Are you overrun by strawberries? I am. I started a strawberry patch last summer with stray strawberry plants that were inadvertently donated by my neighbor, and I can’t keep up. The easiest thing I can do right now is make strawberry freezer jam.
When it’s warm, this jam is great over ice cream or other cold, creamy dessert. And when it’s cold, it’s great with yogurt, crackers, toast, ice pops, tarts, and in cookies.
Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of honey (or other sweetener)
- 2 cups of strawberries (washed and tops trimmed off)
- Place the strawberries in a blender, food processor, or Vita-Mix, and blend until pureed. You can also mash them by hand with a potato masher.
- Combine the mashed strawberries, lemon juice, and honey in a saucepan, and bring to a steady, low boil.
- Boil for about 30 minutes, or until the volume decreases by at least a 3rd.
- Cool to room temperature, and place in tightly closed glass jars, or other containers, leaving some space at the top for freezing expansion. It will last in the fridge for about 2 weeks, or in the freezer for a few months.