Raw Brownie Bites

Raw brownie bite with cacao powder

The only reason I call these brownie bites is because they’re intoxicating, and therefore I suggest you savor these slowly and in small amounts to prevent any sudden overdose of enjoyment.

Raw brownie bites with cacao powder

This recipe is different from the gluten-free baked brownie recipes I’ve made in the past using nut butter, not only because there’s no baking involved, but also because they’re sweetened entirely with Medjool dates.

Medjool Dates

While the only source of sweetness in this recipe comes from the Medjool dates, you’re getting quite a bit more than sweetness when you eat dates, including valuable fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including copper, magnesium, and potassium. I’m constantly looking for sources of magnesium and other minerals to reduce my tendency to cramp after a hard bike ride, tennis match, or yoga session.

Walnuts and dates

I was inspired by several raw truffle and brownie recipes, including this recipe from My New Roots. I’m think’in this would make a healthy Valentine’s Day treat. So happy heart day! Literally.

Posted in Dairy-Free, Desserts, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Paleo, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  52 Comments

52 Responses to Raw Brownie Bites

1. Tara says:

These sound like something I would have an overdose of enjoyment from! I can’t WAIT to try these! I just bought a 5 lb bag of raw dates too! :) I’m trying to cut out sugar and grains from my diet, and this sounds like something I would really really enjoy… Thanks :)

2. Andrea says:

These are such a great treat! So many fun variations are possible too! I like to add peppermint oil or raw cacao chips.

Oh, I know! I tried to restrain myself so I could share the most basic recipe and the basis for many others. Orange oil, raspberry syrup, epresso bean powder, almond oil, and so much more! Just endless :)

3. Christine Robinett says:

these look and read tasty. I wanted to comment on muscle cramps and magnesium. No matter how much whole foods rich in magnesium we might eat, those on the Gluten Spectrum invariably have malabsorption issues, even once healed. Compound that with the fact soils are so depleted that even if you eat 100% organc, you’re not going to get enough nutrients just from eating. Whille I’m a whole foods person and counsel patients all the time in traditional food therapy, I also recommend supplements. When someone has muscle ramps I generally recommend magnesium in a chelated formula but Mg Oxide works well and is cheaper. I also add Potassium. I’m finding so many people are K+ deficient, which could be an underlying cause of Hypertension. This is not meant as medicial treatment. It’s a starting point to rethink your nutritional needs and possibly reverse troubling conditions. Changing my diet and supplements reversed pre-Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, DH, and other auto- immune factors. I’m working on Potassium for Hypertension that hasn’t responded any conventional or CAM approaches in any meaningful way until now. So far, it takes 2- 99 mg x QID for a total 8 tablets spread throughout the day PLUS 250 mg Magnesium x3. So far, I’ve noticed several benefits beyond lower BP. What a compllete reversal of what we’re inculcated to trust is the only path to treatment for a myriad of diseases.

4. Carrie says:

These look so amazing. And I have the biggest chocolate tooth, perhaps this side of the Cascades, so I’d love to dive in … but I can’t do almond flour. Might coconut flour be used instead?

5. Wow, these look amazing! My massage therapist made me brownies just like this the other day but she said the recipe was secret. These look SO similar. Totally going to make them for HER and see what she says. hehe

6. dana says:

can you use cacao butter rather than powder to make it SCD legal?

7. Helena says:

Have just discovered your blog while looking for pudding recipes that use avocado and am so excited! I am a vegetarian, but my daughter has nut allergies, which makes this recipe daunting. It looks so incredible that I am determined to find a way to modify it, however.
    And am even more excited to see all the recipes utilizing coconut flour – have never heard of this!! I have many, many friends with multiple dietary restrictions – this blog gives me so many ideas! Thanks for gifting it to us.

8. Susan says:

If I were to use almond flour instead of pulsing nuts, do you know how much I should use? thanks.

ooh. good question. I don’t know for sure, but I would go with 1 1/2 cups and see how the consistency is. Measuring 2 cups of nuts leaves a lot of air space. It might be closer to 1 3/4 cups but start slow. And let us know if you remember.

9. Fiona Elliott says:

Just made these and they were very tasty. Can’t remember how many dates i put in but it wasn’t 16 maybe 10 so mine has a real chocolate bite. Lovely treat…I have just hidden them in the freezer so I can dig one or two out when I’m feeling like a treat.

beautiful

10. Susan says:

I made these for my son w/Crohn’s for Valentine’s Day and he loved them! I really appreciated being able to give him a special treat. I used 1-3/4 cups almond flour, so thanks for the tip.

11. Nicole Smith says:

Do you dehydrate your nuts first?

12. Mary says:

My grandson is alergic to nuts and dairy. What would be a suitable replacement for the nuts?

13. Eileen Falson says:

I was wondering if you could substutute the dates with natural peanut butter?

14. Melissa says:

Amazingly delicious! :)

15. ilana says:

Seriously one of the best recipes I’ve ever tried. Thank you so much. These are definitely going to be a new house staple for me!

16. ilana says:

Also, I did the calorie calculations in case you are interested.
    If you cut the brownies into 24 pieces, each piece is: 88 calories, 6g fat, 2.4g fiber and 2g protein.

Bonus: They are kosher for passover!

17. Katrina says:

I want to make these today, but only have cocoa powder on hand, can I substitute it for the cacao powder?

18. Ginger Burke says:

Thank you for these! They are delicious! I’ve included a link to them on my list of favorite healthy homemade snacks. http://expectgreatthings.hubpages.com/hub/Sugar-Free-Grain-Free-Snacks-Even-Your-Children-Will-Eat-Homemade

19. Jen says:

IMA LOVIN’ THIS RECIPE! I adore dates to sweeten recipes. I call dates “God’s candy”. What a gift He gave for us to enjoy! Thanks for this recipe. I’m excited to try it.

Jen

20. I’m so glad you linked this recipe to your facebook page. Just made them this morning and they are awesome!

21. Pingback: Stocking your Grain Free Pantry | My Delicious Life

22. Christine says:

Have you substituted carob for the cacao??
    I am sensitive to it!! Can you believe that!! no more chocolate!!!! uhhh

not yet. I’m going to try it soon. I did cut down and had some yesterday – a small amount (non-sugar kind) and I was ok, but I’m being really careful. It would be tragic to not be able to eat chocolate!

23. Jenn says:

I just made these. I soaked the walnuts first and I added 1/4 cup of spirulina for some extra nutrition. They are very yummy and not too sweet. We cut ours with heart cookie cutters for v day.

THANKS!

24. Krista says:

Love these! Easy and delicious!

25. Sherell says:

My husband can’t have nuts so we used cashews instead. Delish!

26. Katie says:

Do you have a suggested quantity if using almond pulp(leftover from making almond milk and not dehydrated)?

27. Tanya says:

I didn’t have walnuts, so I ended up using what nuts I had (mix of brazil, peanuts and mixed nuts ) and even then, I had to add half quantity of coconut flakes.

The dates I used were the small ones, and I had to add ALOT, to get it to start sticking, and still, it didn’t. I resorted to adding melted butter. And 1 Tbs of caster sugar as it was a bit bitter.

Tasted really good. I think the coconut flakes made it not stick too well, and the fact that I could not grind my nut / coconut mixture very fine.

28. Pingback: Strawberries and Cream No Bake Pie (Paleo, SCD) | My Delicious Life