mentioned, I think I’ll try applesauce instead of honey one time. So moist and fluffy. Thanks for sharing.

16. Linda says:

These were really great and turned out well. They are a little sweet – I used organic raw honey.. I think I’ll try a combination of applesauce and honey next time, or agave. Thanks for posting this!

17. Pingback: GAPS Diet: Coconut Flour Pumpkin Muffins « The Spark Blog

18. Hannah says:

I started making these and realized I only had 2 eggs left. Then I tried to switch to Pumpkin Bread 2.0 and realized I had no almond flour left. I’ve just entered experimental baking territory.

19. Nicole says:

Has anyone tried this with canned pumpkin instead? I happen to have some around and I’d rather use that than run out to buy something else.

20. Ladonna says:

Nicole, I used canned pumpkin and made the bread. It was amazing! Hubby ate it all in less than two days!

21. Mari says:

I baked these muffins yesterday. They turned out to be amazing! Thank you sooo much!

22. AJ says:

When you say you use the convection setting, does that mean you put it to 325? Since if the recipe calls for it to be 350, you would do the convection 25 below that. Or Do you just do it in the convection at 350?

I use convection bake at the setting in the recipe. So if it calls for 375 degrees F, I set it at 375 degrees in convection bake mode. Supposedly convection just speeds up the baking time, but my experience is that, depending on the oven, it bakes at a hotter temperature as well. Ovens vary, unfortunately.

23. Pingback: Dairy Free: Your Best Alternative to Milk, Butter, and More! « - tagline

24. Kimberly says:

Wow!! These are SO GOOD! I LOVE THEM! I made them to take to a halloween party tonight, and its a miracle there are any of them left to take a long. I made a double batch, and turrned them into mini muffins! Love them!

They went straight into my recipe book! Thanks!

25. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: “Oh, Hi” Edition | Saturated Facts

26. Stephanie Smith says:

Delicious! I was looking for a coconut flour pumpkin bread recipe and this one was perfect! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I seriously couldn’t be happier! And it’s my birthday, and I made this for breakfast! Tasty and easy!

27. I was just about to make this recipe, but noticed there’s no fat included. Is this an oversight, or intentional?

28. lisa says:

Has anyone had luck when subbing for eggs in any of these grain free recipes? My son is gluten and egg allergic=( we use alot of egg substitute but wasnt sure if you could sub out that many eggs

29. Shari Rozansky says:

Mmmmmm – I can’t stop mmmmming:)

Just delicious! I kept the recipe as is – used maple syrup, no walnuts and added golden raisins to the batter.

Delicious nutritious treat and my family really enjoyed them. Next time I’ll have to make a double batch:)

Thanks for the recipe!

30. These look amazing! I just made some carrot cake waffles the other day but this really feels like a fall treat!! Can’t wait to try them! Oh and do you ever use the silicon muffin holders. They are the best thing since sliced bread…well, you know what I mean. Love your site!

31. Cecilia says:

Thank you Comfy Belly for the yummiest muffins I have ever tasted the past 11 gluten free years of my life! You even got me baking, something I had never done before – started with your pumpkin bread two weeks ago, the recipe where there was banana added as well and went on to the muffins this weekend.
    Yum! Thanks!

32. Joy says:

Great! I was looking for a low carb recipe using pumpkin and coconut flour. I doubled the recipe and baked it in a bundt pan. I used sugar free syrup as my sweetner (all I had other than real sugar) and I used 6 eggs and 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream. Turned out moist and delicious. With some vanilla cream cheese glaze it was delicious!

33. Pingback: Coconut Flour Pumpkin Bread With Raisins (Without Almond Flour) | "Every Man Is The Builder Of A Temple Called His Body"

34. Theresa says:

Sugar (syrup,honey) substitute: I substitued 1/4 cup almond milk (any milk will do) with 1/4tsp liquid stevia (Trader Joes brand) and 1/4 tsp extract of anything (I had maple extract, so I used that, so good)
    I also added a couple Tbsp shredded coconut and coco-nibs. I think I would add a little coconut oil next time.

35. Jennifer says:

Was DYING for a Paleo sweet potato bread with coconut flour! Not terribly impressed with my almond flour attempts (probably need to try another brand). These were AMAZING. I’m totally in love. Perfect quick bread texture. Did add a Tbsp or 2 do coconut oil & some walnuts. Killed the craving I’ve had since the Christmas cookie platters started rolling into the office ;-)

36. Rita says:

Thankssssss for recipe , I followed the recipe (1/2c honey) and 35 min baking time and used canned pumpkin, turn out perfect and yummy :)