Chocolate Zucchini Bread {and chocolate frosting}

Comfy Belly: Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Where is your zucchini inventory at these days? I’ve noticed my zucchini bread recipe is quite active lately so I’m sharing another zucchini bread recipe that’s slated for my next cookbook.

Comfy Belly: Chocolate Zucchini Bread

I don’t have a variety of pictures for this recipe because I tend to focus on getting one good photo that works well in a cookbook format, versus the myriad of photos I try to take when I’m sharing a recipe for this site. Time is of the essence right now since I have a book deadline looming and I lost a week or so of work time thanks to computer problems. First world problems. Onward.

Comfy Belly: Simple Chocolate Frosting

Simple Chocolate Frosting

This chocolate bread is not too decadent but just enough to eat as an everyday snack cake. You can make it even less decadent by excluding the chocolate chips, or take it in the other direction by spreading a simple chocolate frosting or dripping a chocolate ganache over the top once the bread has cooled. I’ll leave the extras up to you but I’ve included a simple chocolate frosting with diary-free options that’s also going in the next book.

And for International folks you may be happy to see both metric and Imperial measurements, which is a requirement for the next book and something I’ll try to provide for all future recipes. Cheers!

Posted in Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, Nut-Free, Paleo, Sauces & Dressings, Snacks, Vegetarian, Wheat-Free  |  24 Comments

24 Responses to Chocolate Zucchini Bread {and chocolate frosting}

1. Erin says:

Yay, a zucchini bread recipe with coconut flour! I can’t wait to try this one. Thank you.

you’re welcome :)

• Erin says:

I’m eating some right now (sans frosting) with my coffee. :) Delicious and such a nice texture. Have you tried adding any spices to this recipe? I’m thinking next time (this is already the second batch I’ve made, so batch three will probably be coming next week) I might try it with some cinnamon or even nutmeg….

honestly I haven’t had enough time to experiment with the spices but I totally agree, cinnamon and even some chili powder might be great!

2. Jill says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting in the metric measurements as well! It makes such a difference. I have been put off buying some American etc cookbooks even though I love some of the recipes simply because I have to fiddle around to get the right ratios due to having to convert everything as well as the apparent differences in cup and spoon measurements etc. Thank you once again – I look forward to trying this!

You’re welcome :) (now I just hope I they’re correct!)

• Samantha says:

I’ve made this recipe twice. Both times I omitted the chocolate chips and used xylitol without changing anything. The first time I used 1/3 cup xylitol the second I used 1/4 cup. I weighed all the ingredients that had a weight and it’s been fantastic. I like the 1/4 cup xylitol the best. I like this recipe as brownies and they are the best cold out of the refrigerator.

3. Jeanne says:

I can’t have honey or the maple syrup–do you know how much I could use to substitute with Erythritol or another artificial sweetner? I guess what I need to know is the sweetening power or substation of honey-and if I would need additional liquid?

I’d suggest 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon stevia plus 1/3 cup coconut milk or other milk. I haven’t tested this though.

• Jeanne says:

ok great–thanks so much-I will give it try

• Samantha says:

oops! This comment was supposed to go here, not to the previous comment!

I’ve made this recipe twice. Both times I omitted the chocolate chips and used xylitol instead of maple syrup without changing anything. The first time I used 1/3 cup xylitol the second I used 1/4 cup. I weighed all the ingredients that had a weight and it’s been fantastic. I like the 1/4 cup xylitol the best. I like this recipe as brownies and they are the best cold out of the refrigerator!.

4. Iris says:

I love your recipes and thank you for such a great website! I made the chocolate zucchini bread (I doubled the recipe to make two loaves). The recipe came out a little watery at the bottom. Does that mean it needed more time in the oven? I know every oven is different but the knife came out clean on the test. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks again for a great site and keep up the great work! I will be on the look out for your cookbooks.

Thanks! Yes, the zucchini was probably a bit too moist. For the next time, a few things to try: wring out the moisture from the zucchini in a towel, or drain the zucchini in a colander by pressing on it and also dry it off with paper towels.

5. Debbie says:

This was delicious! My 3 year old helped me make it and has been asking for more “bikini bread”.

6. jackie says:

Hi I was wondering if I could use the gluton free all purpose flour instead of the coconut flour?

7. Pingback: Character | This Lunch Rox

8. Carly says:

I just made this (without the frosting) and it is SO GOOD! Super moist and chocolatey- you can’t tell at all that there is zucchini in there. Great recipe. Thank you!

9. Mandy says:

I’ve made this several times (w/o the frosting) & like it a lot. Has anyone successfully doubled the recipe & baked in a 9×13 pan?

10. Cale Reed says:

First off, this recipe was absolutely amazing!
    For anyone looking for a lower carb version:
    I omitted the sweetener (honey/maple syrup) entirely and instead did 1/3 cup of full fat canned coconut milk + 1/4 tsp of SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia extract. Chopped up a 99% Dark Chocolate bar (~30g worth) and used that instead of chocolate chips. Also made them into 8 muffins in lieu of the original bread idea: they were incredible! Not too sweet at all but insanely chocolatey and moist. Thank you soooo much for the recipe. These things are freaking awesome toasted (broiled in the oven) for a few minutes, then sliced in half and spread with coconut butter. Will be making again, and again, and again.